• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Need help in finding a knife for a gift

pyplynr

Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
Oklahoma
My cousin's fiancee has asked me to help her find a knife to give as part of her wedding present to him. She is looking something nice in the $150-$200 range. I'm clueless as to what to suggest to her. If it were a pocket knife, I'd be able to help her. She's looking for more of a presentation style knife.

Thanks

Re: Need help in finding a knife for a gift

Check out SOG Knives. They've got pretty much everything in the arena of folding and sheath knives. Don't know what you mean exactly by "presentation" but SOG has pretty much everything from hunting to tactical. I've got a SOG Gov-Tac and it love it. It lands right in your price range too.

Benchmade and Zero Tolerance are considered to be "top shelf" production manufactures. Between the two she should be able to find something nice.

An American made Benchmade like one from the Bone Collector series.

Fixed blade, or folding, does it matter?

Not sure what you mean by "presentation" knife. Is that a fixed or folder? More of a gentlemans knife or tactical?

There are lots of good makers out there. Check out places like KnifeArt.com or Arizona Custom Knives.. they carry everything, and it's all quality stuff.

Just got done picking out a new knife for myself. I ended up with a Benchmade Torrent.

What are you looking for? Fixed or folder? Tactical, working or gentlemans knife?

Too many options.

Refine your criteria so we can help.

Phil Hartsfield Strongboy and never look back. Oh wait just a little out of her price range.

Benchmade 14101 H&K Conspirarcy is a lot of knife for $80.00ish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what you mean by "presentation" knife. Is that a fixed or folder? More of a gentlemans knife or tactical?

There are lots of good makers out there. Check out places like KnifeArt.com or Arizona Custom Knives.. they carry everything, and it's all quality stuff. </div></div>

I guess it would be a gentlemens' knife. I think more or less she was looking for a wall hanger. I pointed out a few nice Case pocketknives, but we are still looking at options. I'm pretty sure I've got her talked into a classy looking pocketknife. I told her just to make sure it's a quality knife because he'll keep it forever.

it would cost a little more than her budget, but the microtech socom elite is the s...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what you mean by "presentation" knife. Is that a fixed or folder? More of a gentlemans knife or tactical?

There are lots of good makers out there. Check out places like KnifeArt.com or Arizona Custom Knives.. they carry everything, and it's all quality stuff. </div></div>

I guess it would be a gentlemens' knife. I think more or less she was looking for a wall hanger. I pointed out a few nice Case pocketknives, but we are still looking at options. I'm pretty sure I've got her talked into a classy looking pocketknife. I told her just to make sure it's a quality knife because he'll keep it forever.</div></div>

I have one of these and it is an amazing piece. It's a collaboration knife from Spyderco with Butch Vallotton. Being a collaboration with a custom knife maker keeps the price down but gets you all the knife of a custom, just with more of them out there. It is a beast as far as toughness yet extremely elegant. It is my "Gentlemans" carry knife of choice. It is a lot of knife for the money, and quite stunning for a brutes of a blade. I assure you her fiance would be extatic when he opens it up!

Check out YouTube videos on it too.

Good place to buy: http://www.gpknives.com/spydercovallottonsubhiltfolder.html

C149GP.jpg

You could always get a small custom knife from a custom knife maker. I had a friend make me some for the guys in my wedding party.

Joe Kious would certainly be a life long keepsake.

Custom maker.

Check out the FS board on Blade and get a one of a kind from someone who made a knife from scratch. There are lots of guys turning out some nice blades and asking reasonable money.

Check out Releigh Tabor knives .They are custom,fairly priced ,and well made pieces of art .

I bought a Benchmade when I was 21 and it still looks new after 15 years on duty with the US Border Patrol. I send it back to the factory every 5 years and they resharpen it and replace the bearings for free. They are highly regareded and as good as it gets.

Anything with the Benchmade butterfly on the side will impress and instill confidence.