• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help building a computer before global thermonuclear war breaks out.

Re: Linux....

If you are even slightly IT savvy, I would recommend installing distro of your choice and just giving it a go. There is a learning curve but it's not that ridiculous. I mean it's free..... worst case scenario you learn something new and then uninstall it and buy WIndows. Best case you keep using it and don't have to deal with MS telemetry and data collection.

I may try that on one of the (much) older computers, just to see how geezer-friendly it is.

With the crazy PRC lobbing missiles over Taiwan, I figure now is the time to get whatever hardware I might want.

The EVGA deals seemed pretty solid. The 40-series graphics cards are months away, and if things go hot I expect supplies to evaporate.

When I saw the big cards prices finally dropping, I said "oooh-doggie"!

NzY3YjUzMy5qcGc

Re: Linux....

If you are even slightly IT savvy, I would recommend installing distro of your choice and just giving it a go. There is a learning curve but it's not that ridiculous. I mean it's free..... worst case scenario you learn something new and then uninstall it and buy WIndows. Best case you keep using it and don't have to deal with MS telemetry and data collection.

Linux Mint Cinnamon edition is pretty painless for Windows users to try out.
It is very happy to setup a dual boot option for you as well.

I actually use it for computers that are sitting around for Guests to use as it's harder for them to muck it up.

Reactions: Cardboard55
No love for mountain mods? I've been running them since I decided I wanted to upgrade more frequently without the hassle of water cooling. This thing will pull enough CFM through the case, that I was legit worried it would suck components off boards. lol

Still happily running the EVGA 3090 FTW I scored 1 week after that horrific launch.

bdXxFmeh.jpg

I still have some of the original phase change cooler parts I built out of an old deep freeze back in 1998. lol Sub-ambient gets annoying after a while... so then on to water. Then that gets annoying. Then you get old and just run the latest best air coolers and install a rheostat on everything for when it's time to encode an hour long 8k video that maxes your CPU and GPU for 3hrs straight. ;)

I'm due for an upgrade, but I'm waiting until the dust settles for the next gen intel.

Good luck on your search OP. Make sure you get a pair of Samsung 49" curved displays and a 4k wide to run vertical next to them, to go along with your system. I love mine. :)

No love for mountain mods? I've been running them since I decided I wanted to upgrade more frequently without the hassle of water cooling. This thing will pull enough CFM through the case, that I was legit worried it would suck components off boards. lol

Still happily running the EVGA 3090 FTW I scored 1 week after that horrific launch.

bdXxFmeh.jpg

I still have some of the original phase change cooler parts I built out of an old deep freeze back in 1998. lol Sub-ambient gets annoying after a while... so then on to water. Then that gets annoying. Then you get old and just run the latest best air coolers and install a rheostat on everything for when it's time to encode an hour long 8k video that maxes your CPU and GPU for 3hrs straight. ;)

I'm due for an upgrade, but I'm waiting until the dust settles for the next gen intel.

Good luck on your search OP. Make sure you get a pair of Samsung 49" curved displays and a 4k wide to run vertical next to them, to go along with your system. I love mine. :)

But the noise?
That's kind of one of the things about liquid cooling, not so much noise.

bdXxFmeh.jpg

I could use fans like that in the bathroom. What kind of case is that?

Mountain mods ascension.

"The Mountain Mods Ascension adds 6 inches of height to the already massive U2-UFO platform. The behemoth stands 24 inches tall and is 18 inches deep and wide"

tenor.gif

The idea of a computer case the size of a bar fridge is strangely stimulating 😍

Could build it into a liquor cabinet or something

f7c6fcebf267b3d815f3ee70cd507d1d.jpg

well nows a good time to buy . with bitcoin tanking the price and availability of GPUs has dropped dramatically. RTX 3080s can be had for under 750 and in stock at retailers. finally got one.

I'm looking at anything that's made in Taiwan (like the EVGA graphics cards) and getting them before things kick off.

Reactions: NoDopes
The one item I seem to struggle with Linux is wireless printing. I had to jump through a bunch of manual install/config to get it working..
Then HP printer burned out the printer head and I switched to Epson.. back to the starting line. :(

I'm looking at anything that's made in Taiwan (like the EVGA graphics cards) and getting them before things kick off.

If something happens to Taiwan, everybody will be using used computer equipment for quite some time.
Between Taiwan and China, you'll find the bulk of your computer items are made or assembled or packaged.

If something happens to Taiwan, everybody will be using used computer equipment for quite some time.
Between Taiwan and China, you'll find the bulk of your computer items are made or assembled or packaged.
The bulk of all tech it seems. I'm working on a list of all the things I need for a complete set-up. One of the reasons for buying high performance boards is I figure I can derate everything by 10 or 20% and really extend the life of it. Performance should still be so much better than what I have that I probably won't notice.

Bought a couple of these to protect incoming power (used)

cheap insurance @ $75 each.