• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need your help to decide, AI AW 338LM or Badger M2013 338 LM.

Canuck1977

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2011
Mirabel Canada
Hi all,

I really need your help to decide. Should I buy the new Badger 2013 (I know it's not out yet but almost the same as the M2008) in 338 LM or do I buy an AI AW 338LM... I figure that once fully built, the M2013 would cost around the same thing as the AI... What would be, according to you guys, the pros and cons? What would you do...

I'm planning on using the rifle from 800 to 1500 yards. Is the AI better?

Let me know what you think...

Oh no the M2013 is way cheaper. I built a .338lm M2008 with a T5A, basically 1100 stock, and it was 4100 dollars with a 30 in barrel. I can't say whether one is better but i really enjoy my m2008. I can easily say the badger is way cheaper.

I have a .338 AWSM and I like it a lot. If you go with the AI you are going with a known entity. Those rifles have been drug around the worst parts of the world and perform. I see you live in Canada so you are in the AW's playground, it was built for extreme cold. There is no need to do anything to it out of the box and a new barrel is a phone call away. I don't believe that AI sells the AWSM in .338 anymore so you would have to find one for sale somewhere. I have no problem with used AIs as they are hard to screw up. A used .338 in good condition goes for around 6K. One drawback to the AWSM is that it uses non CIP magazines so I don't believe you can use factory 300gn ammo. Mine ran factory 250gn Black hills, RUAG, and Lapua fine. I reload now because .338 is stupid expensive so I don't care about the CIP ammo. Also their older barrels generally do not stabilize 300gn bullets well due to a slower twist.

The 2013 looks really nice and if I ever build another custom the Badger action will probably be in it. You can build it exactly the way you want it and make it a hell of a lot lighter than the AI if you care too. The Badger will probably be cheaper depending on how wild you want to go with a custom. You can get a barrel with a twist rate for 300gr bullets if you want to go that way. If you like more traditional stocks it is a great way to go.

I've never owned a Badger action but I do have an AW in .308. From what I hear, the Badgers are very well built. And the AIAW is an absolute beast.

If you're looking to go as far out as 1500 yards, is suggest an AW or Badger in 300 Win Mag. It'll save you some money in the long run and will get to 1500 no problem. If cost of ammo isn't a big issue, I'd say look at the AI in 338. I know there's at least one AX in 338 LM in the classifieds right now, if you're not dead set on the AW. No matter what maker you choose, you can't go wrong. Good luck and keep us posted.

go with the AI !!!!! you will not be dissapointed. i have the aiawsm. with the pistol grip stock sides, nightforce scope,barrett rings, and a tbac supressor. friggin tack driver! and im shooting the nosler accubond 300 gr bullets at 2750fps. ouch! for the target that is...

I own a TRG 22 and thought it was the most accurate rifle I would ever own, I was wrong. I bought and AIAW folder and as others said it is a beast. I'd go with the AIAW and never look back. It is my legacy rifle.