• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some help picking budget steel

PowerstrokeOBX

Gunpowder Addict
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
Outer Banks NC
Building a private range out 1600ish or further if needed be ,but I dont think I need to use .5 thick AR500 past 1000. Can I use ar400 or thinner ar500? Im wanting to go cheaper because I want some 16, 18, and 20 inch circles made. Only using 7mag and 6.5Creed but will probably use 338LM and 50BMG at some point.

Re: Need some help picking budget steel

We use ar400 3/8" plate after 500 yards, works fine. The 50 might pock it under 1k, but the stuff will take alot of punishment before needing replacement.

use 3/8" AR500 for 338LM and 375 Cheytac as close as 700 yards without any damage.

I would go with premium 3/8" AR 500. Shoot it with whatever you want at those far distances. And it will last forever.

Check out big dog steel. They came out with an economy line and are a 'hide sponsor.

I built a private range out to 1600. I went way over killl and building set me back 30G alone so when it came time to build targets I was being a tight a$$ and did not want to spend another $6000 on 112 AR steel targets, so I went to the local welding shops and they were more then willing to let me pick through there scraps I beams worked the best and yes you will want 1/2 or the 300gr SMKs/ & 50 cal will burn right through everything out to 800

Secondon the 3/8" Ar400, we have been using it with a 338 edge and 30-378wby...the wby will ding it at 400, but from 500 on there is vrey little damage.