• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need Advise with Barrel Vise Bushing Size

Smokin

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2007
Houston, Texas
Im ordering the Brownell's Barrel Vise but am trying to avoid buying the $390 set with all the bushings. I would like to buy just the vise and just the correct aluminum bushing. My barrels all have a breech diameter of 1.198". Which bushing do I buy? Do I buy brownells #9 bushing with a bushing ID of 1.200, the #10 bushing with a bushing ID of 1.225 or the #8 bushing with an ID of 1.775?

Re: Need Advise with Barrel Vise Bushing Size

Did you consider the Farrell? The spring loaded upper jaw comes in real handy.

Also available at Brownells. Just tape your barrel with blue masking tape and works like a charm without damaging the finish on your barrel. You could also use thin strips of teflon as barrel protectors when tightening.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=17199/Product/BARREL_VISE

Re: Need Advise with Barrel Vise Bushing Size

I bought the Brownell's vise and just 2 different sized jaws-VERY,VERY HEAVY-DUTY!! I just use a piece of copy paper will a touch of rosin to swap out AI barrels.

Definitely a very well made vise.