• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need help with adjustment of Timney 510 on Rem 700 Tactical

MG-70

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Germantown, MD
I bought this trigger a few weeks back, supposedly lightly used. It came with instructions, etc., and doesn't look abused at all. I followed instructions, lightly adjusted the bolt release engagement point, and dry-fired it once, then it locked up. Bolt handle won't even turn.

Thinking the previous owner had perhaps adjusted it too light a pull, I removed the nut from the front trigger pull screw and adjusted the screw in as far as it would go, but the bolt still won't move.

Assuming I have to mess with the sear adjustment screw on the rear of the trigger, should I 1) unscrew it out, or 2) screw it in?

I'm planning on leaving the front trigger-pull screw all the way in, adjust the sear, then go about unscrewing the trigger-pull screw. Does that sound right?

If you know the proper way to remedy this, please chime in.

Thanks in advance

ETA: I freed the bolt by adjusting the rear, sear engagement screw. I don't remember in which direction, but believe it was counter-clockwise or loosening. I'm now working on the two front screws, over-travel and trigger pull weight. The installation instructions are lacking and there's no trouble-shooting on Timney's website; very poor!!!

Last edited: