• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need input/advice on stocks.

jw1911

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2009
Hartselle, Alabama, USA
I've saved up enough dough to buy the rifle to go under my scope. So for now I need input on stocks.

Here's what I know:

I love pistol grips - I can get my bigass hand on it.

I am "comfortable" with all of my hunting rifles - the "monte carlo" style. You know, factory.

I have a Thompson/Center Encore ProHunter. This is by far my favorite "feel".
Here is that gun so you know the way it looks:
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/firearmDetails.php?ID=3974
but mine currently has a .308 barrel - not a lead packer.

I can not find any one around my area that has anything other than hunting rifles. I have not held any of these but here are what I like the "looks" of online:

From McMillan
A2, A3, Adj A3-5, A4 and A5
look here - http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-tactical-stock-list.php#m40a1

From Sharp Shooter Supply I like the Laminate Varmint Tactical Stock and decked out at $404 its the best price.
Look here - www.sharpshootersupply.com and click on centerfire stocks then click on Laminate Varmint Tactical Stock

and from Manners the T4, T2 and T1.

I am liking the Adj A3-5 or the T2 the most.

I have never owned a stock with the adjustable comb. The models with the internal adjustable comb - it appears as tho they all have rather bulky knobs... do these get in the way and rub your cheek or is it low enough to clear?

Also... am I looking at entirely the wrong stocks for 500 to 1k shooting?

Thanks for any and all input and if any one in the North AL area would be willing I would love to check out any kind of tactical stocks.

Re: Need input/advice on stocks.

You will get way more replies by posting this in the equipment section of the forum instead of the "Beyond 1K" section. The other section gets way more traffic.

Thanks

I suggest you hit up a gun show or a shop that has a few of these stocks you are interested in...I really liked the looks of the A5 but when I actually got behind one the grip felt kinda unnatural for me. I didn't expect that to be the case, glad I got behind one before placing an order. I think I'll try to get behind a Manners T4 or a BC varmint/tactical before I make up my mind. At any rate, the combing adj. knobs I saw were more like set screws, and no they are not in the way of your cheek. In fact, I shoot lefty, so the knobs are on my side of the rifle whereas for a right handed shooter they'd be on the opposite side of the stock.

Before you spend money, have you looked at the McCree or PDC stocks? They have a lot of pluses but some folk just can't abide that style. I really like the McCree personally.

What you want is support for the position. That means contact with the gun and ground which is muscularly relaxed, where butt-to-shoulder, stock-weld, grip, non-firing hand, and elbows can be as consistent as they are exact. For best results, a stock with an integral adjustable comb, adjustable 3-way butt, and full length fore-end rail will help you get proper sight alignment, as well as a proper muscularly relaxed position.

The terry cross thumbhole is very nice. I think it feels just as good if not better than my macmillian a5

If you decide to go with McMillan, or have questions on those stocks I highly recommend that you reach out to John at JWPrecision. You can find him in the vendor's section on this site. He was highly responsive to my questions and his pricing is very competitive - the best I could find.

He may just have the mcmillan you're looking for in stock, eliminating the several month wait that I've got having ordered a custom job.

http://www.jwprecision.ca/

I´d say use a pistol grip style if you plan on shooting prone ( which seems more possible if you shoot over 1000yds).

jw1911,
I have a few Mcmillan stocks (A5,Robar sr-90, HTG) but just recently traded for a McRee TMAG MODSS. Took a little getting used to shooting a bolt gun with an AR grip but it is a great stock. I altered a MIAD grip and put it on - much better than the stock AR grip. It's a little slower getting your thumb under and around to cycle the bolt but that should improve with practice.
If you figure a McMillan fully adjustable A5 will run you ~$750 plus $330 for BO M5 bottom metal and an additional $150-200 to get it all bedded, the McRee for less than $700 with AI mag included is a great deal. Unless the Ashbury comes in around $1000 or less, Scott is going to be a very busy man in the months to come!

Santa is coming. And its sweet! Its the real thing, not POS wanna-be stock.

1S1