• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Sling help

Flight Medic

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2014
Just purchased my first full-length rifle, an Armalite AR-31 (7.62x51mm, 24" barrel). I've purchased some accessories to go with it (Atlas bipod, Ergo grip, etc), but I'm confused about slings. I want to be able to switch from prone position (using bipod) to sitting/kneeling position and use a loop-style sling. I've heard good things about the TIS Slip Cuff Quick Release Sling, but not sure if I need to swap the Armalite factory rear sling mount for a QD type to use this. Does the TIS provide the necessary QD mechanism to use the loop, or will I need to swap the rear sling mount for a QD type??

Also, the factory AR mounts are fixed-position...is it better to have sling mounts that swivel?

Here are the factory mounts (for reference)-

REAR
9cQWIP.jpg

FRONT
JZHznN.jpg

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The TIS slings are available with QD attachments, Talon HD swivels, HK type hooks, or Mash hooks, so choose what type of attachment you want.
No need to change anything if you do not desire so.

Rotating, limited rotation or solid studs/cups, is really more of a personal taste then useability imo.
Personally i prefer either a fixed stud or a limited rotation flush cup. having them go 360 degrees just makes a mess of the sling and i really can't see any practical use for it, when you get those with limited travel.
The limited rotation type can be a bit more convenient/comfortable for some positional shooting, compared to a fixed one.

Looks like with the old school loops like you have you would just get the plain sling with no hardware and just thread the sling through your existing loops. I has a TIS and love it. Good luck

We carry all of the TIS slings, and as mentioned, you can order with what ever hardware you need. The swivels are not sewn in, so you can change/alter them as needed.

All of the slings we carry are listed here:

Triad Tactical, Inc. :: Rifle Slings

Thanks for the reply. I have seen your website, but the problem is that I DONT KNOW what "hardware need" to achieve my goal. Does the TIS sling have a built-in QD buckle to allow me to do THIS...

Or do I need to purchase QD hardware mounts for my weapon??

Please advise.

The TIS slings are available with QD attachments, Talon HD swivels, HK type hooks, or Mash hooks, so choose what type of attachment you want.

<snip>

I dont know what type of "attachment" I want. "Talon", "Mash", "HK"...that all means nothing to me because I have no idea what you're talking about. I haven't used a sling (or shot a rifle) since USMC Boot Camp in 1982...and I dont remember if we used the "loop/cuff method" or not. But I'm pretty sure thats the best way to stabilize a rifle.

Last edited:
IMO get set up for qd/flush cups, it is very versatile, neat, and simple. I have used a variety of slings and each have their strengths, a lot of tgis becomes more preference than "this one is better" if that makes sense. Better for you might not be better for me. TAB makes excellent slings that last and function well. TIS with the quick detach cuff is a little more wizz bang but the cuff needs to be important to you or its not much different than other offerings. The versatility award right now I think goes to the FTW sling since it incorporates a lot of features that were the standouts on other slings.

First time buyer? FTW sling with QD attachments is my suggestion.

Another sling to consider is my Slip Cuff Quick Release. Made out of same US materials. Easy in an out. Back pack style adjustment. Also comes in Multicam. My favorite sling on market. Plus cost is reasonable for lifetime warranty. Triad carries these as well.

You do not need to do anything special to use this on your fixed swivel rifle stock.