• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Need help identifying a reticle in a PVS-4!

GBMaryland

Herr Oberst
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Maryland, US
    Folks,

I managed to order a reticle for a PVS-4, as I didn't find the M16 one overy helpful for use with an AR-10 or a TRG.

I thought I was getting a simple crosshair, but I got this:

8386.jpg

Link to SNHide Picture Gallery with Full Sized Pictures

What I'm interested in are the offsets... such as how long are the various bars (in MILS or MOAm), etc.

...or just specific information on this reticle. (e.g. what is it?)

Thanks,

GB

Re: Need help identifying a reticle in a PVS-4!

Call me crazy but wouldn't it just be easier to call the company from which you ordered said reticle and ask them what they sent you?

It's a pattern adapted from the aiming / ranging reticle used in the Thermal Imaging System (TIS) of the M1A1 Tank. The design of the stadia are for the primary function of bracketing military vehicles and estimating lead on the moving target.

IR-V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GBMaryland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Folks,

I managed to order a reticle for a PVS-4, as I didn't find the M16 one overy helpful for use with an AR-10 or a TRG.

I thought I was getting a simple crosshair, but I got this:

8199.jpg

Link to SNHide Picture Gallery with Full Sized Pictures

What I'm interested in are the offsets... such as how long are the various bars (in MILS or MOAm), etc.

...or just specific information on this reticle. (e.g. what is it?)

Thanks,

GB
    </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call me crazy but wouldn't it just be easier to call the company from which you ordered said reticle and ask them what they sent you? </div></div>

I would do that... but they thought they we sending me a simple crosshair... and I'm not sure I want to call them back on this.

It might be far more useful.

Now that we know it may be modified from an M1A tank recticle... OR... may have come off a unit ment for an AFV. I'll start asking my buddies (Lt. Cols and Cols.) If they've seen these in PVS-4s.

When I mentioned this to one of them originally I got the: "You know, we used to use those in our M60 tanks..."

The question now is: What this reticle for the M60 / M1A tank (I'm an ex-USAF guy... not an armor guy...) or was this used for some sort of small arms type of weapon system?

I really just want to know what the MIL distances are to determine if it's useful.

It does have a nice little crosshair in the center that does not so up on the picture.... But I think I can get a cleaner picture for you all.

GB

Strange... IR-V is right this reticle is for tanks and other big vehicles with big guns. Would you like to photo reticle cell itself?

I'll photo it for yoy... but there are NO markings on it at all...

I did show it to my neighbor, a retired Lt.Col. tank guy, a het inidcated that it MIGHT be possible it came from a OLD M1 or some M60 tank.

Still.... its a mistery.

Too strange. So you wanna say that it`s possible to install this reticle cell in PVS-4 scope? Good, but maybe somebody knows how this reticle is installed into M1A1 Abrams?!!
    wink.gif

You think it's likely that the thermal imager uses the same type of cell?

I was referring to really old models... Mid-1970s, early 1980s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GBMaryland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You think it's likely that the thermal imager uses the same type of cell?
    </div></div>

It was sarcasm. By the way here you will see this pattern:
    http://www.kotsch88.de/f_centurion.htm

Well, there is a bright side to the web link you sent me:

My first name is Gerhard...

Thanks,

Very interesting.