• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Need help picking a scope for my shorty .308

Surgeon_Shooter

Sure Shot Night Vision
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 2, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Alright fellas I have a 16" Remington sps tactical that needs some glass. I have a MIRS rail on it for all the night vision goodies already. Here's my plans for the little guy.

I'm gonna white tail deer hunt with it. So field of view is pretty important for me Incase I get close and I'm rushed.
    When I'm not deer hunting with it ill be yote/hog hunting at night. I have a CNvD-LR that'll go in front of this scope.
    I also plan to shoot this thing out to 600-800yrds.

I've kinda been thinking the 2.5-10x42 NF would be good but I almost want a little more x like the 3-15. Then I start thinking I'm wasting money because its just a hunting rifle.... I have a 5-25 S&B on my custom rifle. Vortex seems to be good enough for what I need but I have no experience with em. I'm a huge believer in good glass and spending as much on the scope as the rifle but this is a $600 rifle! Lol

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Jay

No complaints on the NF 2.5-10x42. If you want more magnification I have used the Weaver 3-15x50 EMDR, NF F1 MLR2.0 and Premier Light Tactical Gen 2 Mildot. All would work well if you don't mind FFP for whitetail.

Of them all I recommend the NF 2.5-10x42. I can ID targets out to 1000y without issue and the SFP reticle is easy to pick up at all mags. Huge eyebox, solid as a rock, targets are visible at dawn and dusk for hunting. Also light and handy. If you wanna save some money, the Weaver is useable. Only complaint for me in 3 years owning one is the reticle is hard to see in low light dialed down to 3x, and the illumination is tok bright at "1".

Premier has the best glass, and all the elevation you need in a 20 moa mount but is on par with the Weaver for size/weight but are rare "used". Price is usually right if you can find one.

Im a huge fan of Vortex, but if your trying to budget build i like SWFA SS scopes. They make a 3-15x42 SS tactical for 699, but i have no experience with their variable power glass. I do know there fixed glass like their 10x, 12x SS scopes ($299) are great glass and mil-spec at a phenomenal price. Great ruggedness and tracking on turrets with nice positive clicks. The glass in these in my opinion is a running competitor with any 800-1000 dollar glass. Im sure there's many others on here that will say the same. They also offer a HD glass version but substantially more in price.

Well I'm leaning toward the 2.5-10 NF but the vortex scopes may be better priced for this little gun. That's about $1000 difference in the 2 scopes and honestly I don't know if its worth that much more than the vortex in this application.

For just a hunting stick, give a look to the Leupold VX6 line. They have the 2-12x42 which is a pretty nice piece of glass for hunting and also a 3-18x if you want more magnifcation. Both are around the $1000-$1100 price point. If you're already looking into NF you might not want to come down to the VX6, but its a great scope for the price.

Results for vx6 - Sorted by Best Match on Page 1 (1-20 of 27 Items) - OpticsPlanet

Trevor B.

Thanks for the advice Trevor. Does the vx6 have exposed turrets? That's one thing I have to have because I get rushed to dial out to 600 at shots for hogs and deer on a regular basis where I hunt.

They do offer some models in the CDS dial which is finger adjustable. Its a pretty nice concept. The elevation dial is custom made for your load and has graduations engraved on it. My boss used the CDS dial on a 4.5-14 on an antelope at 400 yards 2 years ago. just dialed it to 4 (400 yards) and let it rip and dropped him. Everyone that's used it has liked it quite a bit. You can also have more dials made if you change loads.

Trevor B.

You should take a peek at the Bushy Elite Tactical and IOR Valdada line ups. For the price range you're looking at, variable mag range, reticle choices, illum or non-illum, locking & exposed turrets, FFP/SFP, and 34mm/35mm tubes with great elevation adj built in they might be just the ticket for your hunting rig. Bushy has 2.5-16 & 6-24 30mm tube options as well as a slightly more expensive 3.5-21. IOR has a 3-18 and 6-24 that are very nice as well. Good luck!

You should take a peek at the Bushy Elite Tactical and IOR Valdada line ups. For the price range you're looking at, variable mag range, reticle choices, illum or non-illum, locking & exposed turrets, FFP/SFP, and 34mm/35mm tubes with great elevation adj built in they might be just the ticket for your hunting rig. Bushy has 2.5-16 & 6-24 30mm tube options as well as a slightly more expensive 3.5-21. IOR has a 3-18 and 6-24 that are very nice as well. Good luck!

Bushnell's 3.5-21x is a nice scope. Only down side to it for a hunting rifle is the weight. 35oz. is a heavy piece of glass top take on a deer hunt. I try to keep hunting scopes at or under 25oz. My $.02.

Trevor B.

I love the 3-21 bushy! My buddy has one and its great. Buuut like he said that things a brick! I've decided to go with the vortex 4-16x44 second focal plane mil/mil. I'm gonna beat the hell out of this gun and scope so this will be my test for vortex. If it survives this then I may build some trust in them.

Now where can I find it cheapest? Lol thanks for all the advice y'all!

Jay

I have a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 6.5x20x50 TMR that's about eight months old and like new. No scratches and I have all the factory packaging. Asking $950 if your interested. It is a great scope but I'm working on a build. It is on my Remington 5-R 308 and works great. I have shot out to 750 with it and that's as long of a range I have.

Last edited:
    For a mostly-hunting rig, ruggedness would be a top consideration then size/weight. I wouldn't trust a Vortex in the field unless it's a Razor but that's only my worthless opinion.

The $700 SWFA 3-15x42 are great little scopes and perfect for your budget hunting rifle but keep in mind they're only first focal plane the reticle can get pretty large at 15x and very small at 3x. If you can deal with that it would be your best buy.

Or look for a used Leupold Mark 4, 3.5-10x40 in second focal plane for close to the same price or just a bit more. They're low-profile, lightweight, NV compatible and proven rugged. Should be plenty of options (knobs, illumination, reticle, etc) to get close to your desired package while keeping the cost down.

The 3.5-10 Nightforce looks amazing but is at least double the cost and without the top end magnification that you want.

Last edited:
    ....... I've decided to go with the vortex 4-16x44 second focal plane mil/mil. I'm gonna beat the hell out of this gun and scope so this will be my test for vortex. If it survives this then I may build some trust in them.......
    That's a SMOKIN deal on a Ziess!!

Just noticed after posting suggestions that OP made his decision.

Thanks everybody for the help but I ordered a vortex today. Will it fit the bill? Don't know but at the price I gave for it I won't be mad if it don't. Ill put it on a marlin .22 or something. Lol

I used a 4-16x44 HS-T on a 300 WM last year for a hunt. Took a beating, shot straight, bagged a nice Mulie. Has a place on a SPR build right now as the 300 was sent to Krieger and will be wearing a MK6. Big fan of HS-T, great optic for the price.

Trevor B.