• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Need help picking a Shotgun

Minarix

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2012
US
Let me preface this by saying i have not owned a shotgun for 20 years. I have stuck to Pistols/ARs/Rifles for the most part as i don't hunt so i never really needed one.

I'm Currently looking for another home defense weapon as well as something i will shoot atleast 50-100 rounds a month with. I would prefer something semi-auto but that isn't a deal breaker. My budget is up to $3000 for just the firearm, my criteria is listed below in order of importance.

- Must be Reliable, with all my carry firearms, or HD weapons i shoot them every month, sometimes every week.

- Able to mount a light, i would prefer a pressure switch, but that isn't a deal breaker

- ability to mount a optic

The main purpose of the firearm will be a backup HD weapon, and well a shotgun is something i don't have in my collection at this time minus a very old 410. I'm sure this has been asked a million times, and i have read a few threads on here and elsewhere but am hoping for more input.

TIA

Budget = pump
Reliability = pump*

*before anyone gets their panties in a bunch a pump will cycle low recoil rounds, non lethal, steel, buckshot, slug etc. You’re not using it to breach but it has it’s place there too.

I’d recommend benelli super nova tactical, then the benelli nova.

I have a short barreled custom from Wilson combat based on the 870 platform. I think the 870’s are over priced now for what you get.

Reactions: 1moaoff
Let me preface this by saying i have not owned a shotgun for 20 years. I have stuck to Pistols/ARs/Rifles for the most part as i don't hunt so i never really needed one.

I'm Currently looking for another home defense weapon as well as something i will shoot atleast 50-100 rounds a month with. I would prefer something semi-auto but that isn't a deal breaker. My budget is up to $3000 for just the firearm, my criteria is listed below in order of importance.

- Must be Reliable, with all my carry firearms, or HD weapons i shoot them every month, sometimes every week.

- Able to mount a light, i would prefer a pressure switch, but that isn't a deal breaker

- ability to mount a optic

The main purpose of the firearm will be a backup HD weapon, and well a shotgun is something i don't have in my collection at this time minus a very old 410. I'm sure this has been asked a million times, and i have read a few threads on here and elsewhere but am hoping for more input.

TIA

I'm a fan of the Beretta 1301. It's lightweight, reliable, good ergos, etc. My buddy has one and I've enjoyed shooting it. The only tactical shotgun I personally own is an older fn tps pump. I like it but want to get a semi auto. I've been thinking of grabbing one that's upgraded by Langdon.

These start at $1600 from Langdon iirc.

maxresdefault.jpg

164978820_1156683751429963_470969323987374501_n.jpg

Here's a few my short ones from under the bed.
Wilson started as an 18" with a pig heavy surfefire forend-light ; replace the barrel with a stock 14" magnum then modified it.
Shockwave is a good 14" host to modify (non-BATFE to BATFE registry requirement).
I think the 20 gauge maybe the best home defense setup.

IMG_5338 ANNOTATED RIGHT SIDE copy.JPG
IMG_5327 copy.JPG
IMG_3347Mossberg 590A1 with Asgard Defense Forward Shell Holder Photos copy 2.JPG
DSCN2164a copy 2.jpg
DSCN2155 copy.JPG
IMG_0199 Mossberg 14 ShockWave 20 gauge Right Side Annotated 08.01.21.jpg
IMG_0198 Mossberg 14 ShockWave 20 gauge Left Side  08.01.21.jpg
IMG_3845 copy 3 Annotated copy 2.jpg

Last edited:
Benelli M4 and be done.
I have friends that a serious goose and duck hunters. They run pump and black eagle only. They have tried other brands Benelli is the only thing they run. Hell one of them had another big name B brand semi that went back to the manufacture 5 times.

been shooting shotguns for a long time and always had a mossberg pump.
also have been thinking about getting a gas gun because they are fun and softer shooting, not because i think i will need to empty an extended 3-gun mag of buckshot at some home intruders (not where i live anyway).
after wanting the M4, and considering the FN SLP as a cheaper option, i have settled on the 1301 as the best over all option if i were to buy one today. that isn't to take anything away from the M4, which i would already own if i was rich.
one thing i would recommend is getting a piston driven gun like the M4 or 1301 (or 940JM) and not an inertial driven system (M2) that requires you to be behind the stock for the gun to cycle (not always possible if you are injured or trying to shoot one handed).

I second Bryan W M above. Benelli M4 and you have hit the high water mark for tactical shotgun design.

Occasionally, at work, I have to fire an 870 very similar to the one strikeeagle1 posted, and they're just straight-up unpleasant to shoot. I'm sure it'll do the job in a house, but unless you're just wanting a shotgun to round out a collection, build a short AR for inside the house. It'll be more effective and you won't hate pulling the trigger.

Sorry for the unsolicited opinion...

Reactions: RTH1800
^^^....that's why I suggested the preference for a 20 ga. platform.
Although, Federal low-recoil flight control buckshot is not that that unpleasant to shoot.
IF not a 9 or 5.56 kept under the matress.
88A381CC-3B75-4B00-836B-72D89EEEA776.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: theLBC and Skunk
not because i think i will need to empty an extended 3-gun mag of buckshot at some home intruders (not where i live anyway).
i thought the same thing, i live in a small farm town 30 miles away from any large cities, and my nephew while babysitting at my house got robbed at gun point by 3 people and had a few of my firearms stolen last year.

Reactions: theLBC
Occasionally, at work, I have to fire an 870 very similar to the one strikeeagle1 posted, and they're just straight-up unpleasant to shoot. I'm sure it'll do the job in a house, but unless you're just wanting a shotgun to round out a collection, build a short AR for inside the house. It'll be more effective and you won't hate pulling the trigger.

Sorry for the unsolicited opinion...
It's a combination of both rounding out the collection, and just having a back up weapon around the house.

Reactions: Skunk
With that budget I would highly recommend the benelli m4, maybe even the entry model in that price range.
I have a regular length m4 with all that you mentioned, light, sling, red dot, it is a hell of a shotgun, I use it on the range and keep it in the bedroom. I’ve also used it turkey hunting, having chokes makes it pretty versatile. I will get some photos of it up later on
My brother has a beretta 1301 tactical that’s also a really nice gun and substantially less expensive these days. I have a tactical 870 as well but it’s not even in the same league as the beretta and benelli.

Reactions: 07SGT4623
I do like my Benelli Supernova. Think the receivers come drilled and tapped for an optics rail.

Semi-auto's I'm afraid I can't advise on.

I bought a Langdon Tactical Beretta 1301 earlier this year and am not disappointed. I have run anything from slugs to home defense loads to target loads in it and it has cycled everything without a hiccup. Unfortunately their lead times are a couple months, but you can always buy a stock Beretta 1301 Tactical and upgrade everything yourself if you want it now. Like others have said, you can't go wrong with a Benelli M4 either especially with your budget.
IMG_20210306_135247420.jpg

I was just about to start a similar thread, but probably makes more sense to jump on this one.

Really want to get a semi-auto shotgun to round out my collection. I've been taking a hard look at: (a) Benelli M4; (b) Benelli M2; and (c) Beretta 1301 but am kind of suffering from paralysis.

The M4 seems to generally be considered the "best" - which I take to mean it is very high quality, rugged and reliable. It also comes with a rail so I can mount a red dot, which I will probably want to do. Tube extension to increase ammo capacity also seem to be pretty easy to find and is an upgrade I will probably want. I've found one with a fixed stock for about $1600, which seems pretty reasonable. However, not sure how I feel about the weight. Also, not sure if I should go with a pistol grip, since I do a fair amount of trap shooting, so I'm used to a shotgun with a traditional stock.

M2 - Also very well made. About a 1.5 pounds lighter. Generally seems to be more popular in 3 gun, which I'm thinking about doing. However, would have to add a rail for an optic. And if I add an optic, that's probably the only accessory I can put on without affecting reliability. Also, supposedly cheaper, but I haven't been able to find one for less that $1200. If I add the cost of a rail I'm only $300 away from the cost of an M4.

Beretta - Don't seem to have quite the reputation of Benelli, but everyone that owns one seems to love it. Is very popular in 3 gun. Fastest cycling of the 3. Come with a rail, so optic ready. But accessories, like a mag tube extension seem to be expensive and hard to find. Priced similarly to M2 - about $1200. Haven't seen any with a pistol grip, but I'm kind of leaning towards a traditional stock anyway.

So I guess I'm curious if anyone has experience with two or more of these guns, and if so which to you prefer and why. I can honestly make a good case for each of them. Since I can pick up an M4 for $1600 feels like I'm not paying much a premium for a gun that's supposedly built like a tank and 100% reliable. M2 also supposed to be pretty bullet proof, apparently runs super clean, and is cheaper and lighter than the M4 (although some of that cost savings is negated by cost of adding a rail). Beretta also lighter and cheaper than the M4 and comes with a rail but doesn't seem to have quite the cache of a Benelli.

I was just about to start a similar thread, but probably makes more sense to jump on this one.

Really want to get a semi-auto shotgun to round out my collection. I've been taking a hard look at: (a) Benelli M4; (b) Benelli M2; and (c) Beretta 1301 but am kind of suffering from paralysis.

The M4 seems to generally be considered the "best" - which I take to mean it is very high quality, rugged and reliable. It also comes with a rail so I can mount a red dot, which I will probably want to do. Tube extension to increase ammo capacity also seem to be pretty easy to find and is an upgrade I will probably want. I've found one with a fixed stock for about $1600, which seems pretty reasonable. However, not sure how I feel about the weight. Also, not sure if I should go with a pistol grip, since I do a fair amount of trap shooting, so I'm used to a shotgun with a traditional stock.

M2 - Also very well made. About a 1.5 pounds lighter. Generally seems to be more popular in 3 gun, which I'm thinking about doing. However, would have to add a rail for an optic. And if I add an optic, that's probably the only accessory I can put on without affecting reliability. Also, supposedly cheaper, but I haven't been able to find one for less that $1200. If I add the cost of a rail I'm only $300 away from the cost of an M4.

Beretta - Don't seem to have quite the reputation of Benelli, but everyone that owns one seems to love it. Is very popular in 3 gun. Fastest cycling of the 3. Come with a rail, so optic ready. But accessories, like a mag tube extension seem to be expensive and hard to find. Priced similarly to M2 - about $1200. Haven't seen any with a pistol grip, but I'm kind of leaning towards a traditional stock anyway.

So I guess I'm curious if anyone has experience with two or more of these guns, and if so which to you prefer and why. I can honestly make a good case for each of them. Since I can pick up an M4 for $1600 feels like I'm not paying much a premium for a gun that's supposedly built like a tank and 100% reliable. M2 also supposed to be pretty bullet proof, apparently runs super clean, and is cheaper and lighter than the M4 (although some of that cost savings is negated by cost of adding a rail). Beretta also lighter and cheaper than the M4 and comes with a rail but doesn't seem to have quite the cache of a Benelli.
Benelli and Beretta are the same company. In fact have some parts in common.
I have an older Beretta 1201, super light and reliable. But a bear to shoot due to it's light weight, and because if the inertia recoil you cant mount anything on the receiver without affecting function.
I have sold other shotguns (Remington 1187 sps, Remington 1100, Browning light 12...) but kept the 1201, but they do not make them anymore and parts are hard to find. Put a pistol grip M4 stock on it and a red dot and it is a great home defense gun.

because if the inertia recoil you cant mount anything on the receiver without affecting function.
You can add weight however the total weight added to the firearm should not exceed the weight of the inertia bolt.

From the Benelli M1 Manual:
"Extensive testing in ballistics labs and repeated field-testing of our line produced weapons put at 180 kgm the lowest level of kinetic energy that must be generated by the cartridge 12 gauge and at 125 kgm for 20 gauge to fully cycle the action (the measurement was taken on a manometric barrel, according to at a velocity of V1 at 10 meter distance from the muzzle). Empirically, Benelli has determined the minimum threshold of kinetic energy required to cycle the bolt; the rest of the understanding is simple mathematics / physics."

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 7.43.55 AM.png

Because V2 is less than V1, the minimum amount of kinetic energy to cycle the inertia bolt mechanism is not generated.

The Benelli M1 20 gauge inertia bolt weighs 385 grams.
Two 20 gauge cartridges weigh 65 grams
Two shot magazine tube extension weighs 300 grams
Total = 365 grams

So, a 2 shot extension tube with cartridges is within 20 grams (2/3 of ounce) weight of the inertia bolt weight.

The attached may assist in understanding how adding weight / mass to the inertia platform may interfere with reliable cycling operation. The 20 gauge M1 bolt weighs 385 grams; a 2 shot magazine tube extension weighs 300 grams Plus 65 grams for the 2 cartridges and you have 365 grams of extra weight; almost the weight of the bolt.

Third parties cite Benelli sources as stating that ~ 500 grams of added weight (1.1 pounds) begins to reduce reliable function. A 12 gauge 2 shot extension and two 3" cartridges is just about 500 grams......again, just about the mass of the 12 gauge inertia bolt.

So, the addition of the 2-shot extensions plus the cartridges do not exceed the bolt weight, but add a Picatinny rail and a light etc......therein the problems of operation may begin to be experienced.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
If you are concerned about weight, firepower (capacity) and rugged reliability, I have a very different suggestion for you: an AK style shotgun.

I have a Saiga 12, which are expensive. But this is hands down the lightest semi-automatic shotgun I have ever shot. Compared to my Remington 1100, or even my Ithaca M37 riot gun, it is very light.

Capacity? The AK shotgun is magazine fed, with either a 5 rd box, 10 rd box, 12 rd box, or 25 rd (25 rounds of 12 gauge 00buck!) drum. Easily handled one handed, and recoil is absorbed by the mechanism.

Some of the less expensive versions can be had for $425-450. Magazines are inexpensive and plentiful. The 25 rd drums are a bit steep, but 25 rounds! Fully loaded, it is some awesome firepower.

The Saiga was developed for military use, IIRC, and likes full power high brass loads. But once they are shot & worn in a bit, they will shoot low brass/bulk Wal-Mart loads reliably.

Just a suggestion.
-inexpensive
-reliable
-relatively light weight
-great firepower/capacity
-some versions have easily adjustable gas system
-3" chamber

Benelli and Beretta are the same company. In fact have some parts in common.
I have an older Beretta 1201, super light and reliable. But a bear to shoot due to it's light weight, and because if the inertia recoil you cant mount anything on the receiver without affecting function.
I have sold other shotguns (Remington 1187 sps, Remington 1100, Browning light 12...) but kept the 1201, but they do not make them anymore and parts are hard to find. Put a pistol grip M4 stock on it and a red dot and it is a great home defense gun.
didn't know Pietro Beretta SpA has owned Benelli since 2000

In early 2000, Beretta bought the remaining shares in Benelli Arms S.p.A., another venerable Italian gunmaker. In March of that year, it bought an 86 percent share in Aldo Uberti & Co., s.r.l., a $15 million a year replica gunmaking business founded in 1959. With a corporate umbrella company in place to oversee its subsidiaries, Beretta Holding next acquired Sako Ltd., a Finnish maker of hunting and sports rifles, from Metso Corporation in January 2001. Sako had net sales of about FIM 150 million a year.

Thanks for the info

For those of you reading this thread who don't have the OP's budget, I think I've found a pretty good budget alternative. Apparently, whatever patents Benelli may have had on the design of the M4 have expired. There are now a couple of companies (mostly based in Turkey) who are doing very good clones of the M4 for way less money ... like $6-800. I haven't taken the plunge yet, so I have zero first hand experience with these guns, but the reviews seem to be very good. Yeah, I know, there have been questions about the quality/long term durability of some of the guns coming out of Turkey. However, a couple of these guns have had 10,000+ rounds put through them and are still running great and they appear to be exact clones with parts that can be interchanged with the original M4.

So, if you can afford $2000 for a semi-auto shotgun, and want the very best semi-auto with no compromises - yeah go for the M4. However, if you've always wanted an M4 style tactical shotgun just because and are on a tighter budget some of these clones are apparently nearly as good as the Benelli at about 1/3 the cost.

Here's a few my short ones from under the bed.
Wilson started as an 18" with a pig heavy surfefire forend-light ; replace the barrel with a stock 14" magnum then modified it.
Shockwave is a good 14" host to modify (non-BATFE to BATFE registry requirement).
I think the 20 gauge maybe the best home defense setup.

View attachment 7678182View attachment 7678183View attachment 7678184View attachment 7678185View attachment 7678186View attachment 7678187View attachment 7678188View attachment 7678189
Those are all severely overqualified.

First off, any shotgun that starts with a "B" is a safe bet.
As the owner of a M2, a M4, 1300 Winchester, and an 870,give me the M2 all day.
The only time I'd give a nod to the m4 is if you want to hang a bunch of shit off of it, which you seem to want. However, the M2 is a vastly superior handling weapon. Think about what you realistically need. Lights, red dots, lasers, shell holders, pic rails?
Seriously? Put a light on it an go. If you need all the above, consider a different platform.
IMO, Ghost Rings suck for everything but slugs at 100yds. Anything else, and they're too slow. The m4 is ultra reliable. No doubt there, but the m2 is every bit as reliable. The m4 is a heavy, clunky feeling gun. I tried mine in 3 Gun,,,, once. Immediately went back to my m2.
1301 has no real flaws either.
Franchi is another brand to consider. In the Beretta/Benelli family. Tad cheaper, which probably isn't a selling point if you have $3k to drop.

Personally, I'd go with a M2, M4, or 1301, depending on which fit your needs.

Avoid Remington and Mossberg semi auto shotguns in all forms.

Reactions: Clayman
Here's some old porn of me with my m4 at a 3 Gun shoot.
I ditched the PG stock immediately, and found a field stock. (I was able to sell the collapsible stock for $1,000 damn near paid for the whole M4.)

They set you on a golf cart, and drove through steel Pop-Up targets, engaging them as you passed them.

The one I left standing was set too hard. You can see the shot splatter off it on a few shots, but it wouldn't budge. Frustrated, I threw in a slug for extra motivation @ :29 and it didn't drop. You can hear it ring.

EotS - Have been thinking about trying three gun and it seems like the two popular choices are Benelli M2 and Beretta 1300. Lots of people seem to feel the way that you do about the M4. Just curious why. I assume it's the extra 1.5 pounds, pistol grip, ghost rings which don't seem suited to the type of shooting you do. Is that correct?

I've kind of talked myself out of an M4 because of the cost and weight. However, if I can pick up a Turkish clone for $600 it might make a fun range gun.

Also, curious what's your feeling on red dots? I have them on a couple of AR's and two pistols and they are definitely faster and more accurate than irons (at least for me). But maybe not necessary for the distances you are doing in three gun? Plus, do they then bump you up to the open division?

I have a WBY PA-459 and I added an extended mag tube. Works great. Handles 3” to 1 3/4” shorties. Not the most aesthetic gun but reliable and accurate so far. Paid $300 used.
Not my pic but mine looks very similar with mag extension.
DDECFB8C-A366-4C05-8246-2823C88D771E.jpeg

EotS - Have been thinking about trying three gun and it seems like the two popular choices are Benelli M2 and Beretta 1300. Lots of people seem to feel the way that you do about the M4. Just curious why. I assume it's the extra 1.5 pounds, pistol grip, ghost rings which don't seem suited to the type of shooting you do. Is that correct?

I've kind of talked myself out of an M4 because of the cost and weight. However, if I can pick up a Turkish clone for $600 it might make a fun range gun.

Also, curious what's your feeling on red dots? I have them on a couple of AR's and two pistols and they are definitely faster and more accurate than irons (at least for me). But maybe not necessary for the distances you are doing in three gun? Plus, do they then bump you up to the open division?
The 1301 was not available when I got my m2 (over 15yrs ago) but I'd strongly consider it today. A good buddy has one, and it basically comes down to Gas Vs Inertia. The 1301 is a bit cheaper, and probably more versitile.
The M4 is a COMBAT shotgun, and in that role, it excels. I'd say be honest with your intentions. People see "Combat" and think "Yeah! That's me! That's what I need!" but do you really? The m2 and 1301 are Jack of all trades, and do any role very well.

I'd also take a look at a Franchi Affinity. Basically M2 Benelli internals. Probably the best guns for the $ currently.

I urge anyone wanting a PG shotgun to consider a field stock. PG stocks feel cool in your hands,,,, while you're playing with it in the living room. In the real world, they're kind of cumbersome. They have their place, again in combat. Mostly for sweep and clear shit. Can hold the weapon on target while other hand opens doors or whateved.
Ghost rings on shotguns just don't make any sense to me at all. They're slow to aquire target. Good for 100yd slug shots, but if I'm shooting 100yds, I want a rifle.
Red dots on a shotgun are legit. Quick, and pretty precise, but again I feel like it's trying to make a shotgun into something outside of its wheelhouse. Granted, I'm speaking in a HD role. In 3 gun, take any advantage you can get. In the bigger shoots, yes, it can put you in the OPEN division. However, most of my shoots are more of a "run whatcha brung" more casual type shoot.

My M2 has a Ruger 10/22 rear flip up site. It's brutally simple, fast, cheap, and super effective.

EotS - Thank you for your comments. Very helpful. Kind of coming to the same conclusion as you about pistol grips. I like them on AR's, but do a fair amount of trap shooting and can't imagine having a PG on my shotgun. Ditto for ghost rings. Useful for 100 yard shots with slugs, but for everything else I'm kind of used to a mid and front bead, so I'm probably going to stick with those. I mean in trap I can hit a moving 4.3" bird with this set up, so it should work pretty well with a static target.

Have been taking a hard look at the Beretta 1300 with a traditional stock and beads. It does seem like a pretty versatile gun. Something that would work very well if I decide to try three gun, but also a great range/home defense gun as well. Would be great if I could find one for under $1000. And I think they are set up so that if I want to add a rail and an optic it's pretty straightforward.

well you got tons of options if you really want a shotgun from cheap to expensive we are using two 870's for home protection along with the ar they are not expensive easy to run and will spit out what ever we feed em from slugs to bird shot to rock salt cheap easy and reliable though I do wish we had a pair of that benelli m3 convertables to be able to switch from semi auto to pump but what we have I guess is good enough for now .hope you find and are able to get something you will enjoy owning and may it serve you well .

EotS - Thank you for your comments. Very helpful. Kind of coming to the same conclusion as you about pistol grips. I like them on AR's, but do a fair amount of trap shooting and can't imagine having a PG on my shotgun. Ditto for ghost rings. Useful for 100 yard shots with slugs, but for everything else I'm kind of used to a mid and front bead, so I'm probably going to stick with those. I mean in trap I can hit a moving 4.3" bird with this set up, so it should work pretty well with a static target.

Have been taking a hard look at the Beretta 1300 with a traditional stock and beads. It does seem like a pretty versatile gun. Something that would work very well if I decide to try three gun, but also a great range/home defense gun as well. Would be great if I could find one for under $1000. And I think they are set up so that if I want to add a rail and an optic it's pretty straightforward.
Buying new, I'd probably go with the 1301 as well. The M2 is IMO the best overall inertia gun ever, but it's externals (lack of options) are a tad dated compared to the 1301.
I can also see a case for the softer shooting gas gun.

Fwiw, I have a 1300 Speedfeed mounted above my bedroom's walk in closet door, on the inside. Very much out of sight, and easy to access.
870 above my shop door in the same fashion.
The hooks are from Home Depot. Cheap garage hooks of some sort.

63799272542145295657.jpg

Reactions: deltawiskey
Who knew the hooks came in orange ?........a closet inside secure load out room1, inside secure load out room2. It's quite a rabbit hole.
Love the Home Depot.....let's do it.

IMG_0508.jpg

I’ve been meaning to come back and add a photo to go with my suggestion. I’ve had my m4 for a few years. Quite a few rounds down the tube, I’ve added a Haley strategic sling, impact weapons scout light mount and streamlight rm1, Holosun 515 and a Carlson buckshot choke tube. Very pleased with it
80978BDC-11A3-4459-A7EB-A3FBEAACBF7D.jpeg

Last edited:
M4 and 1301 are gas guns. Gas guns will cycle even without a good gun mount or with extra weight on them (i.e. flashlight). But you should clean them every once in a while. The M2 is a great gun also, but it's inertia driven. Won't have to clean it almost ever, but it'll kick harder and be less tolerant of weight on the gun, shooting without a standard mount, etc. Cheaper versions of M2 exist from Franchi and Stoeger (both Beretta brands; Franchi is made in Italy and Stoeger in Turkey).

If you want a tough shotgun, look to see what the dove ranches in south America are using. They go through more shotgun shells in a month than most will see in a lifetime.
I did some research and bought a 20g Montefeltro, I all ready have a Beretta A390 12g. I couldn't find a 20g version to my liking, so I got the Benelli. I really like the Benelli, but I have always liked the Beretta also. Neither have let me down. That A390 has cycled everything from cheap sport loads to slugs and turkey shells. The Montefeltro has handled everything so far, skeet loads to high brass pheasant loads. The gas guns shoot a little softer than recoil guns, just don't hang a bunch of junk on the recoil gun, it may not cycle properly.

Mike

P.S. I just picked up a synthetic Beretta A300 for duck hunting, I don't want to wreck the wood on my A390. It works well also.
Mike