• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help regarding Savage Accustock model?

1791PrecisionArmory

FFL-07
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2011
Idaho
Ok, Here is the deal. I was looking at picking up a savage 5R model rifle for a good price. Problem is, I was told that all savage 4.40 spacing that comes with accustock will not fit into most after market stocks Like the BC or manners because of something they do differently to the accustock models. Never owned a Savage and cannot find any info about this topic other than Stocky's and others saying will not work with any after market stocks.

Any savage experts have any experience with this?

Re: Need help regarding Savage Accustock model?

No problem setting my 10pc 5r in a manners. As long as it 4.4 spacing you're good to go

I just bought a Manners for a Savage 4.4 DBM with no problems
grin.gif
I like it so much I'm going to buy another

Is the bolt release on the right side of the receiver or on the bottom in the trigger guard, if it is in the trigger guard it will limit your options for aftermarket parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the bolt release on the right side of the receiver or on the bottom in the trigger guard, if it is in the trigger guard it will limit your options for aftermarket parts. </div></div>

My bolt release is in the trigger guard and there's no issue. I actually ordered a cdi bottom metal that will work with it also.

I was told it was only the savage models built into the accustock model. Accu wedge??? How does that Savage 5R shoot?

I have a savage 10pc 5r - accustock (with wedge) - bottom bolt release. I've switched out the trigger for a rifle basix, stock for a manners t5 and soon a cdi bottom metal. All add-on's were a simple trouble free installation. Here's my first trip to the range after those add-on's and a bedding job I did myself. 168gr. Hornady Tap ammo
photo.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a savage 10pc 5r - accustock (with wedge) - bottom bolt release. I've switched out the trigger for a rifle basix, stock for a manners t5 and soon a cdi bottom metal. All add-on's were a simple trouble free installation. Here's my first trip to the range after those add-on's and a bedding job I did myself. 168gr. Hornady Tap ammo
photo.jpg
</div></div>

Pretty darn nice. Did you have to remove the wedge?

The wedge is built into the accustock, with the new stock it is removed.

not to change the subject, but is the accu-stock no good. I have no experience with one. I use the the standard stuff, hs, macmillian, manners.

However I have a buddy that just bought a savage with the accu-stock. Is it garbage or will a bedding job help it out?

KT

The accustock worked good as far as the aluminum bedding block/accuracy goes. Just was uncomfortable for me and my stature.

The accustock is like most any stock, you either like it or hate it. There's no question that its a vast improvement over the tupperware stocks Savage used to put on their rifles (I'm still stuck with mine until my Stockade stock comes sometime this month). It also helps improve accuracy, and imo its the best factory stock, but I know a lot of people switch it out simply because its ugly and people think its ergonomics aren't that great, only problem is that you're forced to go the custom stock route since most companies don't make aftermarket stocks for the accustock model yet, or if you're good at machining you could inlet an older stock to fit the accustock model.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The accustock is like most any stock, you either like it or hate it. There's no question that its a vast improvement over the tupperware stocks Savage used to put on their rifles (I'm still stuck with mine until my Stockade stock comes sometime this month). It also helps improve accuracy, and imo its the best factory stock, but I know a lot of people switch it out simply because its ugly and people think its ergonomics aren't that great, only problem is that you're forced to go the custom stock route since most companies don't make aftermarket stocks for the accustock model yet, or if you're good at machining you could inlet an older stock to fit the accustock model. </div></div>

So what is attached to the receiver that makes an accustock model not fit into a standard savage stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KBT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not to change the subject, but is the accu-stock no good. I have no experience with one. I use the the standard stuff, hs, macmillian, manners.

However I have a buddy that just bought a savage with the accu-stock. Is it garbage or will a bedding job help it out?

KT </div></div>

I bought a Savage 116 FHSAK in .30-06 shortly after the AccuStock was announced. It has one as well as an Accutrigger. Since it produces 100 yard groups of under 0.5" with my standard match 168gr ammo, I chose not to screw around with it. It is one of my 3 go-to hunting rifles. Buy with confidence.

FH

sc015cf2ea.jpg

Cool! Thanks guys. I look forward to seeing how my buddy shoots with it.

KT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdazzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The accustock is like most any stock, you either like it or hate it. There's no question that its a vast improvement over the tupperware stocks Savage used to put on their rifles (I'm still stuck with mine until my Stockade stock comes sometime this month). It also helps improve accuracy, and imo its the best factory stock, but I know a lot of people switch it out simply because its ugly and people think its ergonomics aren't that great, only problem is that you're forced to go the custom stock route since most companies don't make aftermarket stocks for the accustock model yet, or if you're good at machining you could inlet an older stock to fit the accustock model. </div></div>

So what is attached to the receiver that makes an accustock model not fit into a standard savage stock. </div></div>

The receivers are the same. The only differance in the "accustock" receivers is the bottom bolt release. I few minutes with a dremel to open up an area for the bolt release tab is all that is necessary. Again the "accustock" model will fit any stock inletted for a 4.4 spacing savage you just need to inlet a small portion around your trigger group for the bottom bolt release. I'll tear my rifle apart next week and provide some reference pictures to illustrate.

Ok, Thanks tip2003 your info is greatly appreciated. I also called a knowledgeable savage guy and asked him, He said (if I understood him correctly) that earlier accu-stock versions came with something called the accu-wedge located in front of the recoil lug that prevented drop in stock replacment. Savage, having so many complaints and problems with the design decided to remove the accu-wedge in later models so only difference now is the DBM and bottom bolt release.

Since I'm stuck in a layaway on this Savage 5R I'm just going wring out what I can from it. Manners or possibly a HS PST114.

Got the Savage 5R, Must say that it's one of the smoothest looking factory barrels I've seen. Rifling looks great.

I think the Accustock is a decent manufacturer offering. I wouldn't have changed mine out if the ergonomics were better for me.

Accustock is just too darn skinny. Was going to go XLR stock (which is a great stock) but ended up Talking with Ryan @ McMillan and really liked the A5 with dual pillars and their GAP Camo. 3 Month wait though. I thought a 10 day wait was painful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdazzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accustock is just too darn skinny. Was going to go XLR stock (which is a great stock) but ended up Talking with Ryan @ McMillan and really liked the A5 with dual pillars and their GAP Camo. 3 Month wait though. I thought a 10 day wait was painful. </div></div>

You think 3 months is bad, I'm on a 9 month wait for my stockade stock, but you have to be patient if you want great quality equipment.

Thanks for the input, I just picked up a Savage as well. McMillan states that for models with the DBM, you have to send it to them for fitting? Is this just carving the area out for the bolt release, or something more complicated? Thanks once again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSU Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input, I just picked up a Savage as well. McMillan states that for models with the DBM, you have to send it to them for fitting? Is this just carving the area out for the bolt release, or something more complicated? Thanks once again. </div></div>

I spoke with Ryan@ McMillan yesterday and he said that I did not have to send in the action even though it had the trigger guard bolt release. They already have the program for that style written. Might just have them inlet for CDI and go that route but not quite sure how they integrate the bolt release (if at all).

You like a chassis? Call XLR Industries, it may take some time but he will take care of you.

Just got the McMillan ordered, A5 McCamo, Now to just wait 3.5 Months. Will be totally worth it I'm sure. Probably hug the UPS driver.

Will Post Pics when it arrives.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You like a chassis? Call XLR Industries, it may take some time but he will take care of you. </div></div>

I took a look at the XLR, Looks really awesome just wanted a light weight stock for this build. Manners makes good stocks too from what I've heard. For 586.00 out the door with all the options I needed and McCamo finish is a hell of a deal in my humble opinion.