• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a rail plus rings for a ZCO 5 to 27. Suggestions?

upsdownsideways

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2020
Remington 700 SA going into a MPA Matrix chassis.

I was thinking of having between 10 and 20 extra MOA, thoughts?

I was looking at the MPA for the rings, as I need to order the stock through them as well.

Ok, didn't know if there was a huge difference between Spuhr and MPA when it came to rings.

Adjustable Eratac. You'll get from 0 to 70 MOA of adjustments with that.

I would use something in the Badger, Nightforce quality range. There a many quality rails on the market. I run 20 moa on all my rifles.

Depends what you're trying to achieve. Do you plan to switch the optic between platforms? Have you looked at Spuhr 6601?

Its not being switched.

And I did look, but at $410 I am not sure if that is a bit overkill.

Its not being switched.

And I did look, but at $410 I am not sure if that is a bit overkill.
Overkill? Yet, you're buying a ZCO...

Your money, I get it... but if I was buying a ZCO I would make damn sure that the rings I'm putting them inside are top-notch.

And FWIW, I run 40 MOA total for my ZCOs and have 29.5 mils of elevation.

They recommend between 40 and 50 MOA on the rails/mount to use with the 5x27. I have 40 MOA on mine, same as you.

Your money, I get it... but if I was buying a ZCO I would make damn sure that the rings I'm putting them inside are top-notch.

Reactions: Huskydriver

I have no qualms about paying for quality, but sometimes the quality is a bit overpriced for what you get in relation to other items.

I have no qualms about paying for quality, but sometimes the quality is a bit overpriced for what you get in relation to other items.
I don't understand... so you're saying Spuhr is overpriced? lol

You're buying a nearly $4k piece of glass... let that settle in for a second. Spuhr mounts are used by the top competitors in the world with results. For how they're made and what you DO get with them (modularity, strength, etc.), I think they're actually underpriced.

You're buying a nearly $4k piece of glass... let that settle in for a second. Spuhr mounts are used by the top competitors in the world with results. For how they're made and what you DO get with them (modularity, strength, etc.), I think they're actually underpriced.

you obviously havent seen all the threads on here about failed sphur mounts

Reactions: spife7980
Spuhr fixed this in their Gen 2 (existing) mounts. They had no issues replacing any and all mounts (caused by a bad screw spacing). This is a non-issue. If you can link a recent failure, I would like to know.

thats good to know, i think @upsdownsideways was trying to say that there are just as good mounts with a better track record at a better price point than the ever so popular sphur

Reactions: NiteQwill
not trying to mess with you @NiteQwill or start an argument but did you see the rant in the bear pit last week
hilarious
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/spuhr-is-over-rated-prove-me-wrong.7037265/
Roger that, Chief. I try to avoid The Bear Pit... lol. It... can... turn toxic. haha

But I will certainly read it. Lots of times issues (with any mounts) is due to improper mounting techniques in my experience. I've f*cked up a mount before because of my ignorance, so I'm not immune.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee

I never said they were, I obviously don't know much about them and I was inquiring as to what their worth is.

Here's the basic math for you :)

With my 300 NM AXSR, 20 MOA rail and 20 MOA in the mount (40 MOA total) @ 200 yards uses a tad over 9 Mils on my ZCO 5x27 to zero. Leaving available about 26 Mils of elevation adjustment.

Starting with just 20 MOA in rail/base would require approximately 15 Mils to zero @ 200 yards. Leaving now only 20 additional Mils of elevation adjustment.

Using 50 MOA in the rail/base you'd get another 3 Mills of elevation.

How much would you get outta one with 20 moa
Rail built in on receiver? Why 40&50 moa? How far ya shooting ?