• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Needing help with Ticks!

spartan67

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2009
central ny
Hi Everyone!
While scouting for the up coming deer season. I noticed that the ticks are everywhere! I took 6 off me when I got back to the car!

I hunt in mostly hard woods, and fields in Central New York.
My problem is, How do I repel them without creating a massive sent that will spoke deer?

Thanks for your help!

Permethrin clothes treatment is nearly odorless once applied, washed, and dried. But, mind the wind is still very good advice.

Attempt to not walk in thick brush or tall grass. Try and walk in more open areas or trails. Long pants, long sleeve shirts and boots also help. A good bug repellent also keeps them at bay. And as mentioned the spray don't matter as you have to keep the wind in your favor

Permethrin clothes treatment is nearly odorless once applied, washed, and dried. But, mind the wind is still very good advice.

This is a great plan.

I live in tick/lyme central here and use this method for all my hunting ventures in the woods.

If scent control is not an issue, I use this and good deet spray.

Just not worth the risk for contracting one of the several tick borne diseases so common today.

I speak from extensive experience on this.......

Good luck.

We take about 1/4 of a insecticide cattle ear tag for tics, flies, etc and attach it to the collar of our cow dogs. It works really well. Who knows, maybe if you attached it to your boot laces it would work for humans. Check with a livestock vet and see what they think.

Lots of people do the flea collers on the boots trick, I'm a hunter and a land surveyor so ticks are an everyday thing for me. I'm in central NY right now. I have found one so far up here and been here for the last 2 months. I have been to the doctor due to a bullseye that grew very big in Leavenworth KS. Hate to say it but I have used spray only a few times. I rather deal with the ticks than chemicals. The one that got me is the only one that the head didn't come out with. Don't use the burnt match trick or the swab n' alcohol trick as I hear they are not good. I just dig in and make sure I get the head out. Probably not the best advise but I have had at least 1000 ticks on me in the last 8 years of surveying and I guess I'm alright. Knock on wood. Not saying your safe like that but just wanted to share my experience.

Good Luck!!!

^^^^ Tuck yer pants in yer socks/boots and tape 'em up. Ticks happen.:)

X2 on the permethrin. I don't recall ever getting ticks or chiggers when using it. I've also used a product called permanone with the same results. I spray just my boots and pant legs. It's not supposed to be applied directly to skin though. For that I use 40% DEET and play the wind if deer hunting.

Knee high rubber boots and always have your pants tucked in..stay out of the tall stuff..

Permithrin, Permithrin, Permithrin!!

I used to come homes with ticks, all the time. Especially during turkey season.
Started using Sawyer's. Spray your clothes, let it dry, and you are good to go for as many as 6 washings.
Since I started using this 3 years ago, I have not had a SINGLE tick on me while out hunting. I have watched them crawl on my sleeve or leg and they just curl up and die.
I won't go our without this product. DEET doesn't work on ticks.

For an alternative to Sawyers, check Tractor Supply Store (or feed store), and get it in a concentrate. Mix according to directions and apply. The only difference I have noticed is that Sawyer's is totally scent free, while the TSC stuff has a lingering petroleum scent for a day or two. Just air it out longer.
And as others have said, you should be watching the wind anyway.

I bought it at Bass Pro shops. But, I have also seen it at Gander Mountain and have heard that it is sold at Walmart...

Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent - Walmart.com

Permithrin, Permithrin, Permithrin!!

I used to come homes with ticks, all the time. Especially during turkey season.
Started using Sawyer's. Spray your clothes, let it dry, and you are good to go for as many as 6 washings.
Since I started using this 3 years ago, I have not had a SINGLE tick on me while out hunting. I have watched them crawl on my sleeve or leg and they just curl up and die.
I won't go our without this product. DEET doesn't work on ticks.

For an alternative to Sawyers, check Tractor Supply Store (or feed store), and get it in a concentrate. Mix according to directions and apply. The only difference I have noticed is that Sawyer's is totally scent free, while the TSC stuff has a lingering petroleum scent for a day or two. Just air it out longer.
And as others have said, you should be watching the wind anyway.

THX, I just ordered my Sawyer's from Amazon, two weeks to go until Opening Day, CNY Southern Tier. My Brother got Lyme's about ten years ago, and it damaged his heart significantly; he started on oxygen this past January. My own heart already has significant damage, and I don't want any more.

I used to do everything I have read/could think of to 'control' scent but it just never appeared to be all that reliable. These days, I mind the wind, and simply orient my position into the wind. I have still had deer come up on me from downwind, so I'm just as puzzled as ever.

Greg

Thanks Greg! JUst went northern zone today. No ticks. I guess they haven't gone that far yet.
Good luck in Southern zone!

Thanks guys!! I got a bottle of Permithrin at Bass Pro last week. Works like a charm!!

I just wonder if I can use this to repel my EX also?
Good luck with deer season guys!!

Since using elimatick clothes by gamehide 2 years ago I haven't seen a tick.

Permethrin is the stuff you need. A quart of 10% is usually around $20 from feed stores/Tractor Supply. I dilute to 0.5% and spray everything that goes outdoors and let air dry. I even spray inside the truck. You can mix some with face cream and apply to exposed skin if the bugs are real bad.

Permethrin is a must for ticks. Make sure you check yourself good for ticks. You dont wana wake up in the morning and have a tick on your John thomas

If I remember right from a report I read at work a while ago a tick has to be attached to you for like 30 hours to transfer lyme disease. I'm sure some doctors or biologists would be more knowledgeable though. Finding ticks attached to you is no fun, trust me, but as long as you get them pretty quick you should be ok.

Back when I was a kid, we had ticks BAD on my family's property in central Texas. That was before the fire ant invasion of the late 70's/early 80's that quickly put the tick population in check, so now they are not too bad. Anyway, I spent a lot of time out in the woods when I was a kid and I would come home literally covered in both adult and nymph stage ticks....sometimes many hundreds of them! Most of them would still be walking on my skin, but many of them would already be imbedded. My grandmother taught me from an early age how to quickly get rid of them. I would fill a bathtub with water and then add about a half cup of bleach and get in it and soak. After a few minutes, all of the ticks would simply float dead to the water's surface. It works!

Some may not like the idea of soaking in bleach water, but it beats the hell out of being covered in ticks!