• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need a scope for my new Remington 700 5R...thinking SWFA SS 3-15x42?

MS204

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Hi guys,

1st post here. I'm a complete newbie to long range shooting, and I have not had much time behind a rifle at that. However after shooting a buddy's SPS Tactical I knew I would really like this sport. I found myself an amazing deal on a brand new Remington 5R in 308 and now need to wait 10 days before picking it up (California, sigh.)

My question is, would the soon-to-be-released SWFA SS 3-15x42 be a good scope choice for this rifle? My budget is $1k, but I still need to pick up a scope mount and rings so I need to factor that in as well. I know there aren't any reviews out for it yet but from what I can tell, it seems to be in direct competition with the Vortex PST 4-16 FFP and Weaver 3-15 Tactical. It's not a HD model but folks seem to think really highly of SWFA glass. The reticle seems pretty decent. I think I like the G2DMR from Bushnell better but that's out of my immediate budget. I plan to learn as I go and shoot at 100-300 yard ranges. The longest range within reasonable distance for me is a 600 yard range in the mountains, but I won't be able to go there often, perhaps once every few months.

I want a scope I can use to learn how to shoot, learn mil measuring, and assist with working up accurate handloads. The new SS sounds like it would fit my needs but is there anything else I should consider or look at?

I was thinking of going with Seekins for both the scope mount and rings unless you guys could suggest something better?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

I've owned the Weaver 3-15 EDMR, SWFA 5-20HD and looked through a friends standard SWFA 10X and played with a fellow shooters PST. The weaver will have the best glass of all three of them. Before I sold both the weaver and at the time a 5-20HD I compared them side by side and to my eyes (I know its subjective to each person) were extremely close with the SWFA edging the weaver by a very slim margin, and I had to keep going back and forth to notice it. The new scope is not HD glass however. Unless you get a lemon any of the 3 will stand up to the average punishment any recreational shooter will put them through. All 3 should track just fine unless of course, a lemon. Reticle wise its a personal choice, though the weaver's is the slimmest at 0.04mil, then the SWFA at 0.05 and I believe the PST at 0.06. Personally I'd choose Weaver first, then would probably go back and forth between the other 2.

Can't say enough about the seekins rings, excellent choice.

Thanks for the reply. I was also looking at the Bushnell 3-12x44 with G2DMR reticle. I'm not sure how I should go about deciding what scope to get? Should I be putting emphasis on magnification? I understand valued features like FFP, zero stop, nice turrets, etc but is there anything else I need to worry about? As far as punishment goes, the scope and rifle will have an easy life with the most threatening thing that could possibly happen to them being a car accident to and from the gun range. However it's nice to know these things are built solid.

None of them are high mag so that for the most part is a moot point. Really nothing else to worry about with any of them. Throwing the bushy in the mix only adds the G2 reticle which is a very nice reticle. Weaver would still have the best glass but the most basic and thinnest reticle. Vortex then SWFA would have the best warrenty. Vortex and Bushnell would have the best reticle and only the Weaver and PST are illuminated. I'm sure by now you are aware the Bushnell is the most expensive, then the PST, Weaver and SWFA. If only one could put the illuminated PST reticle in the Weaver you'd have a killer $800 scope.

I vote for the Vortex. Here's my PST on my old rifle.

Attachments

• 000_0857.jpg
    000_0857.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I think in terms of reticle preference I would rank them as Bushnell, Vortex, SWFA, then Weaver. I'm not even sure how much that will matter but something tells me it will be a smart move to get the reticle I like most. I'm also thinking any one of these scopes could be put on an AR platform down the road if/when I upgrade. As far as best value...hands down SWFA. I think that's what's making it a hard decision for me. If it were between Vortex and Bushnell, I'd go with Vortex b/c of the warranty alone. I know I said I'd probably baby my gear but the peace of mind is worth it, especially since they're priced the same. I'm not concerned with illumination since I don't ever plan on shooting late....but I bet I'd regret not having it the first time I do, haha.

SWFA might get the nod only b/c I need the mount and rings too. But Vortex has me seriously considering....

If only one could put the illuminated PST reticle in the Weaver you'd have a killer $800 scope.
I totally agree.

Short answer yes, that will be a fine scope.

I started with a 308 sps tactical and a 2.5-10x mil-dot moa turret Nikon tactical. This set up shot well, but now that I have a few years experience under my belt, several thousand rounds down range and a training class in the mix… I have found I favor FFP scopes, a magnification top end somewhere around 15-20 power. I have a couple SWFA SS 5-20’s and think they are one of the best scopes for your money. I love the reticle and did some of the best ranging with it at the class I took. I plan to get one or more of the 3-15’s primarily because it is what I believe is the best power range for all purpose with an eye toward hunting and unlike its bigger brother is weights less. So sight unseen I think it will be a great all purpose scope. But again the 5-20 is a great scope for the buck.

I'm sure I can get you a 4-16 vortex ffp mil, rings, and a mount for $1k. Let me know if you're interested (send me a pm)

The SWFA 3-15 is definitely something I'd like to check out - possibly for a 223 build.