• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need to get into shape (round is not cutting it)

weston

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2008
Kentucky
Alright guys, you all know more about PT that me. I'm 28 5'10" and 195#. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and it aint pretty. I was never "fit" so to speak, but ready to change all that. I eat fast food breakfast everyday, well did anyway. That is changing too. I carry all my extra weight around my gut, and moobs:( I went for a jog this morning and it sucked. I made it about 1/2 mile and felt like I was going to die. I kept telling myself suck it up puss. Still felt like crap though.

I know the diet has to change and runs in the moring have to get more productive. Can any of you all tell me what I need to do?

Re: Need to get into shape (round is not cutting it)

The P90x is working for me... Just a thought. It's a hell of a commitment, but it's doable.

Diet is pretty important. Not only to cut out bad calories but to fuel what you are doing for workout. First thing first. If you have not been recently go to the Doc and get a physical. Make sure you are sound to start and then do some research and pick a program. Ask around about gyms some have trainers that really know their craft. Research.

I got to go the ER in December and have a nice talk with Doctor Cardiologist afterwards. Since then, I've cut out Gatorade and pop ("If you're thirsty, drink water."), stopped eating fast food ("The Mcdonald's Angus Cheeseburger has almost 800 calories, nearly half your daily intake.") stopped eating a lot of sugary stuff like poptarts and pie ("Lots of calories in a form you don't need.") and gone to a higher protein and lower carb food regimen. That, and a little moderate excercise (walking) has dropped almost 20 pounds since January, without huge sacrifices. I feel better, my pants fit better, and now that the weather's livable I plan to start bicycling.
Go see your doctor, and make the changes you need for a healthier lifestyle.

1911fan

I think one of the best forms of exercise can be mountain biking. Its easy on the joints, plus who can't ride a bike? Running will be your highest calorie burn workout, but can be difficult to start. Once you can run a mile without stopping you'd be surprised what you can do. Whatever you do, ease into a program. Oh, and you can't just stop eating x. Its like saying "don't think of a pink elephant". what's the first thing you think of? smarter calorie intake and calorie expenditure are the keys to losing weight and keeping it off.

Thanks for the thoughts. I will keep you guys posted on the progress

Doctor visit first, then...

Hang a heavy bag, learn to wrap your hands, then bang it.

A buddy of mine, with a cleaned up diet, has lost 290 pounds in the last 2 years doing this.

You'll be fit faster than you think.

I agree that you should go see a Doc first.

Then, cut out all pop ("soda" for you Northerners), all refined sugars (candy, chocolate, white flour, etc.), and as many bread-products that you can.

Get used to eating 5-6 meals per day with no more than 3 hours between meals (for some of us this would equate to 7-8 meals per day). Focus on eating a high protein diet (chicken, fish, and pork). Beef is not to be eaten more than once a week.

Also, once you start this kind of a spartan diet, you'll feel like putting a .45 into the back of your throat. So, in order to fight this depresive feeling, allow yourself one cheat-meal per week (whatever you want to eat and drink is allowed at this meal).

Get to the gym and either get a running coach or get a lifting coach/budy.

P90X is a great program...but you will die trying to start it with little-to-no prior workout experience. I would suggest that you get into a basic lifting/cardio program before you start P90X. That's what I would tell any of my clients in your position.

Mr 300 nailed the nutrition part. Never skip breakfast, and I like to start with moderate carbs, a complex protien (egg beaters or just egg whites) and a quick protien i/e shake). Keep a liter water bottle with you, drink plenty of water all day long. Nothing excessive, but as you start to clean your system you will need to flush the toxins out.

Sounds like you have a few goals, fat burning and muscle toning. The fat burning is actually pretty easy, but boring as sin. This can be as easy as going to the gym and getting on 4 machines at 15 min sessions. Do not go over 65% of you max heart rate for your age (over 65% gets more into cardio conditioning). So walk on the treadmill, elliptical, climber, and bike.

Now before you start getting crazy with the weights you must strengthen your tendons and ligaments. The P90x is great because it has various levels from easy to advanced, but you can also google circuit training. This works your entire body, but you are focusing on your getting the joints ready for the next phases.

Since you are starting out, never run every day. You must allow your body to recover. So you can do a fat burner and circuit on odd days then run on the even. You can work out on a 5-2 or 3-1 split to give yourself recovery time.

Yeah dont forget "fat Tuesday" reward your self with some dairy queen or something

As for food, nothing processed. go to the grocers and make your own.

Stick with it, after 6 weeks or so you will notice your pants getting looser and you body toning.

Lastly, most folks have Iphones or the type, download a program to track everything you eat, here is a quick link to a target calorie count http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm, but by all means dont lose weight by starving yourself. Take it slow, you will be ripped by Aug.

As a Navy Hospital Corpsman (just retired last year) I ran the remedial PT program at a few commands. It is tough at first, but stick with it.

Good Luck

Don't get discouraged starting out. We all had to start from somewhere. It takes time but once you make the lifestyle change and stick with it you'll feel better. Your not going to feel great at first but give it some time. Take it slow and easy until your body becomes comfortable with working out and just gradualy increase. Do not forget to work on your smaller muscle groups either!
Get creative about your meals. There are plenty of good things that you can make which are tasty!

Good luck!

P90X is better than most, but Crossfit is free and never boring. They have hundreds of free videos and a free "WOD" (workout of the day) that isn't posted until the prior evening. There's a site that lists alternate/scaled-down workouts until you're ready for the crazy stuff. Testimonial- I went from not working out to being about to do 100 pull-ups in 10 minutes, in a few months. My wife had never done one, and could do sets of 7 or 8 before long.

Weston, I'm in much the same situation...
I used to be fit from Fencing & other sport. But June 2010 I had a pretty bad bike accedent and have not been active since.
I used to weigh 65Kg (I'm 175cm) I'm now close to 90Kg & all of it round the gut :-(
So it's time to get up & start training again... I'm with you on this mission & let's keep each other going till we're our old selves or better than we were!
G'luck
Rgds
R-Raven

Works good for me. Went to the Dr. today. Good to go. I'm 5'10" and 186#

eat lot's of clean food's , try not to eat processed food's ,eat lot's don't try and starve you self.

lift weight's start small for a week or two then go big don't do x amount of rep's
go till you fail.

Get a training partner they help you a lot and you hep them .

Run running is good when you need to think about something go for a run , it helps me ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Take it slow and easy until your body becomes comfortable with working out and just gradualy increase. </div></div> This is really good advice, otherwise it's just too easy to throw in the towel and give up. Having a training partner is helpful too, because on the days you are lacking motivation they will pull you along.

All good advice so far but if you are just starting out I think it's important to think about this in a linear fashion. Don't change everything at once, it's too much for a lot of people to process...<span style="font-weight: bold">1st</span> get to where you don't miss a workout for ANY reason, this includes weddings, funerals, births, work, holidays, hockey playoffs, etc. You really need to get this sorted out in your noggin or you will not be as successful as you want to be... <span style="font-weight: bold">2nd</span> make sure you are getting at least 8 hrs of sleep; sleep is key in resetting blood sugar levels each day which is key if you want to be less round... <span style="font-weight: bold">3rd</span> make changes to your diet and the above diet recos sound like great changes. You'll have to experiment with the your food to see what works for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got to go the ER in December and have a nice talk with Doctor Cardiologist afterwards. Since then, I've cut out Gatorade and pop ("If you're thirsty, drink water."), stopped eating fast food ("The Mcdonald's Angus Cheeseburger has almost 800 calories, nearly half your daily intake.") stopped eating a lot of sugary stuff like poptarts and pie ("Lots of calories in a form you don't need.") and gone to a higher protein and lower carb food regimen. That, and a little moderate excercise (walking) has dropped almost 20 pounds since January, without huge sacrifices. I feel better, my pants fit better, and now that the weather's livable I plan to start bicycling.
Go see your doctor, and make the changes you need for a healthier lifestyle.

1911fan </div></div>

I did this last January and lost 60 pounds in 6 months. This, for me, has been THE way to go. I stopped the program, and need to get back on BADLY. Still a ways to go before I am happy again.

Ogre

Assuming decent health, all you have to do is follow the exercise and nutrition suggestions given here. I don't know if it was mentioned but be sure to get your sleep too.

At 28 if you stick with a routine for even weeks you'll start to see very noticeable changes. Stay with it for months and chances are you won't believe the mirror.

Make the commitment and do it. Push yourself. The very first workout is always the hardest......

Do not eat anything pre-packaged or canned. Fast food is a big no-no! Cut out as much sugar and sodium from your food intake as possible. The older you get the harder it is to burn up the calories you're used to eating as a teenager and early 20ies. 6 days of good eating and exercise at least 3 times a week should be good depending on your goals. 1 day out of the week, eat whatever you feel like to keep yourself sane and true to the changes in your life. Lots of water to help lose weight as well as suppress the appetite.

Remember, it's not a "diet." It's a change in life style. Don't get on some gimmick plan that you can't stay on for the rest of your life.

Do not drink Soda - that high fructose corn syrup adds up quick.

Knew a lady that quit soda, lost 15lbs in about 1-2 mos...

OK Shots fired in my neighborhood, WTF..........can't be fireworks..

i would vote p90x
i use this program to help new recuit to pass the power test it even helps witht the run great program

stop reading this forum and do something outside. now.

jk

all great advise above. one thing to add, atleast for me, make it/ keep it fun. if it sucks all the time your not going to last. when it really sucks remember to tell yourself its fun.

read born to run or one of dean karnazes books

Re: Need to get into shape (round is not cutting i

Ease into a diet, stick to it. Exercise regularly. Drink a lot more water, and a lot less 'other drinks'.

Sometimes an abrupt change in physical lifestyle will bring about all kinds of crazy injuries and happenstances into your body. Weigh fluctuation, aches/pains, tired at weird times, and a multitude of other worthwhile activities.

Definitely look into talking to a regular doctor about it (IT WILL GIVE YOU MORE INCENTIVE TO KEEP GOING AND PROGRESS). If you can get into it or get access, talk to a dietician or personal trainer, they'll motivate the heck out of you.