• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advise on .308 load

eyekahn

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2012
Ok so I have 2 .308's one is a 1/10 R700 20in and the other is a 1/11 rainier 20in. I've had good results with 42gr varget and 168smk in PPU, Remington, and federal brass. Usually 3/4 moa in the 700 but 1.5 moa out of the rainier. I did a lot of research and saw that 44gr varget and 175 SMK is a great load for both twists. Here is my issue, all my brass has been loaded about 5 times and all the case lengths are under 2.015. Is this combo gonna be a safe load for both rifles in the brass I have? I'D LIKE ADVISE FROM PEOPLE WITH EXPERIENCE WITH THIS LOAD TO RESPOND. Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok so I have 2 .308's one is a 1/10 R700 20in and the other is a 1/11 rainier 20in. I've had good results with 42gr varget and 168smk in PPU, Remington, and federal brass. Usually 3/4 moa in the 700 but 1.5 moa out of the rainier. I did a lot of research and saw that 44gr varget and 175 SMK is a great load for both twists. Here is my issue, all my brass has been loaded about 5 times and all the case lengths are under 2.015. Is this combo gonna be a safe load for both rifles in the brass I have? I'd like some advise on people who have been in this situation if possible. Thanks!

42gr varget and 168smk = Great load
44gr varget and 175smk = unknown

Im a little confused as to the question. If you are asking whether 5 time shot .308 brass is safe with 44grains of varget and a SMK 175, then Maybe. Who's chamber is in each barrel? That will play a difference on case stretch in relation to overall pressure spike. Basically, the further the case has to expand to hit the chamber walls then the less felt pressure the bullet will be pushed along with. I would be very careful with any new load, especially since your taking that load between two guns. But, with that being said, as long as you don't see any stress fractures , primer cratering or other known pressure issues you will probably be fine.

Keep in mind, there is no Magic load that will work with two different barrels, actions etc...

Each gun is unique all the way down to the levels of stored energy in the barrels from the chambering process. You really should have a load developed for each rifle. Now load development is another topic and I have a couple of nice workups on the subject if your interested just let me know.

I shoot palma , which is Iron Sights at 1000 yards from a coat and sling in .308 and we use 28 " barrels shooting 155.5 grain Berger or SMK 155 with 45-46 grains of varget to get that 3000 fps mark you need to keep them supersonic at 1000. I reload my brass 10-15 times minimum. I also ALWAYS full length resize. It's good practice to create sets of brass which are all on the same number of reloads so when one decides to split a neck , you can toss the lot of them and start fresh.

REMEMBER , VELOCITY DOESN'T WIN MATCHES, ACCURACY DOES.

42gr varget and 168smk = Great load
44gr varget and 175smk = unknown

Im a little confused as to the question. If you are asking whether 5 time shot .308 brass is safe with 44grains of varget and a SMK 175, then Maybe. Who's chamber is in each barrel? That will play a difference on case stretch in relation to overall pressure spike. Basically, the further the case has to expand to hit the chamber walls then the less felt pressure the bullet will be pushed along with. I would be very careful with any new load, especially since your taking that load between two guns. But, with that being said, as long as you don't see any stress fractures , primer cratering or other known pressure issues you will probably be fine.

Keep in mind, there is no Magic load that will work with two different barrels, actions etc...

Each gun is unique all the way down to the levels of stored energy in the barrels from the chambering process. You really should have a load developed for each rifle. Now load development is another topic and I have a couple of nice workups on the subject if your interested just let me know.

I shoot palma , which is Iron Sights at 1000 yards from a coat and sling in .308 and we use 28 " barrels shooting 155.5 grain Berger or SMK 155 with 45-46 grains of varget to get that 3000 fps mark you need to keep them supersonic at 1000. I reload my brass 10-15 times minimum. I also ALWAYS full length resize. It's good practice to create sets of brass which are all on the same number of reloads so when one decides to split a neck , you can toss the lot of them and start fresh.

REMEMBER , VELOCITY DOESN'T WIN MATCHES, ACCURACY DOES.

The question was is it safe to say that 44gr of Varget is safe in a 175 SMK in PPU, Rem, FC brass that has been loaded 5 times in the same rifle? All the info Ive read is people using Lapua brass. Which is thick to my knowledge...

Not exactly what you're asking for, but I load 44 grs varget with a 168 Amax in Winchester brass and have over 10 loadings on said brass, having annealed once at the fifth loading. I've read others using 42-44 grs with 175 grn bullets with no problems.

Sure it is safe, as it is under Hodgdons max of 45. I got a bunch of 175 smk pulls from a hide member and decided to dig out some old SHTF RP brass that I loaded 24 times (annealed every 5 loads), 44.1 Varget, WLR primer, 2.831 out of a 20" bbl 1:12. They shot about 3/4 moa, I could just about cover the 100Y group with a quarter. Consistant hits this weekend at 650Y 4.8 mil drop @5100 feet DA.

I really didnt spend too much time working up as I planned for a 1-1.5 moa plinker round and was surprised at the result. I normally run Lapua/ 178 Amax, but with the shortage decided to get some cheaper trigger time.

Now if you are loading 5x you might consider annealing before you start splitting necks. To EAC's point, it is not good to use the same rounds in two rifles, usually shoot good in one and crappy in the other. Also can lead to case head separation.

Last edited:
Sure it is safe, as it is under Hodgdons max of 45. I got a bunch of 175 smk pulls from a hide member and decided to dig out some old SHTF RP brass that I loaded 24 times (annealed every 5 loads), 44.1 Varget, WLR primer, 2.831 out of a 20" bbl 1:12. They shot about 3/4 moa, I could just about cover the 100Y group with a quarter. Consistant hits this weekend at 650Y 4.8 mil drop @5100 feet DA.

I really didnt spend too much time working up as I planned for a 1-1.5 moa plinker round and was surprised at the result. I normally run Lapua/ 178 Amax, but with the shortage decided to get some cheaper trigger time.

Now if you are loading 5x you might consider annealing before you start splitting necks. To EAC's point, it is not good to use the same rounds in two rifles, usually shoot good in one and crappy in the other. Also can lead to case head separation.

Thank you very much.

Im shooting 175 smk with 44 grains of varget with fed 210 primers with win brass that is on it 7th firing and it will probley be some of there last firing then its off the the recycling bin they all shot very accurate but the primer pockets have been getting loose in the last few firing. The only reason i have pushed those cases so long is i have not seen accuracy drop, and i have been on back order for new 308 brass for the longest time. but i would shoot them until the primer pocket feels loose or there is other noticeable reasons for not reloading that case.

Im shooting 175 smk with 44 grains of varget with fed 210 primers with win brass that is on it 7th firing and it will probley be some of there last firing then its off the the recycling bin they all shot very accurate but the primer pockets have been getting loose in the last few firing. The only reason i have pushed those cases so long is i have not seen accuracy drop, and i have been on back order for new 308 brass for the longest time. but i would shoot them until the primer pocket feels loose or there is other noticeable reasons for not reloading that case.

I've had good luck using an RCBS primer pocket swager to tighten up loose primer pockets, just keep screwing it down untill the primers seat with enough resistance.