• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need Advise on First Suppressor for AR Platform

Arc Light

Sheeple Herder
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Mountainside
    So after years of stubbornly refusing to pay uncle sam $200 for the privilege of owning a suppressor, I'm about to give in. AR's are just too damn loud for my sensitive ears. I also have tinnitus, which I don't want to make worse.

Basically, I'm looking for a suppressor I can use interchangeably between my AR10's and AR15's (5.56 & 7.62). I will not be using it on a bolt gun-AR's only. Weight is not a concern for me. I want the highest possible noise reduction and highest quality. I'm willing to spend the $$ on a quality suppressor that I will own probably for the rest of my life.

So far, I've been very interested in the TBAC Ultra-9 and the Silencerco Omega 300. I'm sure there are many others I haven't considered. What do you guys think?

I like my SilencerCo Saker for AR. Love my ultra 9. I baby my ultra on the AR 10 and bolt guns. The mag dump stuff etc goes through the Saker on the 15’s

Reactions: Arc Light
    Go look into the CGS Helios QD, just came out and has very favorable reviews on youtube from NFA Review Channel and Alabama Arsenal

I have a specwar 7.62 & 5.56 , Deadair sandman ti, and Hybrid. Amazingly the hybrid with the 46 cal endcap is the quietest at the shooters ear. Back pressure is your enemy on gas guns. I don’t even bother with the others on gas guns anymore. The others are quieter on bolt guns however.

I think I'd take a hard look at the Dominus. The Griffin Explorr and Vox S might also be good options with relatively low back pressure. I have a Nomad, but probably wouldn't go that route if I was doing it over.

I use the Thunder Beast Ultra 7 on 3 different guns. Just bough 3 CB series brakes and it screws on and off without any issues. 6.5 CM and 260 REM.

On 5.56 ARs the Ultra 5 and Ultra 9 meter pretty much the same at the ear.

On large frame ARs the Ultra 5 is quieter at the ear and runs cleaner than the Ultra 9.

That's interesting. As a suppressor newbie, I figured the opposite would be true (longer can, less noise). But I gather that's not the case on gas guns?

That's interesting. As a suppressor newbie, I figured the opposite would be true (longer can, less noise). But I gather that's not the case on gas guns?

At the muzzle sure, but in an auto with most cans your at ear level will be largely driven by the port noise. More back pressure = more port noise.

Kinda leaning towards the Dead Air Sandman series based on what I've been reading. I also have a local dealer that has several Dead Air models in stock.

For strictly an AR15/10, would you guys have a preference between the Sandman S, Sandman L or Nomad L? Based on the above, it doesn't seem like the longer suppressor will necessarily be quieter at the ear?