• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some help from the South Carolina guys

louu

The only NON methhead in NJ
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2020
I'm planning my escape from this communist state of New Jersey. They are about to make the vaccine a requirement at both the wife's and I jobs because of our scumbag governor and that's the last straw.

Where's a good place to live in SC? We have kids and obviously I love shooting so need a good daycare /schools and a good location to make it to shooting matches every weekend mostly USPSA.

I'm going to need a job, right now I have two jobs. I'm a mechanic at a nuclear power plant and I'm a local 13 boilermaker/welder. My dream job would be a welding instructor at a votech because I love passing on knowledge and I'm pretty good with kids.

I'm planning my escape from this communist state of New Jersey. They are about to make the vaccine a requirement at both the wife's and I jobs because of our scumbag governor and that's the last straw.

Where's a good place to live in SC? We have kids and obviously I love shooting so need a good daycare /schools and a good location to make it to shooting matches every weekend mostly USPSA.

I'm going to need a job, right now I have two jobs. I'm a mechanic at a nuclear power plant and I'm a local 13 boilermaker/welder. My dream job would be a welding instructor at a votech because I love passing on knowledge and I'm pretty good with kids.
Best of luck dude.

It is out there; find it and it will happen if you make it.

I was just thinking of starting a new thread called: "A dumbass buys land and builds home", to capture what I am finding through this process; so many things you cannot anticipate and good/bad info along the way - kinda crazy. No matter how much you read-there is much to learn if this is the path you want. If you don't mean-out in the woods... much easier indeed.

But, I do wish you and yours the best.

Reactions: louu

Greenville Spartanburg area aka the upstate

Reactions: louu and lht645
I was just checking out Greenville on the map and it looks really congested. I'm a country boy, I really don't like traffic. I have a small shooting range in my back yard and would love to have the same down there.

Am I wrong about that area?

Reactions: Edgecrusher
You are correct about most of the Greenville Spartanburg area. Look at Cherokee County taxes are cheap, lands available and the traffic is not bad. Well the traffic's not bad unless you get on the interstate because they're working on it right now

Let me give you the real dope from a former South Cackalakian who now lives in NC. Avoid mid state and anything further than a couple of miles from the coast unless you like roasting in the armpit of hell from April-October. We are talking 100 degree days with 100% humidity.

Checkout the western upstate, Oconee and Pickens County maybe. There is a nuclear facility there, Clemson University, and still some pretty empty places. Or at least there was when I left in 2006.

Reactions: Howland and louu
Going to have to watch this thread. I'm looking at SC for medical travel and want to know as well. Florida is the other.

you could work at salem 3 nuclear plant ( or what ever the name is now ) and Delaware is only min away from jersey it's dim / communist controlled , but you can own almost any gun you want while taking advantage to being sort of close to 3 pretty long range ranges you got pa 600 -1,200 , md 600 and ohio and the gates to heaven close enough to drive to , no taxes on purchases you can't legally own a silencer but who really needs quiet guns when the tears of locals complaining about noise levels is such a great pastime let em cry . No If your going to sc good luck and best wishes may you find that as close to perfect home as you could be looking for and congrats for getting escaping NJ .

Not sure in SC but Sharon Harris is in NC, https://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactors/har1.html

I've been skiing there and don't recall the area being populated at the time, us1 is a major highway though. Several community colleges near it also. You would be close to woodys range and colemans creek.

Nuclear plant down here may be hiring. I live outside of Columbia in Blythewood and have several friends that work there....VC summer if I'm not mistaken.

Look at the newberry/prosperity area, you'll have access to Clinton house and it'll fit your country desire.

I’m in Rock Hill right below the state line. We have a nuke plant and a tech college that has a welding program. Greet to be so close to Charlotte. We have a place at north Myrtle and can be there in 3 hrs or the mountains of NC in 2 hrs. We enjoy it here

Shoot for Plant Vogtle. A lot of vocational schools have started nuke programs trying to promote fresh blood, as most of the current techs are in their 70s now...

Thanks for all the replies guys this forum is awesome.

I've been down tons of times over the years and love the food down there. I'm currently on vacation in Maine right now and I'm starving, the food up here sucks so I'm just going to wait till I get home to eat lol.

I live in Charlotte, right across the SC border. You can shoot uspsa in Spartanburg 2x per month. Columbia, Charleston, and north of myrtle beach 1x. Clinton House mear spartanburg is always shooting something. I would look outside of the spartanburg greenville area, but close enough for city convenience. Come on, lets go shoot!

I second the recommendation for Pickens or Oconee Counties. They have just enough elevation to temper the heat and humidity. Elsewhere in SC is nice except for the sauna climate.