• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need more consistent powder measuring

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
Minuteman
  • Jun 12, 2018
    Beast Coast
    I’ve been running a lynmen Gen5 powder scale for the last two years and it works well enough but the consistently of the throws is never spot on either a little light or a little over. Now I’m looking to step into something a little more precise with out breaking the bank, any suggestions?

tenor.gif

Sure, if your have $1,000 the V3 is the way to go. If you don't want to spend that much, the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 can be pretty good with a few add ons and programming mods. I use an insert in the dispensing tube and a pan from MK Machine and rarely have an overage. I did tweak the programming a bit.

Reactions: 338dude
    I used to throw a coarse charge with one of those old school throw lever powder measures, dump it into a lyman dispenser and trickle it to about .2 under, then hand trickle on a digital meter to my specified charge weight. I had a 1st gen lyman and it would always be off by a tenth or more, just got into the routine of trickling by hand on a separate scale. For pistol loads or carbine ammo I didn’t care if my charge spread was ~.1-.2 off. There are high end auto tricklers and things like that on the market but for my uses I couldn’t justify the extra expense.

I'm happy with my chargemaster 1500. They have the new one out now too, but it's damn near a grand. The charge consistency on the 1500 has never held back my accuracy.

Everyone is happy with their chargemaster until the get the autotrickler. I ran one for years and recently got the V3. I wondered what took me so long. I trust all my charges now and my velocities don’t float. SD and ES are lower and more predictable. V3 and be done...

I have been looking for a better system myself. I think the issue lies with the scales more so than the throwers. The lower priced scales aren't sensitive and fast enough to accurately keep up.

I've only been loading for hunting rifles. I literally use a spoon and Pact digital scale. It's not a great scale....but comparable to most reloading scales on the market. The sensitivity just isn't there. I don't even use a trickler as it slowed me down. I load Varget a lot and learned right around 3-4 grains is .1gr on the scale. I can tap the spoon and do it lol.

Looking to speed up the process and load more consistent ammo. Eventually I'm going to have to bite the bullet I think and but an autotrickler or something. I'm not finding a way around it.

Autotrickler v3... Throws 90 grains of retumbo in 12.5 seconds +- half a kernel...yea it's worth every dime if you load in the thousands of rounds per year.

Reactions: OLD308
    Autotrickler V3 is amazing. Being able to reload quickly (and accurately) has been a big project of mine this winter, had to sell a couple guns to help fund the new goodies, but so worth it.

Now my problem is I'm trying to fund another gun. Vicious circle :LOL:

I have a habit of loading ammo needed for a match like the night before and having to crank out like 150-250 in a relatively short time frame. So the speed aspect would be nice and actually have consistent loads would be even better.

I’ll vote for the v3 also. I’ve used a chargemaster for years and friend of mine got a V3. Couldn’t believe how accurate and fast it was. Ended up selling a rifle to purchase the v3 and a giraurd trimmer. Money well spent.

Reactions: joemusso
    I use to use 2 chargmasters with all the mods on them and thought they were doing great. But the scale can me off by .1 up or down and because it doesn’t measure down to the .01 you could be at 43.78 and it would measure and 43.7. Anyways, I but the bummer and sold both of them last fall for the Autotrickler V3 and it has been much more consistent. It’s definitely a “big once, cry once” but you won’t regret it

If not doing high volume and have a little extra time, nothing wrong with either throwing or dipping into a beam scale with a trickler set up to level it off. Slow, but the pricing is good on the beam type. My RCBS scale was acting up and decided to dust off the old Ohaus scale. It will be a while before I look into the high end ones due to cost and me having more time on my hands-semi retired

The Harrell's Culver powder measure does a good job of throwing and the Neil Jones/Lyman 55 upgrade does as well. They do their best with fine grain powders but do pretty well with H4350. The scales are where you run into problems with consistency. At least that's what I have ran into. Balance Beam scales do ok if they are kept clean and adjusted. Just my thoughts but I don't do high volume and I have the time to spend loading.

A good electric scale, lee powder dipper set use the one that’s just under and trickle with a dandy two speed. You can cruise through once you get a rhythm. You could buy all three brand new and be under $250ish

The lymans are known duds. It's why they are cheap and on gen 6 or whatever.

The original chargmaster has some issues that can be mitigated with mods.

The chargmaster lite fixed alotnof the issues and has a better display and throws a consistent charge.

Reactions: Powder_Burns
    I got mine for under 200 new in the box and figured it would work till something better fell in to my lap but that was two years ago. it’s been a slight pain in the ass trying to do load development recently with the inconsistent throws but I’ve been limping it along.

I own the Lyman, chargemaster lite, and v3. My Lyman was a dud. The lite performs exactly as advertised ( I think it is a great value). The v3 is great if you need or want it the add’l speed and accuracy. I

I have a V3 on order. I just went over 10k rounds for the year...and it is just the start of June :( I load everything from fine powder like Lil'Gun to coarse powder like RL-33.

Reactions: King_beardsly
    I have a V3 on order. I just went over 10k rounds for the year...and it is just the start of June :( I load everything from fine powder like Lil'Gun to coarse powder like RL-33.
    I’m definitely slacking compared to those numbers, I think I’m at like 500ish for the year but that just been forming brass and mild load development. I’ll probably be over 700 by mid week after I get a load dialed in tomorrow and load for the match next weekend.

Autotrickler V 3
    Just as easy to throw flake Bullseyue 6gr as 44 gr of Varget
    Expensive, yes
    Best powder throw for the $ is the original Chargemaster combo

Here is one comparison review
    BUT NOt AutoTrickler (Am prejudiced)

for those with the V3 set up. are y'all experiencing any float over time? I am seeing it on my scale after letting it sit for 30+ minutes....... as in the the tenths of a grain

I started using a gempro 250 to check my hornady autocharger. Im not setting any speed records, but my sd's are low single digits.

Stop turning it off.
    obviously my question isn't clear, so let me attempt this again? it is on. with weight sitting on the scale while it's turned on the entire time. I've also noticed drift while actually using............. Is anybody experiencing float, or has anybody tested their scale for float?

obviously my question isn't clear, so let me attempt this again? it is on. with weight sitting on the scale while it's turned on the entire time. I've also noticed drift while actually using............. Is anybody experiencing float, or has anybody tested their scale for float?
    I believe I may have also been unclear. I have not experienced float while using, unless it was recently turned on (less than 24 hrs). In general, I will not use it if it's been on for less than 24 hrs.

Reactions: C.R. Adams
    I believe I may have also been unclear. I have not experienced float while using, unless it was recently turned on (less than 24 hrs). In general, I will not use it if it's been on for less than 24 hrs.
    thank you, i will give this a try. Usually, i simply turn it on 30 + minutes before use.

Mine stays on 24/7, I leave the glass powder cup zeroed on the tray. I do notice sometimes the weight reads up to .04gr different after it sits for awhile. Somethings up to a week or two before I use it. I always calibrate it’s if it’s it’s longer than an hour or so since using last and it holds through with my reloading process.

Drafts, static, power cleanliness, other electronics distortion all come into play on scales that precise.

Reactions: MarinePMI
    V3 is one of my best investments. Love it. Used to run a chargemaster and never had accuracy issues or anything but this is so much faster AND more precise. Money well spent.

I’ve been running a lynmen Gen5 powder scale for the last two years and it works well enough but the consistently of the throws is never spot on either a little light or a little over. Now I’m looking to step into something a little more precise with out breaking the bank, any suggestions?

Best advice ever! DON'T! Buy the very best beam scale you can find, like an Ohas or something. Ever auto feader does the same thing. I know, I have had them ALL. Love my RCBS BEAMER! Take more time but puts you where you need to be. Think about this, what do we use to check our auto feeder? A "Beam Scale" of course! Better buy 6 so you can check you beam scale against another beam scal, and so on, and so on.

A
    Best advice ever! DON'T! Buy the very best beam scale you can find, like an Ohas or something. Ever auto feader does the same thing. I know, I have had them ALL. Love my RCBS BEAMER! Take more time but puts you where you need to be. Think about this, what do we use to check our auto feeder? A "Beam Scale" of course! Better buy 6 so you can check you beam scale against another beam scal, and so on, and so on.
    I don't use my beam scale to test my lab scale because it isnt accurate enough. My lab scale will pick up variance in my ballance scale tho. I use a check weight to check my lab scale. When I got it I also took it to a research lab and tested it against a far more accurate scale

You could do a old trick I learn is to count each kernel. Make a small pile of powder then take your used credit card and chop it up in .1gr. 4 kernels to a .1gr. No Battery power not needed for this trick.

Reactions: secm
    I vote Prometheus Gen2, every 10 seconds 1/3 of a kernel accuracy

At three times the cost. Do you think your ammo is 3x better than an Autotrickler?

More accurate in charge weight for sure, the question is what does 2/3rd a kernel accuracy in charge weight look like in terms of performance in the real world?

I did a beam scale when I started, then did dual chargemasters for years. Had to do a LOT to get good single digit SDs but it was doable.

The v3 Autotrickler makes it effortless. I literally turn it on and go. Single digit SDs, usually under 7 every time.

Why go further? Maybe if you're a bench rest guy 🤷🏼‍♂️

At three times the cost. Do you think your ammo is 3x better than an Autotrickler?

More accurate in charge weight for sure, the question is what does 2/3rd a kernel accuracy in charge weight look like in terms of performance in the real world?

I did a beam scale when I started, then did dual chargemasters for years. Had to do a LOT to get good single digit SDs but it was doable.

The v3 Autotrickler makes it effortless. I literally turn it on and go. Single digit SDs, usually under 7 every time.

As far as I’m concerned the V3 put the Prometheus in a has been option status unless you just want to show off.

As far as I’m concerned the V3 put the Prometheus in a has been option status unless you just want to show off.
    If I had plenty of spare cash I would love to mount a Prometheus on top of a Dillon 650. I don't ever see it happening tho

Reactions: gunsnjeeps
    Started with a 505 and an RCBS trickler. Actually used a rifle case before I got the trickler.

I have a PACT, it tends to overthrows 1 or more charges in 10 with Varget. It throws about 50 charges in 35 minutes, not counting overcharges. Faster to let it dump a new charge than fix the heavy ones. Plus or minus .1 gn on the scale. I've used it since 2005 for most of my rifle ammo. Out of production, last I heard still offering repair service.

RCBS's warrantee turned me off of their electronics. Great support for reloading equipment but throw out your electronics if they break after 366 days.

I have both Dandy powder tricklers. For the price they are ok. I bought a 1010 to use with the second Dandy that you set the weight with. Never got around to setting it up. Actually forgot I bought that one until I opened a box on a shelf to see what was in it. The first model electric trickler works well enough, I'm sure the second one does. (I see they quit making it the one with the electric eye.)

I was going to get the 1010 tuned up. The wait times seemed to be getting longer as I watched so I never did.

I bought a GemPro. Not a bad scale to weigh an item, not good for trickling powder on to in my opinion.

I have a Midway scale that came with something else I bought from someone. It seems ok to drop a bullet or loaded round on. I made sure it worked when I got it.

Autotrickler on order. I'm pretty sure most of my other stuff will be for sale after I get it. Keeping a 505 scale, my manual trickler, might keep the 1010.

my time is more important than the cost, I work 12 hour shifts, 2.5 hours of commuting, Giraud, Prometheus, Co-Ax are all time savers without giving up accuracy, if you can't afford the best I get it, but if you bitch about the cost because you can't afford the best I have no sympathy, you should have chosen better a career, I get paid by the hour, I don't use credit cards to fund my hobbies, and a Prometheus Gen 2 is the best money I ever spent on reloading.