• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need to pick some brains...group flyers?

WaltherP99

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hey guys...need some opinions. Recently dropped my Savage Mdl. 12FV .223 into a XLR element. Rifle was previously mounted in a Stockade P-Dog. Took the rifle to the range last week and it shot well BUT not as well as it previously did. Groups we a little larger then before. We're talking maybe going from 1/4"-1/2" to 3/8"-5/8" (I know...nothing to be concerned about). Well, decided to actually take the time to do things right and starting torquing my rifles to proper values instead of winging it and this is where the flyers started. Besides the torquing, the only other changes that were made to the rifle is a new optic mounting system (EGW 0 MOA base and Burris XTR rings). Would insufficient torque values cause the occasional flyer? Torque values this time around were lighter then before.

Also, I did have a few rounds where the cases had some dings in them...would this cause enough of a pressure difference in the round to cause a POA shift?

The flyers were not consistent and only happened with 2 groups out of 6. The wife shot one of the groups which, as usual, was smaller then the groups I shot! LOL

Sorry in advance if I forgot any pertinent info.