• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Need advice moving to Charlotte, NC (probably)

ANGLICOMarine

Retired Marine
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
All-
My wife and I are planning on moving to the SE after I retire from the Corps this summer. Charlotte is on our short list as far as where we'd like to move. I need advice as to where around the city we should look to live. I'm a country kid from Michigan and grew up with a woods to hunt in at the end of my street and had a river across the street. My wife is an uptown girl from the Bronx...you can see my dilema. What I need is a few suggestions for a nce neighborhood around Charlotte with a decent mix of open space, but still the ammenities found in a urban area. Please provide some suggestions. Also, how is the shooting around the area?

Thank you for any advice you offer.

Re: Need advice moving to Charlotte, NC (probably)

IMHO, you want to stay out of Mecklenburg Co at all costs. Taxes will kill you there. They have to fund all the scum that live in the city so you get taxed to the max, not just on rate, but on bogus values. You dont have to go far though to get away from the scumballs. For the least amount of traffic into the city, should one of you have to work there, get on the west side, Gaston/Lincoln co, or on the east side, Cabarrus/Stanly co. If you go north, you get Iredell, which is nice, but traffic on 77 is a nightmare. I live on the west side and in less than an hour, even during rush hour, I am in Charlotte. But I can shoot on my property anytime I want.

We have a fairly active high power scene around here, with Butner being our 1,000 yard home range. From Charlotte, about 2.5hrs. I am 3 hrs away on the west side, but I also have Oak Ridge in under 4 hrs. We have Catawba Valley R*P just 25 mins away, a 300 yard range with pits.

If you shoot another discipline, or just a plinker, not sure if any of that helps.

And as far as neighborhoods, I cant help ya much there as my nearest neighbor is over 1/2 mile away...and thats too close! :)