• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advice on a new lawn mower

Trevor300wsm

Team Pantydropper
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 8, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Hey all,

I have 3 acres that I live on. Half of it that I consider my "yard" is fairly smooth with some pretty good hills/inclines. The other half behind the house is some rough shit in places, flatter, but much rougher. I'm tired of paying to have the yard mowed, so it's time to buy a new mower.

I'm still relatively young so I think it's insane what some of the better mowers cost now days. I guy I work with spent $12K on a Ferris 60" diesel mower. I could buy a 50hp tractor with a bucket and brush cutter for that much!

I'm trying to decide if a zero turn or a regular mid mount lawn mower would be best for my application. I'm not wanting to spend more than $2500 at the most and $1500 sounds alot better. Any of you all have any recommendations on a decent mower for the money and for my application?

I went to tractor supply and Lowes today and looked at Cub Cadets, Huskavarna, and John Deer. I found a couple in the $1500-$2000 range that seemed ok, just wanted to get some opinions from first hand users.

Re: Need advice on a new lawn mower

If you don't have a lot of trees and other obstructions, a zero turn isn't really going to be much of a benefit. Look at some of the bigger Ariens standard riding mowers at Home Depot. They're made by Husqvarna and get rave reviews...really good value.

I have alot of oak trees on my 3 acres. Prolly close to 50 so yes I have alot of trees, but i just didn't know how the zero turns do in rougher "rural" terrain. I've just always thought of them as flat ground mowers.

Also, any opinions on Manual vs Hydrostatic?

I will check out the Ariens you mentioned also.

You should consider goats and/or sheep. But there may be false, or maybe not, accusations from the neighbors.

Fence off the home, add Goats. When the goats get big enough add the goats to your menu. Sell the milk, an meat. Money in the bank, food on the table, win-win for all,....
    well except maybe, the goats.

Had goats in Fla, best lawn mowers ever. Males smell a little, but better/cheaper than a $4K mower an 3.50 a gallon gas, to set back on Sunday to say,... Damn my place looks good.

I've had goats on my "to buy" list for over a year now....no shit. I have several miles of electric fence and some solar chargers in my shop just taking up space. However, goats are costly and in the winter time the coyotes and bobcats get pretty hungry around here. I hunt them all the time, bu that still doesnt keep them from slipping in at 2-3am and snagging a $50-$100 goat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vwhugger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should consider goats and/or sheep. But there may be false, or maybe not, accusations from the neighbors. </div></div>

As long as the sheep are not front-mounted units, screw the neighbors.

The thing to look at when you are buying a mower is the thickness of the steel that he dike is made from. The thicker the better since you are going to cut that much grass. I would get the zero turn because of the trees. I do landscaping for a living and i have a exmark, two kubotas. The exmark brand makes a homeowner model that is in your price range. The mowers that are at lowes and home depot do not use cheap parts. I have over 600 hard hr on my exmark and i have had have few problems.

With 50 trees on 3 acres you cant have much grass!!!

I wish i could justify a nice loader/mower but I'm to cheap.

We have a 20 horse craftsman mid mount for our three acre horse propert.

Mows fine.

Harrows fine

Moves hay fine

Cost 1,000 with a spreader and aerator fro
    Sears.

Thanks for the info rrflyer, I'm gonna check out sears tomorrow.

I've got alot of trees, but actually dont have any issues with "no grass" expect for under a big silver maple my dad planted about 20 years ago. I hate that damn tree and it's right in the front yard. It's pretty well killed all the grass under it with it's shallow ground crawling roots. Also, in the fall, it's leaves clog up my damn rain gutters. If it didnt provide so much shade over my driveway, I'd cut the bastard down.

Always remember

"Nothing runs like a Deere".

Gut dont buy one at lowes. they have the consumer grade. go to a Deere dealer and get a LT...Lawn Tractor.

If you go with livestock, sheep, or even miniture donkeys. Goats are smart as hell but really hard on stuff. Theys tear up anything. My buddy came out one morning to find one standing on the roof of his brand new pickup truck. That one became barbacoza.

With 50 trees on 3 acres (1.5 being lawn) that will be a full afternoon of mowing - trimming not included - on a garden tractor type mower.

My 2 acres of lawn, half a dozen trees, takes me 1.5 hours - no trimming. I run a Grasshopper ZTR (30hp diesel, 61" front mounted deck & vac). I also have a 20hp Craftsman with a 50" belly mower, and if I mow with that my time is more than double.

The Craftsman mows 3-4 times slower and the turns, to reverse direction, seem to take forever. In the spring and summer the grass has to be mowed every 4-6 days.

Grasshoppers are expensive, but are built to heavy commercial standards and I'll never need to buy another one. Oh, I have the power lift front deck. Makes changing blades and cleaning out compacted grass a breeze... I wouldn't be without it.

Super Z and don't look back. They have the size you need. I prefer the 72" cut that runs 15mph with like hyper blade rpm. They are pricey, but knocks the crap out of a green one.
    25hp Kawi is one tough engine.

http://www.hustlerturf.com/products/super-z.html

I took a look at another brand.......don't recall the name, red in color. Built similar and a little easier on the wallet.

Have been using a Toro 4235 ZTR for about a year now, on an acre of pretty rough yard (fuckin moles). The advice I got from a trusted friend (landscaper) was to buy the motor. After a year of careful abuse, the hand levers are loosening up a bit but that seems to be about it. The 2cyl engines got better reviews from what I read so I went with the 2cyl Kawasaki engine. My only regret is I wish I went with a wider deck/cut but I don't have to worry about fences and closely spaced trees or buildings. I was a little suprised how many name brands were made by other manufacturers. Like buying a Stevens 200 for $230 and having a Savage 110 that retails for almost twice that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Always remember

Gut dont buy one at lowes. they have the consumer grade. go to a Deere dealer and get a LT...Lawn Tractor.
    </div></div>

I forgot about this. A large portion of my family works at Deere and I the ones sold at the big box stores are not as heavy duty.

I got a Torro Zero turn and love it. But 3 areas that they suck in are
    1. Hills
    2. Bumps. They really jar you around on them.
    3. Towing anything heavy, ie roller.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vwhugger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should consider goats and/or sheep. But there may be false, or maybe not, accusations from the neighbors. </div></div>

As long as the sheep are not front-mounted units, screw the neighbors. </div></div>

Yup.
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Always remember

If you go with livestock, sheep, or even miniture donkeys. Goats are smart as hell but really hard on stuff. Theys tear up anything. My buddy came out one morning to find one standing on the roof of his brand new pickup truck. That one became barbacoza. </div></div>

You should think big "Green" and I don't mean John Deere. Animals are more friendly to Mother Earth. And don't forget heifers in your livestock choices.

The advice that I can give you is buy commercial. It will last your entire life if you keep up on maintenance. Now the 1500-2500 won't get you much. Buy once cry once. I personally run exmark and have owned a scag. I'd buy either again. Keep your eyes peeled over the winter you might find a good deal on a repo or something

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vwhugger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should consider goats and/or sheep. But there may be false, or maybe not, accusations from the neighbors. </div></div>

As long as the sheep are not front-mounted units, screw the neighbors. </div></div>

No matter what, I would screw the neighbors before screwing the sheep.

If you go with a consumer model, the most important thing is to find out the max mowing speed first. My biggest complaint about my Husqvarna is that sometime between buying my last one and this one, they cut the max speed in half. The machine has the horsepower to mow double the speed it goes, but it's stuck on lawyer speed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Always remember

</div></div>

I forgot about this. A large portion of my family works at Deere and I the ones sold at the big box stores are not as heavy duty. </div></div>

Picked up a zero turn a few years ago. 23 hp Kawasaki and a 52" deck. It's a mowing concern and would make zipping around 50 trees a cake walk. And it hauls ass.