• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need opinions..... 1/4 MOA or 1/2 MOA EREK?

mattmcg

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2007
CA
I just put in for a new USO 3.8-22x scope and am putting this on a rig that will shoot out to 1K yards. I'm trying to decide which EREK to include with the build and am looking for opinions. I'll be going MOA as I'm not a mil type.

This rifle is meant for shooting out to 1000 yards. It's a 308 Win shooting 155gr Scenars to give you an idea for how much drop I'll need to compensate for.

So should I go with the 1/2 MOA or 1/4 MOA EREK knob?

Re: Need opinions..... 1/4 MOA or 1/2 MOA EREK?

personally I prefer 1/2 moa adjustments. It depends on what you are shooting. If it's benchrest then even 1/4 MOA is probably not fine enough.

It's really simple.

At 1000yd 1/4 MOA knobs will get you ~+/- 1.3" max distance of your aim point, 1/2 MOA will get you at least +/- ~2.6" or closer of your aim point. If you can live with being off your point of aim by at most 2.6" at 1000 yards I prefer the speed of more coarse adjustments.

Another plus with 1/2 moa is you get to 1000 in less than 1 revolution.

Depends on what you're shooting at 1000 yards - with steel 1/2 MOA should be alright, if F/TR or other non bench 1000 yard comps 1/4MOA - rememeber on an F Class 1K target the X ring is IIRC 5" and the 10 ring is 10". That additional 2.5" in precision adjustment could help you with your X count.

If the scope is for tactical use, 1/2 MOA is the way I'd go.

For target shooting, 1/4 MOA is the largest I'd go with. Otherwise I'd get a Nightforce benchrest scope with 1/8 MOA adjustments.