• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need advice on shimming

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
Marlin 22 mag 3/8 dovetail, 1" rings. Bushnell 3x9x32 scope. Went to sight in and used all up elevation? I'm only at like 40 yards?? Any who I'm still about 4" low? So I don't know if the dovetail is off or what but I need to come up 4" what are my choices? Just two layers of electical tape in front ring???

What rings are you using? Does the scope look like its high in the front? If your shooting low, with it maxed out in elevation, the scope would need to be raised in the rear...

Last edited:
Using 1" tube 3/8" dovetail rings. Yes I'm 4" low with maxed elevation. So put tape in the rear ring..... I'll give that a try.

I haven't tried any of the suggestions below, but have read of people having success with them.

1) Burris Signature Zee Rings with the inserts to offset for height.

2) Shimming with 1) aluminum can material, 2) aluminum tape used for duct work, 3) brass sheets, 4) part of a blade from a gap gauge. Of course the tricky part is measuring how much height you'll need and/or how much of each of these materials will get you there.

I actually have a project on the back burner that involves shimming the rear of a base. The Burris rings are the easiest, albeit more costly solution, assuming you already have rings. I'd avoid using electrical tape, or soda bottle plastic, or any material whose thickness is jeopardized and uneven once compressed.

Good luck!