• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need Some Advice for a Scope on a .223 Bolt Gun

Short-Fuze

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2008
Mission, Texas
Just picked up a Crescent Customs .223 Bolt and wanted to get some help selecting a scope for this stick. Budget is $2500.00 and I would like to stay MIL/MIL. I've been looking at the USO 1.8-10 and the Nightforce F1, but just can't decide. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What are you wanting to do with it, and other than mil/mil under $2500, what are your parameters? Size, weight, mag range, illumination, varmint blaster, hole puncher, etc...

Redmanss barrel length is 16.5" with a Surefire over the barrel suppressor. It's not a light stick so weight isn't really an issue, I will be using it for hole punching and blasting varmints on the ranch.

I'd take a hard look at the March 3-24x42 FFP. Tactical 3-24 x 42 FFP
Widest mag range in the industry, incredible glass and turrets; very lightweight and versatile.

The 24x top end would help on the long shots at small targets, without going to a longer and bulkier 6-24x and loosing nice 3x low end. You'll probably be happy with any of the current $2500 scopes though, the Leupy mk6 and others are worth checking out too.

I always tend to lean toward more magnification. Comparing 2.5-10, 3.5-15 and 5.5-22, there is not a world of difference between 2.5x and 3.5x however at distance the extra 5x on the top end is huge. Same with the 5.5-22. 15x and 22x is a big jump.

I would look for the smallest field of view on low power acceptable and let that be your guide. Is 5.5x low enough to be able to hunt with? 3.5? Look at the width of the field of view and decide for yourself.

Myself being a paper puncher primarilary, low end is rather insignificant. Top end is more important for me. I almost bought a 2.5-10 and went 3.5-15 at the last minute. I'm glad I did but my next one will be 5.5-22 or similar.

Here is my .223 with a 3.5-15 on it.

25eae8c123e2dd248d069c78b8e463b0_zps9e6c687b.jpg

Considering that the farthest I'm likely to take this gun is 600 yards, 15x is enough for me. Personally I find myself looking for more than 10x at around 500 yards.

As I said earlier, if I had to do it again, I would go straight to 5.5-22. Money being the limiting factor right now, I'll keep what I have.

Last edited: