• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advice on custom build

78sharpshooter

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2022
SoCal
My goal is to build an ultralight backpacking rifle for all North America big game at 500 yards. There are so many custom actions and stocks out there it's hard to know if I've reviewed them all so I'm seeking some advice from knowledgeable members here. I'd like an ultralight action with a 60° bolt throw with integral recoil lug and I'm considering a 300 WSM in an 18 to 20 in carbon fiber Barrel (not set on particular cartridge though). Stock options also seem to be so numerous however the peak 44 looks good but I'm sure there are better out there. My budget is $1700 for the action, $1000 for barrel and $1000 for the stock. I'll be handloading for this. I also have some decent machines at my home shop (Fadal 4020 with 4th, cnc lathe, 2 manual lathes and 2 manual mills) if needed for this pursuit. I did some gunsmithing in the past mostly with Mauser actions back when big5 had the Turkishmausers for $39.99

Terminus Apollo lite is about your only option for a 60⁰ throw ultralight action.

I like 60 deg actions, but not for hunting rifles. They just make the bolt stick out a lot. Id do a defiance anti receiver(standard, not the X), the MDT HNT 26 stock (folding), and a proof carbon barrel. If you stick to those parts with a 18-20” barrel, the rifle will weigh about 5.5-5.75 lbs. Since it folds, it will stick to the side of your pack nicely while trekking. If you're doing the barrel work yourself, you’ll keep a fair amount of your budgeted money in your pocket.

This is 7.8 lbs without the suppressor. The action is needlessly heavy, and the anti would save about 9 oz. A leupold vx3 4.5-14 wpuld save another 6oz. So right around 7 lbs ready to hunt. Im building another barreled action now using the defiance and a 22” proof in 260 to replace this one.
4C138939-D395-498D-ADCC-50F33E15682D.jpeg
965F66C4-876A-4924-8772-F2CBB0126555.jpeg
3AD29046-EECD-4796-9A2C-2061D5BF987D.jpeg

Last edited:
Terminus Apollo lite is about your only option for a 60⁰ throw ultralight action.
this

add a proof prefit 300WSM if you can deal with 24"

add a HNT26 or LRH or McMillan Game Warden 2.0 depending on budget/features

your budget is close...but not perfect. i'd be looking at it more as $3,700 all in and not be compromising on one piece versus another

$1700 for an action is a good number gets you about everything except the new Zermat Ti3 (but this and anti/x or Lone Peak Ti options are 90 degree)

$1000 for a barrel really only covers proof prefits. if you do a $800 black and $400 for chamber/thread you're low. (unless you want to take a chance with carbon6 or whoever else is making cheap carbon blanks) (unless you chamber your own)

$1000 for a stock can work, or be well short. depends what you want (folding, adjustable cheek, arca, DBM or BDL options in an M5 inlet, etc)

I have a very similar built as Supersubes I have a defiance deviant in 6.5 CM in HNT 26 stock and a leupold vx3 4.5-14 18'' proof barrel and a stud for a spartan bi pod. Also went with a 3 position safety cause I like the bolt locked down when I am bush whacking. I love the set up for Deer sized game and just got back from Alaska when it was covered in salt spray and sand. The action and rifle did outstanding. No rust and functioned flawlessly. Loaded with Hammer Hunters its a deadly set up.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
My goal is to build an ultralight backpacking rifle for all North America big game at 500 yards. There are so many custom actions and stocks out there it's hard to know if I've reviewed them all so I'm seeking some advice from knowledgeable members here. I'd like an ultralight action with a 60° bolt throw with integral recoil lug and I'm considering a 300 WSM in an 18 to 20 in carbon fiber Barrel (not set on particular cartridge though). Stock options also seem to be so numerous however the peak 44 looks good but I'm sure there are better out there. My budget is $1700 for the action, $1000 for barrel and $1000 for the stock. I'll be handloading for this. I also have some decent machines at my home shop (Fadal 4020 with 4th, cnc lathe, 2 manual lathes and 2 manual mills) if needed for this pursuit. I did some gunsmithing in the past mostly with Mauser actions back when big5 had the Turkishmausers for $39.99

I was kinda in the same boat a few months back. Hard to find a light weight action with integral lug and less than 90 degree bolt. I tried to get an Apollo lite but after waiting 3 months and getting the “it will ship in 2 weeks” line three or more times I cancelled the order.

I ended up buying a Mesa Precision Titanium. It has an integral recoil lug, pinned rail and is 75 degree bolt throw. It is a pretty nice action and does everything I need it to do. Mesa is not too popular as there are definitely more favored action manufacturers.

I bought a Curtis Valor after the Mesa for my 6CM build and honestly the titanium weight savings is hardly noticeable to me. Both guns were built similarly and both ended up 10-10.5 lbs rigged out including optics.

If I did it again I would run the Curtis Valor (same design as Terminus Zeus) because I love the feel of the action. The Mesa is smooth and runs well, but the Valor feels more refined. The 60 degree bolt is a slight improvement over the 75 degree of the Mesa. Both have acceptable bolt lifts to me, but the roller cam on the Valor both makes it feel smoother. The Valor feels more solid and precise, but I have no complaints about the Mesa.

I wouldn’t avoid buying a Mesa, I would just opt for a Valor unless I was literally counting every ounce.