• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Need beta testers for 3D ballistics simulator / calculator

slimJim2000

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2013
I have programmed a 3D ballistics simulator / calculator. I think it is fairly advanced.
I am looking for a few beta testers to test it out.

If you are interested, please send me a PM with the following information.
1: Rifle caliber / barrel length
2: Experience using mil dots
3: Experience at long range shooting
4: type of CPU
5: type of video card
6: current screen resolution

I plan to select the best / most qualified applicants.

Thanks

In theory yes, I actually spent a little time trying to get it to work on Mac. I have an apple developer license so I can code sign.

However, in recent years Apple has been locking the Mac down more and more; first code signing then sand boxing and finally trying to force developers to program in their language Objective-C.

Right now unless you program in Objective-C, it is hard to even get file saving and loading to working.

If there is enough interest, I may work on getting it to run on Mac in the future.

Last edited:
This has some strong potential! Ran it on a very powerful desktop, but I see no reason most laptops couldn't handle this.

I think I have what you're looking for. ;)

Quad core, Q9450 overclocked to a stable 3.6GHz
Twin EVGA Nvidia GTX 260s running in SLI
8GB RAM
Current resolution 1920x1200
64bit Win 7 OS

Yeah it's alittle on the old side...I'd have to go into work if you wanted something on the higher end. ;)
PM me if it will work for you.

I am in favor of Mac, but I am transition to Linux, I would like to see it there as well

Anything but Windows.

I am working on an updated beta I will PM you guys if I need more testers after it's done.

Would this be helpful or confusing?

The limitations of monitor resolution force the scope to have a zoom between 75 and 50 power. If you want to have a readable mil dot.
I could make it be possible to change zoom. However, you would only be able to range at the highest setting. Do you think this would be helpful or confusing?

Shouldn't you make it so the scope magnifies like it would in the real world ... max magnification should be something like 25x.

Zooming in 75x is great but any simulator should simulate what people would actually use.

Look at Shooterready and how they do this, their Mil Dot simulator is definitely low fi especially in the resolution department.

Screen resolution is not an issue, I have a NVDIA QUADRO FX 4800, running in an 8 Core Mac Pro, or the Macbook Pro with Retina display... but I think it should be a realistic simulation.

Shooterready is 2d.

In 3d the pixels need to match up with the rendering matrix. 1920 x 1200 will give you a 50-power zoom. Lower resolution will be higher. If you want 25-power, you would need a monitor with 3840 × 2160 resolution, which are coming out.

Last edited:
1: Rifle caliber / barrel length .243/26inches
2: Experience using mil dots Experienced
3: Experience at long range shooting Experienced to 600 yards
4: type of CPU I7 2600K
5: type of video card GTX580 SLi
6: current screen resolution 1080X1900

I uploaded a new beta. Check your PM's I sent it to some new people as well.
Next on my list is getting it running on Mac and a readme.

Last edited:
Many people seem to want lower zoom factors. I could do this if I decrease the number of pixels in mil / 10.

Below is a test image it should be view without zoom. From left to right 1 pixel equal 0.1 mils, 2 pixels equal 0.1 mils and finally the current 3 pixels equal 0.1 mils.

yFftfLMT.png

Each mil dot is 0.2 mils by 0.2 mils

Would people still be able to read off 0.1 mils with less pixels? Anti-aliasing / rendering can introduce errors on the order of a pixel as well for the 3d geometry.

Last edited:
Many people seem to want lower zoom factors. I could do this if I decrease the number of pixels in mil / 10.

Below is a test image it should be view without zoom. From left to right 1 pixel equal 0.1 mils, 2 pixels equal 0.1 mils and finally the current 3 pixels equal 0.1 mils.

yFtfLMT.png

Each mil dot is 0.2 mils by 0.2 mils

Would people still be able to read off 0.1 mils with less pixels? Anti-aliasing / rendering can introduce errors on the order of a pixel as well for the 3d geometry.

I can see all of them fine, if that is what you are asking. The small do being the question? I don't have a problem with it.

So you could be ok with any of those as being the size of a mil dot?

The smallest of those dots will also mean that the scope cross hairs are 0.1 mil wide as they are one pixel thick.

I think I will switch to a mil hash. Rather then a mil dot should fix some of these problems.

Shouldn't you pull the schematics the companies provide for their Reticles and make it match?

The goal is a simulation, that means the Reticles currently used in the scopes we use, at the proper magnification.

If you make it in a way the that goes against this, we aren't simulating but gaming. More the 25x is gaming.

Look at what we use and simulate that. Then you provide a service with a purpose, if I want to simulate a fantasy I can use my Playstation.

All right, you convinced me. The scale of this program is growing from ballistics calculator / learning to range and lead moving targets. Into a full tactical type simulator.

I plan to add the following scope types
Digital (Crosshairs will shrink in Mils as zoom goes up. But hash marks will stay the same. Kind of a inverted Duel focal plane scope good down to 3 power )
FFP (Three zoom sizes will still be resolution dependent crosshairs will grow in pixels but stay the same in mils. Zoom down to 16.5 at (1920 x 1200) depending on resolution) and lower with higher resolution some people will get as low as about 10.
SFP (kind of what we have now crosshairs stay the same range at max zoom)

Would a Duel focal plane be useful? It would always have thin cross hairs.

There are copyright issues with using reticules. I will allow you to load one from a file both MOA and Mil. I will distribute a number with the program.

I have a few ideas on how to keep the rendering errors acceptable (sub pixel) most of the time as well. Hopefully, if everything works out this end up as a state of the art simulator.

Last edited:
I had to recode a bunch of stuff. I just sent out PM’s for beta 3.0

Major changes are reticles / zoom and ability to spawn targets with a heading, range and speed. It also has a slew of minor changes.
I also recoded for Mac although I have not tested it yet. Expect a Mac build in a day or two.

Major changes are reticles / zoom and ability to spawn targets with a heading, range and speed. It also has a slew of minor changes.
I also recoded for Mac although I have not tested it yet. Expect a Mac build in a day or two.

Let me know when you have the Mac version ready.

Any chance to post some screenshots? Could be interesting to get some feedback.

Here is what it currently looks like with the new reticles / zoom. It is a bit blurry unless you click on the image and make it full size.

Last edited:
Beta 3.0 had some bugs

I just sent out beta 4.0 and also equivalent Mac builds. If you asked about Mac check your PMs

Can you PM me the log from
Applications / Utilities / console

What version of OS X are you running?
To find your OS X version
Apple () menu then choose About This Mac

1: Try installing using an Administrator account.
2: If you still cannot install try
"Repair Disk Permissions", using the Disk Utility program located in the Application/Utilities directory.

Does anyone else have installation problems?

Last edited:
I know Sniper Uncle had problems installing. I did not get any other feedback. Where other people able to install correctly? The program will only work on Intel based Macs.

Any other people want to test for Mac let me know.

Mac does not have great backwards compatibility. The application installer requires 10.7.5 or newer. I may be able to make an installer for older 10.6 and 10.5 macs if there is interest.

I have been playing with this all day. You really have the groundwork for an excellent simulator here.

I have a bunch of input that I will post after I spend another day working with the program.

I did load a Vortex EBR-2 reticle into the program and it works OK, but at this point you can use it as an FFP reticle. It would be awesome when you resolve that. The default FFP reticle you have now would work well if you would number the horizontal lines. It is almost impossible for me to locate, dope out then count the reticle lines before the 1000-1200 target drops. Additionally trying to track a mover gets real confusing without a better reference to where in the reticle grid you are.

Again, great start!

Another mac user here willing to give it a go, specs are as follows
27" imac 3.4GHz i7
24GB RAM
GPU is a 680MX

could load it on a 17" macbook pro 2011 model w/16GB RAM or a 13" 2012 macbook pro with 16GB ram as well

Im still new to long range shooting, so wont be able to provide much feedback on how accurate it is - but can test that it works on 3 variations of macs if it would be helpful.

Just got a new server that's not been put into production yet.... 12 cores/24 logical, Xeon E5-2620, 32GB RAM, 6 x 15000RPM SAS drives in Raid 10.... can compile code but video card is pretty much worthless...

I installed it today on my MacPro and played it at 2550x1440 and it looked really good and ran smooth.

Not of fan of the slow bullet motion, but the puffs of dirt are good, and the terrain / targets / et at are very nice, realistic it.

I need some keyboard shortcuts to be able to dial up my dope, just running it with the arrows is a bit of a pain. A course and fine adjustment would be nice, using holds is great, but I want some better controls with the scope. Also after the score, I haven't figured out how to replay without quitting, as esc just quits the game

I agree with John, great start and definitely moving in the right direction. Added maps, target packages, etc would really enhance it

I had a great deal of problems dialing the dope. For the long range targets by the time I got something close to the correct dope dialed in the target was dropping. A course adjustment is definitely needed.

Target exposure time needs to be a user adjustable variable.

I don't know how much of a pain it would be, but since you have a nice wide "world" I would like to be able to come out of the scope to scan for targets. A key to turn off the scope layer when for scanning and then to get back on-scope to shoot would be sweet.

I had issues with my custom reticle disappearing when I started a new session and selected the scope I created in the last one.

My personal opinion is that the drop and drift table in the upper right should be static. The user should be able to define a wind value for the table and the table should remain at that value. This forces the shooter to look at the wind meter and make a call based on that. The way it is now is cool, but not realistic unless you are shooting an ELR platform hooked up to a weather station.

Half of the movers are way too fast.

It would be nice to have the option to "quick start" a session with the last set of variables instead of having to select everything again. It would be even more appreciated since "escape" closes the whole application with no choice to play again.

You are really doing a hell of a job on this and have quite a few people excited about it. Once you finish the desktop version what would be the possibility of an iPad version? That would be absolutely amazing!

Mac does not have great backwards compatibility. The application installer requires 10.7.5 or newer. I may be able to make an installer for older 10.6 and 10.5 macs if there is interest.

Well, I guess that tells my problem. I am in 10.5.8.
I would be interested, but only if you hear from others too. Don't do it just for me.

Cheers,
Tim
The Right to Keep and Bear Arms Shall NOT be Infringed

Ok beta 5.0 is up. I got some bug reports and feature request which will be in 6.0 which did not make 5.0

[MENTION=7]Lowlight[/MENTION]
the bullet is moving at real world speed. It just looks slow because you’re zoomed in with perfect focus and it’s like a meter wide bullet. Large objects always appear to move slow. Try a SFP scope at 1.7 zoom and you will see how much faster it seems to move.

I could have an option to hide the bullet.

You can change the keys how every you like in the input dialog when you first start it up. What kind of short cuts do you think would be useful? like a + 1.0 mil button?

[MENTION=14648]LoneWolfUSMC[/MENTION]

I am going to look into your custom retical issue. Did you rename your custom scope? It’s probably a stupid bug on my part.

Target exposure time will be user adjustable in 6.0

You can turn off dynamic wind. I really need to create a more realistic dynamic wind. Right now it’s just kind of random within limits. While in real life it follows a complex probabilistic model. Right now I cannot use the advanced math libraries I need in order to do it right, until I update my framework. In a future release I will revisit dynamic wind, when I have the time to do the research and stuff.

@ Sniper Uncle
See if the pre-gatekeeper build works for you. I make an Application Bundle for older version of OS X which works back to at least 10.6.4

Last edited:
I'm with John, a +1 mil button would be great, then you can click though the rest. I just shoot hold overs because there is no way to dial fast enough. It's a very cool set up though, I'm really enjoying spending some time on it. I have it set up for my 140g Berger Hyrbids.