• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need some help picking budget steel

PowerstrokeOBX

Gunpowder Addict
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
Outer Banks NC
Building a private range out 1600ish or further if needed be ,but I dont think I need to use .5 thick AR500 past 1000. Can I use ar400 or thinner ar500? Im wanting to go cheaper because I want some 16, 18, and 20 inch circles made. Only using 7mag and 6.5Creed but will probably use 338LM and 50BMG at some point.

Re: Need some help picking budget steel

We use ar400 3/8" plate after 500 yards, works fine. The 50 might pock it under 1k, but the stuff will take alot of punishment before needing replacement.

use 3/8" AR500 for 338LM and 375 Cheytac as close as 700 yards without any damage.

I would go with premium 3/8" AR 500. Shoot it with whatever you want at those far distances. And it will last forever.

Check out big dog steel. They came out with an economy line and are a 'hide sponsor.

I built a private range out to 1600. I went way over killl and building set me back 30G alone so when it came time to build targets I was being a tight a$$ and did not want to spend another $6000 on 112 AR steel targets, so I went to the local welding shops and they were more then willing to let me pick through there scraps I beams worked the best and yes you will want 1/2 or the 300gr SMKs/ & 50 cal will burn right through everything out to 800

Secondon the 3/8" Ar400, we have been using it with a 338 edge and 30-378wby...the wby will ding it at 400, but from 500 on there is vrey little damage.