• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help on vintage rifles!!

Sniper260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
I have a big desire to collect and have some old rifles for my gun collection.. im mainly interested in old military rifles/sniper rifles...

Which rifles should I get? I need a list, good places to find them, knowledge on what to look for, etc etc...

Hex receiver mosin nagant - got one
AK- got one

K98
Lee enfield
30-06 garand
An ol push and pull

Add to my list what I need to keep my eyes open for... I appreciate any help I can get! I want to have them all to put on display in my gun room one day when I build a house... I know of mitchells mausers, I watch that site but have bought anything yet. I need to know exactly what im looking for.. I have the respect for these old rifles, just not major knowledgable on it all..

A lot of people will warn you against Mitchell's Mausers because most of the rifles they sell are rebuilt and refinished, and as such not really collectors' items. Try the CMP for your Garand/Springfield/M1 Carbine (I know the last two aren't on your list, but I know you want them really!).

If you fancy an Enfield read up on what you want, there are still plenty out there. I've got a No.4 Mk.1 and it's one of the rifles that I plan to keep forever....

Another idea may be an old Krag? Either a US .30/40 or one of the Scandinavian models. I've got a Norwegian M/1894. It's a lovely rifle!

+1 for getting your C&R FFL and staying away from Mitchell's Mausers.

Some more for the list:

Finn M39
French MAS 36
Japanese Type 99 or 38
Swedish M96

If you're looking for snipers, the Mosin 91/30 PU is probably the most affordable real sniper out there. You can get rerpos in the $450 range and real ones in the $6-650 range. Repro M1903A4 Springfield snipers are in the $1000 range (real ones usually being $4k+) and Enfield No.4 Mk.I T snipers are usually priced similar to the Springfields for a real one. Not many good repros around. The Swedish M41b can probably be had in the $1200-$1500 range if you're patient, but usually $1800+ for a really nice one.

For the Swiss rifles, K-31 the 96-11 are affordable. You can also just collect variants of one country. Lots of makers of the 98's from the WWI Gewer 98's
to the K series. Then there are the semi-auto German rifles along with ones built for other countries like the Lungman (SIC) nd the Hakiem. It all depends on how deep your
pockets are. I not only collect the military rifle, but the training rifle as well. They are out there, but prices have been going up. Join the gun board that deal with the rifles you are
interested in. Read up on what others have found and what others say about them. Learn how to tell if it has been refinished or rebuild ect.
Here is a 1889 Swiss rifle I picked up recently

Attachments

• 047_zps672a9018.jpg
    047_zps672a9018.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 18
Get your m1c and m1d from the cmp, best deal going for true papered garand snipers.
+1 to getting a c&r license. Allows you to interstate transfers without going thru a dealer.

Get your m1c and m1d from the cmp, best deal going for true papered garand snipers.
+1 to getting a c&r license. Allows you to interstate transfers without going thru a dealer.

Whats the cmp acronym stand for?... lol

A lot of people will warn you against Mitchell's Mausers because most of the rifles they sell are rebuilt and refinished, and as such not really collectors' items. Try the CMP for your Garand/Springfield/M1 Carbine (I know the last two aren't on your list, but I know you want them really!).

If you fancy an Enfield read up on what you want, there are still plenty out there. I've got a No.4 Mk.1 and it's one of the rifles that I plan to keep forever....

Another idea may be an old Krag? Either a US .30/40 or one of the Scandinavian models. I've got a Norwegian M/1894. It's a lovely rifle!

Sucks.... but my grandfather had a 30-40 krag that was his he had in the military.... he hunted deer with it the rest of his life... somehow or another he broke the stock, drilled new holes for mounting a scope, duct taped the fore stock with the barrel.. messed it all up.... god I wish it was in good condition and I had it... one of my uncles kept it though... its in poor shape anyways... lots of meaning to that rifle though.

New to the forum (just getting into long range shooting) but I have a C&R, and collect old military rifles as well. I saw on your list that you had a K98. If you just want a Mauser and aren't hung up on getting a nazi Mauser, you should look at the Yugo M48 Mauser. They are much less expensive, but still high quality. I shoot one in an antique military match and it is very accurate. Still 8mm and look extremely similar to a K98. I would also second the M1 carbine. Very fun to shoot, lightweight, and depending on barrel condition, very accurate.

New to the forum (just getting into long range shooting) but I have a C&R, and collect old military rifles as well. I saw on your list that you had a K98. If you just want a Mauser and aren't hung up on getting a nazi Mauser, you should look at the Yugo M48 Mauser. They are much less expensive, but still high quality. I shoot one in an antique military match and it is very accurate. Still 8mm and look extremely similar to a K98. I would also second the M1 carbine. Very fun to shoot, lightweight, and depending on barrel condition, very accurate.
+1. The M48s can be nice.

I'm also partial to the Czech Vz.24. Don't know why other than they usually an extremely smooth action. Just love 'em. Also, if you find a Yugo reworked K98, they can be had cheaper than German rifles (even the Russian captured ones) and usually have better bores as they were rebuilt (from German rifles).

+1. The M48s can be nice.

I'm also partial to the Czech Vz.24. Don't know why other than they usually an extremely smooth action. Just love 'em. Also, if you find a Yugo reworked K98, they can be had cheaper than German rifles (even the Russian captured ones) and usually have better bores as they were rebuilt (from German rifles).

I'm a big fan of the old Mausers in general. They tend to be very smooth, and accurate shooters. Although the recoil tends to be on the stiff side when combined with a steel buttplate.