• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need assistance finding an action to meet some specific parameters

WindstormSCR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2021
Maryland
I scored a pretty incredible deal on an unused MDT TAC21 chassis this morning, and while I had been considering a custom bolt rifle for a little while now I hadn't settled on an action yet. The chassis applies some constraints to the selection criteria, and while I've been reading a lot of good info on the Hide and elsewhere about particular actions, I'm having difficulty finding one that meets my new criteria set.
So a list of things I'm looking for, if you kind folks could help me out:
  • Rem 700 Clone Short Action
  • NO integrated pic rail (tac 21 chassis has it's own top rail)
  • Standard Rem 700 pattern recoil lug (required for use with the chassis)
  • 300WSM Bolt face (.535)
  • Preferably a 60 degree bolt throw
  • a non-plunger extractor type
  • fluted bolt desired but not required
I'm not opposed to spending good money, since this will be my first custom ground-up build and I want to make sure I have a rifle I can grow my skills with. The 300WSM caliber choice is mostly on account of having access to the brass, dies, and a large variety of factory ammo through my shooting mentor.

ARC Archimedes (75 degree)
ARC Nucleus (80 degree)
ARC Mausingfield M7 (83 degree)
Zermatt Origin (90 degree)

of those options i would guess only the origin fits in the TAC21 with it's silly tube chassis type shit going on

300WSM is NOT a good choice to start with. it's actually really really bad idea

300WSM is NOT a good choice to start with. it's actually really really bad idea

Would you mind elaborating on that? I know it's not a common choice, but I'm curious what the logic is behind the statement. not saying you're wrong, just trying to learn.

My main reason for trying to make the TAC21 work is largely because I love the inline recoil style of the action position, and haven't seen much else out there that achieves a similar result

I should note this is not my first precision rifle, just the first one that is built "for me" and not an off the shelf with some tweaks

Last edited:
300WSM is a lot of recoil for someone learning compared to a 6.5creed or even a 308. more powder and more bullet equals more recoil. it's more expensive to reload for. arguably not as easy to load for. factory ammo doesnt mean much when it's hunting ammo not match ammo/bullets

what do you mean by 'inline recoil style'? the relationship between action/barrel and buttstock is no different than other chassis/stocks...but the TAC21 is odd/weird and there's reason it was cheap...it's the same reason i've never seen one in person over the last 4-8 years of shooting precision rifle matches or even at the range

the TAC21 will work with a normal rem700 which imho isnt worth the investment compared to an Origin/Nucleus (which may or may not even fit in the TAC21)

A Stiller action might work...

Is your Tac21 a gen 1 or gen 2 ?

Last edited:
what do you mean by 'inline recoil style'? the relationship between action/barrel and buttstock is no different than other chassis/stocks...

No, it isn't. The TAC21's bore centerline is well below the top of the comb at its lowest. It's like a Tube Gun chassis in that regard. Most chassis on the market have the bore centerline above the top of the comb at its lowest. These two pics make it obvious.

Not saying I want one, but there are some significant design differences between the TAC21 and almost everything else.

mdt-tac21-gen2-chassis-system.jpg

mdt_acc_color_fde.jpg

Reactions: MarkLeupold
300WSM is a lot of recoil for someone learning compared to a 6.5creed or even a 308. more powder and more bullet equals more recoil. it's more expensive to reload for. arguably not as easy to load for. factory ammo doesnt mean much when it's hunting ammo not match ammo/bullets
I'm familiar and comfortable with 300WSM recoil, and worse (it's a pussycat compared to 7x66 SE v.Hofe!) As I said before, this certainly isn't my first Precision rifle, but is one I want to put together specifically for moving on from fundamentals towards ELR. If I couldn't make my 6.5CM shelf rifles perform as well as they were capable I wouldn't bother building this thing. I also want to hunt out west with the rifle, which did have a small influence on caliber choice, as my preferred hunting bullets are the Federal Terminal Ascent line, of which the 200gr .308 cal offering has the best results at distance for large game.

The fact I have the dies and components available just sealed the choice vs 300 win mag or something like a 300 PRC.
what do you mean by 'inline recoil style'? the relationship between action/barrel and buttstock is no different than other chassis/stocks...but the TAC21 is odd/weird and there's reason it was cheap...it's the same reason i've never seen one in person over the last 4-8 years of shooting precision rifle matches or even at the range
It has a significantly lower recoil axis than any other chassis system I know of, which is also why it does not accept actions with an integral pic rail.
You could always contact MDT and ask them which actions will fit.
I have no reason to expect they would keep such a list, and the members here are much more likely to have the information I need.
NEVER! Why go to where you can get a solid answer that you can take to the bank when you can get a million opinions?
Because the million opinions often come with useful nuggets of wisdom! 😂

Stiller. Maybe defiance? Both are nice. Personally I think the 300wsm is a good choice. Very easy to load for. Very versatile. With a brake or can on it you’ll be fine. Use lower charges if you want until you’re comfortable with your skill. Then up the charge.

Oh brother
I say that from the perspective of having worked in a shop in a different industry that also made aftermarket parts. It's probably quite difficult to keep up with every single option that could possibly work (or not work), which is why I would expect the response from MDT's side to be "here's the specs" and it being on the customer to make sure the things they're trying to fit actually do fit.

Forum answers are often biased for various reasons, but at least in this case I was right, and someone linked exactly what I needed. I wouldn't have asked if I weren't prepared to filter through responses looking for useful info.