• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision Need opinions on lasers

madppcs

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 23, 2011
    Forest hill, Louisiana
    Ok, I already have a DBal and a PVS14 that I use very often. I mostly hunt hogs with this setup. I want to outfit my other ARs (5.56 cal models) with a laser that wont break the bank. I have been experimenting with my visible laser on my Dbal and havent met ANY animal that spooks even when I hit it in the eye with the visible laser. So in my opinion I dont need 3 other Dbals. What I did was purchase 3 crimson trace railmasters after I had very good luck with the 1st railmaster. Well, after I ran it through Warfighter Concepts Rifle/Pistol course Im having trouble with it. It has a mind of its own now and will turn on sometimes when I flip my iron sight up, or wont turn on/off at all. It did rain 1 of the days, so the problem might be water instead of consistent recoil. I let it dry for a few days, but no luck. My ARs that they are on are lightweight and I want to keep them that way. So Im wanting something reliable, waterproof, lightweight, small profile, and not have to be IR capable. (In other words, I dont want a Dbal hanging somewhere on my light ARs).
    Here are the rifles Im talking about.
    My 6.8 hunting rifle with the Dbal.

My ARs that have the Railmaster but want to add a more reliable laser

as far as wgat you are wanting the Crimson Trace is right. Surefire also has some smaller laser/light combos that are small and work well. Replace the CT that had a hickup. Everything else is larger and heavier. The CT is about as small and compact as you will get.

LDI makes a very nice vis/IR laser known as the CQBL1, although they have had issues with battery problems and their ability to hold zero. They have since been bought out by Steiner, maybe they will get things squared away.

Thanks for the reply. Ill be contacting crimson trace about the issues Im having. The reason I went with them is because of the reputation they have and Ive had their products in the past. And the railmaster seemed to fit every requirement I was needing. Im sure they will make it right. And Im not angry at all. I know every man made product has the ability to fail. Im just trying to avoid or minimize murphys law. Because if its gonna fail, its gonna fail when I need it, and not when its convenient for me.

Same thing happened to me. In a treestand when the absolute bottom fell out. I stayed until it stopped raining hard enough to keep me from seeing 20 yards. It hiccupped for a week or three and then gave up. CT sent me another one. I also have a UNI-IR mounted at 12. I made a kydex cap for it that keeps the rain from hitting it dead on, but by no means is it waterproof, but does help.

I've used my laser-max ir-lasers twice in 1 inch per hour rain so far and no problems. The good thing about the laser-mas ir-lasers is cost $155 a piece ... one for each of 4 rifles, instead of one to move around and re-zero over and over ...

Well, Im debating using the streamlight TLR-2 HL 630 and mount it at the same 12 o clock position. Its mostly used on pistols, but so is the railmaster.