• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need help with first 7.62 suppressor purchase.

drjjl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2013
Ohio
Ok guys, I want to purchase a suppressor, but need some help...

I'm trying to plan everything out accordingly so I don't order something and find out later that the suppressor I ordered won't work on more than one of guns I want to use it on. I would like to use the suppressor on my Surgeon Scalpel 308, FN SPR, Scar 17, and Scar 16(if possible). I would like to be able to swap it between the guns readily. I don't mind not having a brake on the bolt guns, but would like to have a brake/flash hider on the scars...so it would be nice to have a suppressor that mounts over the brake.

I'm thinking I could just install the same brake/flash hider on all 4 guns and get a matching suppressor that will fit all four rifles. Here's where I'm running into some trouble. My Surgeon already has an older model surefire brake attached - the one that fits the 762ss "legacy" suppressor. Is Surefire still manufacturing the legacy models? If so, is there a brake that will fit both of my Scars that also fits the 762ss legacy suppressor? Would that be the best/easiest way to go since I already have the adapter on my Surgeon or would it be silly for me to pick a suppressor based on one of my guns already having the adapter?

I do not have to go with a Surefire can...I've read some great things about the Thunder Beast for bolt guns. Could I install the 30BA on my Scars? Finally, it seems like the surefire brake is threaded further onto the barrel of my Surgeon further than other brakes...is this accurate? If so, how much of a problem will it be to install a different, shorter brake eg surefire SOCOM or Thunder Beast? Would it be as simple as adding a spacer?

I know it's a long post with lots of questions. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

dr,
Think about thread specs rather than gun model. Likely the .308 threads are 5/8-24, and the 5.56 threads are 1/2-28. Verify that though and also determine the dimension of each barrel's threads from muzzle back to thread shoulder. Armed with thread info, decide if one can answers the mail. I suggest a dedicated device for the 5/8-24s and another brake-mounted can for the others. Options for adapters and brakes are many. In my opinion, first decide to purchase two cans from the beginning because can-addiction cannot be cured with adapters and you might a well only wait once!

Thanks for the reply. Getting multiple suppressor isn't a bad idea at all, especially when the wait period is so long. I was aware that the 5.56 has a different thread pattern than the 7.62, but was thinking there is some kind of thread adapter? I know that my my 308s are all 5/8-24, but I believe the barrel on the surgeon had to be turned down and threaded further...maybe 2.5" or so to accommodate the recessed surefire 762ss brake. If a different suppressor only requires .6", for example, of the muzzle to be threaded and turned down, would I just need a threaded spacer to take up the extra 1.9" that my barrel is turned down?

Ok guys, I want to purchase a suppressor, but need some help...

I'm trying to plan everything out accordingly so I don't order something and find out later that the suppressor I ordered won't work on more than one of guns I want to use it on. I would like to use the suppressor on my Surgeon Scalpel 308, FN SPR, Scar 17, and Scar 16(if possible). I would like to be able to swap it between the guns readily. I don't mind not having a brake on the bolt guns, but would like to have a brake/flash hider on the scars...so it would be nice to have a suppressor that mounts over the brake.

I'm thinking I could just install the same brake/flash hider on all 4 guns and get a matching suppressor that will fit all four rifles. Here's where I'm running into some trouble. My Surgeon already has an older model surefire brake attached - the one that fits the 762ss "legacy" suppressor. Is Surefire still manufacturing the legacy models? If so, is there a brake that will fit both of my Scars that also fits the 762ss legacy suppressor? Would that be the best/easiest way to go since I already have the adapter on my Surgeon or would it be silly for me to pick a suppressor based on one of my guns already having the adapter?

I do not have to go with a Surefire can...I've read some great things about the Thunder Beast for bolt guns. Could I install the 30BA on my Scars? Finally, it seems like the surefire brake is threaded further onto the barrel of my Surgeon further than other brakes...is this accurate? If so, how much of a problem will it be to install a different, shorter brake eg surefire SOCOM or Thunder Beast? Would it be as simple as adding a spacer?

I know it's a long post with lots of questions. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

Each of these three will do what you want as far as allowing you to install muzzle devices on your 556 and 762 firearms and swap the can around. There are others of course. These are just the ones I would suggest you look into.

You may want to look at the AAC 762 SDN-6. It is good for folks who will use it on 308 some and then on 556 as well. It is smaller than the other two I'm listing.

The Thunder Beast is a great can and I would imagine you would be fine with their suppressor if you went with the BA version.

The SWR 762 Specwar is also a magnum rated can. The materials used and the mount are excellent. The price is excellent.

Of those three I would suggest the 762 Specwar with a close second to the SDN-6.

If you think you will get a 556 can then you may want a bigger magnum rated can (762 Specwar) in case you want something for 300wm or 300rum (etc) in the future.

If you don't think you will get a 556 can then you may want something like the SDN-6 that is smaller and will do fine on the calibers you listed.

Don't worry about that muzzle device that you already have since we are only talking about one device. Go for what you think you will enjoy the most and what will fit your future needs the best.

If you can find a good dealer to visit and check these out in person it may help you decide.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I would go TBAC 30BA or AAC 762SDN-6. I love my SDN-6, but I think my next can will be a precision can for sure. My particular SDN-6 causes POI to shift about 4 MOA straight down, repeatably. My buddies TBAC 30BA causes no discernible POI shift.

Both cans you can get mounts made in various thread pitches so you can use it on 5.56 and 7.62 guns.

I would go TBAC 30BA or AAC 762SDN-6. I love my SDN-6, but I think my next can will be a precision can for sure. My particular SDN-6 causes POI to shift about 4 MOA straight down, repeatably. My buddies TBAC 30BA causes no discernible POI shift.

Both cans you can get mounts made in various thread pitches so you can use it on 5.56 and 7.62 guns.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I definitely would like to go with the thunder beast 30ba for my bolt guns, even if I can't use it on the Scars. But, again, the thing I'm concerned about is how far back the barrel on the surgeon has been turned down to accommodate for the surefire brake. The thunder beast brake is much shorter and will be nowhere near the shoulder on the barrel to be properly timed. What am I missing?

Thanks for all the replies, and thanks a lot for the email Zak!

I'm sure the other cans are good as well, but that is why I went with the TBAC. Their team is huge on forums and when I asked questions, I got straight forward answers quickly. I'm still pending at the now shutdown NFA branch, so I can't tell you firsthand how good it is yet.

I'm sure the other cans are good as well, but that is why I went with the TBAC. Their team is huge on forums and when I asked questions, I got straight forward answers quickly. I'm still pending at the now shutdown NFA branch, so I can't tell you firsthand how good it is yet.

Yeah, getting the email from Zak was very nice. To be fair, Chucky from surefire took time to email me while he was on vacation. I feel that both of them went above and beyond. So I may just need to order one of each...if the government ever "reopens" ;-)

Take a look at Griffen Armament's offerings, I have their RSTA, and use it with their brake mount on both my .308 bolt gun and my AR. RANGERWALKER has them at a sale price in the group buy section. I'm very pleased with mine!