• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need opinion

Luckysob

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2023
Texas
I'm planning on going on a mountain goat hunt in Colorado with a friend for the second time and I'm looking for a good long range rifle

The first time I went I had a $300 Romanian PSL with a russian scope, now at $2500 on up, I don't think so and I want something in 308

I have been looking at the Bergara B-14 HMR rifle in 308, but is there anything lower in price that can perform as good

Tikka makes a fantastic rifle and they are a great value -- Many on this site will recommend them -- But they are about the same price as a Bergara

For an inexpensive hunting rifle -- The Ruger American receives consistently great practical reviews (check out some Youtube videos) -- But they are certainly not refined and very few on this site would recommend them

The Bergara would be a solid choice, so would a Tikka.
Howa makes a fine rifle.
Personally, I would reconsider the cartridge choice and look at a 6.5 PRC for your intended use.

this

also...goat hunt and a cheap ass rifle rarely go hand in hand
That $300 PSL nailed one at 833 meters (910 yards) with a russian scope

The cross wind was only 7 mph, I was told to aim at the neck, the 174gr bullet hit under the ear and the head imploded

I want something that can come close or match that lucky shot and well under $2500

In your budget:
Tikka T3X in your choice of caliber, possibly the T3X CTR or UPR would be my suggestions.
Add in a Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22 FFP scope from Scott at Liberty Optics

You'd have a very good setup that would be accurate and reliable as well as light weight for hunting.

Reactions: YotaEer
I would put the Tikka ahead of the Bergara but either one will make a great rifle. Man for a budget option the Ruger American is a good gun and will go bang but the other 2 especially the Tikka will feel better doing it.

Take a look at the Springfield waypoint.
With the carbon fiber barrel it’s a very reasonable weight. Comes in 308 and 6.5.

Good luck on your hunt!!

That $300 PSL nailed one at 833 meters (910 yards) with a russian scope

The cross wind was only 7 mph, I was told to aim at the neck, the 174gr bullet hit under the ear and the head imploded

I want something that can come close or match that lucky shot and well under $2500

You came to the wrong place to bullshit people. No, you didn’t headshot a goat with a PSL at 900+ yards.

You came to the wrong place to bullshit people. No, you didn’t headshot a goat with a PSL at 900+ yards.
You believe what you want, your not the first one and won't be the last one to "call bulls**t", I did get lucky and may never do it again

Then I am a liar, again you are not the first ones to react this way and won't be the last

You can move it to the other thread or even delete it, but I had one lucky shot, the one that "didn't get away" and I will continue look back at it

Then I am a liar, again you are not the first ones to react this way and won't be the last

You can move it to the other thread or even delete it, but I had one lucky shot, the one that "didn't get away" and I will continue look back at it

Perhaps you should stop repeating the lie then since everyone knows your full of shit.

998.jpg

Back to the question. TIKKKKKKKAAAAAAA! Little cheaper than that bergara and saves you almost 3lbs. Easy choice if your going to be packing it up the side of a mountain in Colorado.

From the research I have done so far, the Tikka T3X Super Varmint 308 seems to be the one that will work, which cost between $1400 and $1650

This shows that humans are fucking nuts. One guy who wants to hunt goats will ask for a rifle that launches a 900 gr bullet
at 3999 FPS so that he can hit a goat 9 miles away and another wants a to hunt with a round that stops dead in its tracks at 750 yards.

:ROFLMAO:

Well I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but clearly you make no sense. You ask for cheaper than the bergara then mention a rifle 1.5x the cost. You want to hunt mountain goat in Colorado but are looking at heavy varmint/tactical rifles. And we are going to avoid the long range shooting claims.

Any rifle off the shelf anymore in anything from 243win on up should be just fine. Literally could walk into big-5 grab a Savage or Remington or Tikka or blah blah anything off the shelf chambered in nearly any chambering that those come in and slap a decent scope from Leupold or Burris, etc... from their mid-tier+ lines and be 100% equipped for shots well over 400m. Saying you need opinions is, to me at least, saying you'd like to sniff someone else's asshole. You're just looking for shit-sign whether or not you know that.

Reactions: whatsupdoc
Any rifle off the shelf anymore in anything from 243win on up should be just fine. Literally could walk into big-5 grab a Savage or Remington or Tikka or blah blah anything off the shelf chambered in nearly any chambering that those come in and slap a decent scope from Leupold or Burris, etc... from their mid-tier+ lines and be 100% equipped for shots well over 400m. Saying you need opinions is, to me at least, saying you'd like to sniff someone else's asshole. You're just looking for shit-sign whether or not you know that.
Sniffing assholes , how did you get started at that ?

Here is the problemo with .308 W. Bear in mind that I am a .308 nut and I have 4 rifles in .308. .308 rounds tend to have a lot of drop. Usually are fired at slower twist rates and velocities. Which can be extremely accurate at 500 yards and less. My TC Compass II in .308 is very good at 100 yards.

However, shooting past 3 - 500 yards, You may need a flatter shooting cartridge. People are doing cool things with 6.5 CM. But before I would go to say a .300 WM, I would consider a 7. Either a 7 mm Rem Mag or the new 7 mm PRC, which also kicks like a magnum because it basically is a magnum. In fact, if you have a .300 WM, you can swap barrels. It is pushing 175 gr at 3k fps at a flat trajectory. 22 MOA on the turret will get you to 1k yards on a 0 MOA rail. Put on a 20 MOA and get some of your dial back and zero at 200 yards.

So, at distances longer than 500 yards, you still have plenty of knock down energy.

I could suggest on YouTube looking up Rogee Productions. Those guys are in New Zealand hunting on public land with a .300 WSM, basically a fat .308.

Here is the problemo with .308 W. Bear in mind that I am a .308 nut and I have 4 rifles in .308. .308 rounds tend to have a lot of drop. Usually are fired at slower twist rates and velocities. Which can be extremely accurate at 500 yards and less. My TC Compass II in .308 is very good at 100 yards.

However, shooting past 3 - 500 yards, You may need a flatter shooting cartridge. People are doing cool things with 6.5 CM. But before I would go to say a .300 WM, I would consider a 7. Either a 7 mm Rem Mag or the new 7 mm PRC, which also kicks like a magnum because it basically is a magnum. In fact, if you have a .300 WM, you can swap barrels. It is pushing 175 gr at 3k fps at a flat trajectory. 22 MOA on the turret will get you to 1k yards on a 0 MOA rail. Put on a 20 MOA and get some of your dial back and zero at 200 yards.

So, at distances longer than 500 yards, you still have plenty of knock down energy.

I could suggest on YouTube looking up Rogee Productions. Those guys are in New Zealand hunting on public land with a .300 WSM, basically a fat .308.
What do you think of 6.5 PRC? Got a friend who does crop damage whitetail with one and they do shoot out to 800 or so when doing it…from a portable bench but the round seems to work well for that distance, no?

Tikka in 6.5 PRC would be my suggestion. Way better ballistics than the .308, 156 Bergers should work well.

Reactions: Ronws
6.5 PRC is also good for the performance. I know of at least one person who likes 6.8 Western overall. I love, love, love .308 but there are better performing options.

Currently, I have a 7 mm PRC and I am working making that my new all game hunting rifle. Although, I might still use .308 for hog hunting.