• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need suggestions semi auto in 308 whats the best?

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    I am looking to but a 308 in semi auto and have read a lot abot DPMS AR10 etc
    What did the marines just buy that was on the show untimate sniper?
    Lookied loke a DPMS in 308 but if fulton armory the best one ??
    Any help appreciated.
    I have a M-21 Springfield just looking to add another unit
    Bill

Re: Need suggestions semi auto in 308 whats the best?

Its not the marines its the army's new sniper rifle the m110 SASS... As for me Im a fan of m14 rifles so for a semi auto platform I think its all I will ever own im kind of biased haha...

My friend has a DPMS LR-308 with a 24" barrel and it shoots just as good as my bolt gun (FN).

The M14, even the sniper model, will probably not ever be able to hang with an AR-10 variant or a good bolt gun.

I would agree the SR25's seem to be the cats ass?
    the M1A is a blast to shoot but the bolts out do her every time

Keep in mind that the M110 is a sub-800 meter stick. If you want to go out past that, you need a bolt.

What is the prupose of the rifle?

3 gun matches?

pig hunting?

throwing lead downrange?

Heading to the sandbox for some private contract work?

All semi autos .308s are NOT created equal.

M14s M1As have no equal imho as combat rifles, but as stated previously, NOT the best target rifles unless you dump a LOT of money into one.

AR-10 configurations are a different animal entirely.
    Scope friendly, and not much transition in training from an Ar-15

I used an FN-FAL for a year or so while working in a nasty South African country.
    It wasnt a matter of choice, it was available and while I did not like the handling of the weapon, it was reliable and accurate out to 700 meters or so.

Be a little more specific.

Re: Need suggestions semi auto in 308 whats the be

I love my new POF 308, granted I haven't even shot it yet. I have heard only great things about it. We will see.