• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Need advice on Glock19 arsenal.

KYpatriot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
wishing i was in KY
Hey all - looking to outfit the family with interchangeable sidearms - but also need something the wife and daughters can shoot well. I am usually an HK guy but I need to buy at least 3 of these so the HK is out on price. I want something bombproof like HK but cheaper so that pretty much leaves Glock I guess.

I am thinking the 9mm would be best on recoil and the G19 would be the best compromise between concealment and and ease of shooting for less experienced shooters.

I dont really shoot 9mm either, and am looking for what the current best ammo practices are in this caliber. I shoot and carry either Speer GoldDot or Fed HST in my 45s and 40s. I tend to favor heavy for caliber bullets in those calibers so I was thinking 124 grain or 147 grain for the 9mm.

So, if you were looking to develop a common arsenal for several shooters, some of whom are beginners, how does several G19s in 9mm sound?

For ammo, what advantages if any would 147 give? Is 147 recoil similar to 124+p?

Are the Glock night sights adequate or is the trijicon upgrade worth the extra dough?

Other considerations? Thanks for your help I am neither a Glock nor 9mm guy but I dont have a problem with either, and think commonality, capacity, and the softer recoil of the 9mm is more appropriate for this purpose - other thoughts??

Re: Need advice on Glock19 arsenal.

I carry a G19 at home. Glock night sights are fine for me and I myself wouldn't bother with Trijicon unless replacing old sights.

For shooting ammo I usually pick up the standard ball that is quality new loads and a good price for bulk, so I rarely spend more than $220 for 1k rounds. I prefer to get more rounds downrange when training someone new or my own shooting, but I don't know what your budget is for ammo. I'm cheap when it comes to pistol training. If you want the heavier recoil for the training aspect, look for WCC 9mm NATO loads in bulk.

Carry ammo I use Gold Dots, 124gr IIRC but it's been a while. SXTs are great when found on sale.

For novice shooters the 9mm is an excellent caliber to start with, and so is the Glock for the platform. It's what I spun my wife up on and she's become a very competent shooter with it.

Check DocGKR's "Service Pistol Duty and Self-Defense Loads" thread on M4Carbine.net for recommended ammo.

The G19 (or G17 for those with larger hands or those wanting a longer barrel/slide) is "the universal handgun" and has much to offer. The new 4th-generation guns appear to not be ready for prime time, and some recent 3rd-generation pistols appear to have issues as well due to subcontracted components. You may wish to look for used G19s. For those with small hands, there are some guys doing excellent grip reductions.

The only issue I have with novice shooters and Glocks or other such pistols without a mechanical safety is that viable training and supervision is imperative to ensure safety, especially when dealing with holstering.

The plastic standard sights are the only must-replace item. There are many good aftermarket sights including Heinie, Warren, Ameriglo, 10-8...

Of all the pistols I have owned by and far my favorite is the Mid-size glock. I have the 19's and the 23's. They fit my hand perfect, never jam, and if you will bide your time and watch gunbroker, you can into them price right. Buy them plain and then pick up a set of Trijicons for $80. Watch Cdnn and pick up some police trade-in mags and your ready to go.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I had not heard about the subcontracted parts issues in the Gen3s, I have heard that there have been some reliability problems with the Gen 4s.

Does anyone shoot the 147s?

I shoot 147's and they work just fine accuracy wise. No problems with feed or any other issues. They do shoot a little different than G.I. stuff so with several new shooters it might be an issue if you for some reason cant always get the 147's. Other than that go for it. I am a big fan of the 19 and believe it is an excellent carry choice for anyone that is serious about self defense...when you pull it out and squeeze the trigger it goes bang. Nothing to think about but the trigger and the front sight. In the long run keeping your guns operation simple frees up your mind for other more important decisions that might have to be made at a very critical time.

Something else you may want to consider, if your wife/daughter cannot grip the 19 correctly due to small hands (even if you go with the Gen 4). A Glock 26 will accept the magazines from either the Glock 19 or Glock 17. They would still have the same ammo capacity as the 19/17, just in a smaller platform. The 26 is also quite more concealable, than the 19, if you were also looking for something for CCW. You can also purchase adapters, that will fill up the extra space between the bottom of the 26 and the bottom of the larger capacity magazines.

The 19 is an excellent choice. I bought one for my wife a few years ago, and after shooting it a bit, Im not giving it back. Also, take the earlier advice and purch the Trijicons afterward. They are awesome!!

Can't go wrong with a Glock 19...it just plain works. I have a Gen 3 bought in 2008 and I have yet to have a mechanical problem with it (had to adjust my grip from hitting the slide release by accident)

I usually shoot 115gr ball for training but carry the Federal 147gr Hydra-Shok. The difference in recoil is negligible from what I can tell. I've found the 9mm round to be perfect for 99.98% of the situations I will ever find myself in, the other 0.02%, well that's what my AR and 870 are for.

I have the family of glocks, the 26, 2x19's and 17 I have all the mags that came with each, plus a few extras for the 26 and 19. I started with the 17 and have a bunch of 17 mags that are interchangeable in all three weapons. My wife did not like the recoil on the 26 it is a little sharp because of the size of the weapon. My wife has found that she likes the size and recoil of the 19 and that has been the family go to side arm. I have no issues with regular factory or trijicon night sights. I have all early model pre gen 4 guns. I usually shoot 9mm ball in the 115 to 124 grain for practice. For carry I would check Doc GKR's threads on m4 carbine like has been mentioned before, hydro shocks were new tech years ago, there are much better rounds today.

As to recoil...I would suggest you look at the Sprinco spriing and guide. It definately makes a difference you can feel to the good.

I run 2 G19's. I use neither Trijicon or Meprolight sights, I like wider notches with more light on either side of the front blade.

I carry 147gr HST, and shoot 115gr practice ammo. Have no complaints with recoil or POI differences.

G19s are awesome, no doubt about it, but don't underestimate the accuracy and controllability of the 26. If excellent concealment (instead of just *good* concealment) is a requirement, the 26 is a tough pistol to beat.

Glad to hear you're coming to the darkside. Glocks are far more bulletproof and tough than HKs...my opinion anyway.

The Glock 19 would be my one if I couldnt have ten. The 19 actually stays in the wifes car.

The only thing I can think of besides the obvious name-brand night sights is possibly a lighter recoil spring. This will help make the firearm more reliable for new shooters(a SLIGHT bit more forgiving to a limp wrist) as well as help with recoil.

As far as ammo goes, 147gr will offer the most penetration. In a house, this could be a negative since you are building an arsenal for your FAMILY. In my opinion, shock(velocity) is what stops a threat. A 124gr +p gold dot would be a good choice for all around defense. Buffalo bore makes a 115gr +p+ that is available commercially that is an awesome round. I prefer the winchester 127gr +p+ if it is at all available. Some regular practice will make even the hardest recoiling 9mm ammo manageable.

Congrats on deciding to buy the greatest pistol made!

Haha - I thought this would bring out the Glock fans...thanks for the advice all.
I dont know if I am coming over to the darkside or not, but I cant argue with their reliability especially at the Glock price point. I've never been a fan of the grip angle but I'm not made of money so Ill get over it. I can get a lot of ammo for the price difference of 3 HK P30s. Especially when you throw in the extra mag cost difference. I'm not giving up the HKs I have though...

Think Ill go with a case of 115 for practice and the 124+p Gold Dot for carry/HD. If the recoil is noticeable different then the regular 124 grain will probably do fine.

The 19's with the surefire x300 and the DG grip switch is an excellent combination. With the glock 19, 15 round mags in the weapon and glock 17 rounders for the spares.

Thanks everyone.

Should I be avoiding the Gen 4? I was planning on the Gen 3s but the Gen 4 seems better in the grip, almost not a glock!

Gen3 is a proven platform. If you want a better grip you can have it worked over. Ben Simonson at Boresight Solutions does an outstanding job. I have had my G19 stippled and added a beavertail through him. Quality work and outstanding guy. He also added trigger,and mag release mods. Put on some Heine slant 8 sights and its exactly what I wanted as far as grip and reliability. The only con is he has a waiting list. Well worth the wait in my opinion.

There are many reports of issues with the Gen-4 guns on every forum that I frequent. I believe that the Gen-3 pistols will increase in value due to this. Gen-2 is good-to-go if you don't intend to mount a light and don't need the rail.

Are you about to Compromise?

Stay true to your roots and get a matching set of P30LS (or P30 if you prefer) pistols for you, the wife and the daughters. They are worth it.

If the P30 ones are a bit too spendy, there are lots of good deals to be had on USPc pistols which are good in small hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everyone.

Should I be avoiding the Gen 4? I was planning on the Gen 3s but the Gen 4 seems better in the grip, almost not a glock!

</div></div>
I recently picked up a gen4 19. Has 270 through it without a problem. Quite accurate and as always very reliable. From what I've "read" the issue was with the first bit of Gen 4's released where it was an issue with the recoil springs designed more for the 40 causing issue in the 9mm. I had to wait apx a month for mine to come in so guess it's "newness" may have helped. BUT like the others I love it works every time and puts holes where I point it to put holes.

This is JMO mind you...

Let me start by saying I'm forced by work to carry Glock and only Glock, and I don't like them at all.....

However, The Glock 17 and 19 are one of the easiest shooting guns that I've ever shot.

Right now I carry a customized G21 and if it wasn't for department caliber restrictions I would be carrying a G17.

For the women in your family stick with a nice light 115-123 gr hollow point, none of that +P stuff, you want them to be able to handle the gun well and the +P will probably be a little snappy for them.

Look for the police trade in guns that are usually non rail. Trust me, most cops shoot one time a year at qual time so you'll be getting an old looking gun with about 500-800 rounds through it probably, and that's nothing for a Glock.

I'm not much for the 147 grainers. I prefer a lighter, faster bullet with a nice big hollow point. The 9mm is a great starter round for people that are starting out or are recoil sensitive. I myself went to the .40 S&W. I like the muzzle energy it produces over the 9mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MPB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not much for the 147 grainers. I prefer a lighter, faster bullet with a nice big hollow point. The 9mm is a great starter round for people that are starting out or are recoil sensitive. I myself went to the .40 S&W. I like the muzzle energy it produces over the 9mm. </div></div>

OOPS!
shocked.gif

I own alot of firearms but when it comes to SHTF the family will be relying on our Glock 9's. More rounds...less recoil..cheaper training price on ammo. Simple to maintain and work on.