• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision Need guidance: setting up a bolt gun for clip on use

english kanigit

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2012
I’ve done a little bit of night vision stuff over the years but always with something strapped to my nugget. Now I’m branching out!

I’m planning to get into a clip on device at some point in the future. I’m trying to set up my bolt gun correctly now so that I don’t have to mess with it again when that time comes. I’m planning for a CNVDLR. Currently I have a Rem700 in a magpul pro chassis and I do have the NV rail for it.

Currently I have a badger ordnance 20 MOA rail which I know has to go and be replaced with a 0MOA unit. We’re on scratching my head is what height of rings I actually need. I currently have a leupy Mk6 in 1” height badger rings. I also have some of their 1.125” rings as well. My understanding is that the PVS 24LR has an optical center height above the rail of 1.58 inches. How close to that height do I need to come with my day optic?

i’ve been googling up down left right and center for the CNVDLR tech manual but it doesn’t seem to be listed anywhere for public viewing or download which isn’t terribly surprising. If any of you have that information and could pass it along to me I would be much obliged!

Regards,
Ek

From everything I have read on here and have been told, my understanding is it doesn't have to be perfectly aligned ( by design ), but the closer to centerline that they line up the better.

You don't need to replace to 20moa rail, the clip on will not care. As for ring height, they don't need to be on exact plane.
20201117_192856.jpg

Definitely not on same plane, and badger 20moa unimount and 0moa imuns don't care. Poi is less than a dime off at 100yds.

My ax has a continuous top rail, I've got a spuhr 1.35" mount, it is only .1 right shift
20201031_193753.jpg
20201031_195214.jpg

This is that rifles "b" load, its normally a smidgen tighter in daylight.

The 2124 manual does not go over specifics on the mounts. I have attached what is shows about mounting. As stated above. The closer to centerline the better the outcome but have used rifles thay are offset pretty darn far with good results. Seems most use a high or ar height rings set to co align close but u may jave to measure. Not that yours will be the same but I have 1.240 rail to centers on bolts guns, and 1.6 on the ars ?

Attachments

• 20201119_201429.jpg
    20201119_201429.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20201119_201442.jpg
    20201119_201442.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20201119_201522.jpg
    20201119_201522.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: english kanigit
While the 20 MOA rail will have no effect, the closer to center line the better. I use rings/mounts that provide 1.5" to center from the rail top where the clip on will mount, whatever height that might work out to on your configuration. Exceeding .5" of offset is asking for trouble. The Risley prism system used on all the clip on systems is very good, but still not totally parallax free. Industrious people can build a simple collimation table from a couple pieces of pic rail and a scrap bar or tube and see what moving the NVD around does to POI. You can also just lock down the rifle in a vise pointed at a target and experiment with the position of the clip on and observe the image shift.

You don't need to replace to 20moa rail, the clip on will not care. As for ring height, they don't need to be on exact plane.
Definitely not on same plane, and badger 20moa unimount and 0moa imuns don't care. Poi is less than a dime off at 100yds.
I appreciate the response but I won’t be using imuns

Actually the 24lr is known to be quite picky with mounts/ alignment, whereas other clip ons are not. ill let @SkyScrapin chime in.
Everything I’ve read indicates the same This the inquiry.

ek

Reactions: 6brshooter
I didn't realize the 24lr was that picky, learn something every day. The imuns was just used as an example. I've had 20moa rails on rifles with efr's in different stocks and no big poi discrepancies. There's definitely no good way to align receiver rails and efrs, and haven't saw a big issue. Im not familiar with 24lr, so my bad.

The height off rail to eyepiece center is 1.535 inch. Perpendicular shift will have little effect compared to angular shift. The distance between the sight and clip on seems to make a difference in performance as well (the closer the better as long as they aren’t touching). The CNVD was optimized for use the ACOG. So anything close to that should work great. Contact the OEM for support, they will help.

Reactions: english kanigit