• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 6mm Advanced Rifle Cartridge

@LRBuck: That is great news that your rig is giving you good early results with factory ammo. Looking forward to hearing more.

@SBRSarge: I want to be careful and only relate my experience. I have 3 Ballistic Advantage barrels. The first was a SR25 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. It shoots in the .4s and .5s and has been a pleasure to own and shoot. I bought a 6.5 Grendel barrel from them and after some but not extensive load development I gave up. I couldn't get it to shoot under an MOA and lost interest in the project. So, we can't count that one as anything other than undetermined. I bought a 20" Ballistic Advantage DMR 6mm ARC barrel from Brownells in early June of this year. I tried as hard as I could to get the barrel to shoot under an MOA. Some groups would but there was no consistency. I contacted the Ballistic Advantage support line and they sent me an RMA for the barrel after several back and forth conversations. So, I would rate their customer service highly. I did not send the barrel in as I built a new barrel. In all fairness, there are other parts to an AR that have a big bearing on accuracy and it wouldn't be right of me to pass negative judgement on Ballistic Advantage barrels. I realize this isn't terribly helpful but they do have a sub-MOA guarantee and seem prepared to stand behind that.

@ormandj: I think we use a lot of tools in assembling and testing loads, some more accurate than others. Many of your thoughts resonate with me in that for most common cartridges there is a lot of experience and wisdom available about which powders to use and what muzzle velocities, in general, work for that cartridge. Initially, back in June, there was no info for the 6mm ARC. If one is a 6mm AR or FatRat shooter then you probably would have had a good idea of powder and where to start. I didn't. I don't think of QuickLoad as the source of truth but I do see it as another tool that can help narrow down powder choices and projectiles given the proper inputs gained from testing. I am not arguing and recognize that you are right but I wouldn't call QuickLoad flawed, I'd just say it needs to be tuned for your barrel and components and once that is done, it can offer some useful guidance. Or, maybe I am full of crap and just like to tinker with shooting stuff when not on the range :)

Hope you all have a great week!

Henry

Reactions: SBRSarge
Anyone have a good source for barrels or uppers in 6 ARC that are known to shoot? I’m looking for a friend who is wanting to try precision and already has a few AR’s.

I told him to start with a good bolt gun but he’s got a touch of the ghey and never listens to my first five suggestions, lol.

Preferably with an adjustable gas block since he’s shopping his first suppressor too. Odin works is out of stock. Are CMMG or Aero with looking at?

@ormandj: I think we use a lot of tools in assembling and testing loads, some more accurate than others. Many of your thoughts resonate with me in that for most common cartridges there is a lot of experience and wisdom available about which powders to use and what muzzle velocities, in general, work for that cartridge. Initially, back in June, there was no info for the 6mm ARC. If one is a 6mm AR or FatRat shooter then you probably would have had a good idea of powder and where to start. I didn't. I don't think of QuickLoad as the source of truth but I do see it as another tool that can help narrow down powder choices and projectiles given the proper inputs gained from testing. I am not arguing and recognize that you are right but I wouldn't call QuickLoad flawed, I'd just say it needs to be tuned for your barrel and components and once that is done, it can offer some useful guidance. Or, maybe I am full of crap and just like to tinker with shooting stuff when not on the range :)

We are in agreement, I find value in using things like QL/GRT. I just accept them as what they are, tinkering tools that need truing with real-world data.

Anyone have a good source for barrels or uppers in 6 ARC that are known to shoot? I’m looking for a friend who is wanting to try precision and already has a few AR’s.

I told him to start with a good bolt gun but he’s got a touch of the ghey and never listens to my first five suggestions, lol.

Preferably with an adjustable gas block since he’s shopping his first suppressor too. Odin works is out of stock. Are CMMG or Aero with looking at?

Depends on what "shoot" means to you. If you want 1-2MOA, CMMG will probably get you there. Much better is a question mark, they aren't exactly known for match grade barrels. No idea on Aero. I don't think enough people have factory rifles in this caliber yet to have a lot of opinions on factory options, everyone I've seen so far is running custom barrels or the higher end semi-custom barrels like Odin and Proof. Perhaps some folks with factory uppers will chime in, but I haven't seen any yet.

I do agree with your suggestion, though, he should grab a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt rifle that'll shoot half-moa or better to start, and see if he even enjoys it. Inexpensive but accurate ammunition, plenty of load data, plenty of equipment reviews, etc. It's a lot to figure out precision/long-distance shooting with a semi as your first experience, way too many variables. I'd hate to see your friend give up out of frustration because he jumped off the deep end, especially on a new cartridge. The factory 108 seems to shoot fairly well out of my rifles, but there's not a lot of load options if your rifle doesn't like it. Good luck fighting the good fight!

Reactions: verdugo60

Based upon my Ltd experience so far, either a Rock Creek or Bartlien from Craddock Precision if he MUST start in a gas gun.
But I agree 100% with @ormandj. He probably ought to start with a bolt gun in a caliber as he described. I got really frustrated that I could not get consistent sub moa during my .224 Valkyrie exercise. Had to keep picking up the bolt rifle to restore my confidence that I really was an ok shooter and it was likely little tweaks needed to my rig. Learned a lot of lessons though and need to learn so much more.

I just got the Rock Creek barrel from Craddock Precision I ordered back in July. I went with a 22” with a .875 gas block. Installed it, zeroed scope and shot about 40 rounds of the 105 Hornady Black so far. Really really pleased with it.
I wasn’t trying for groups as I was tuning the gas block/doing break in and haven’t put any muzzle device on it yet, but I had a 6 shot group that was around .5-.6 MOA. Thought I saved the target but I didn’t and didn’t take a pic. It averaged 2690 on the Magneto. The last shots were over 2700. Shifted to the 500 yard range and had fun confirming dope and hitting head shots on the steel. Surprised how well it shot the Black factory ammo. Haven’t shot the 108 ELD-M’s yet. Will try for groups with them next time out and post.

Great to hear. I'm waiting on my Rock Creek from Paul as well. I just got an update from him stating that he ran out of blanks from Rock Creek and doesn't have a backorder date so my 22" won't be coming any time soon. However he said he had a 20" ready to go, so think I'm going to go that route.

Reactions: LRBuck
Great to hear. I'm waiting on my Rock Creek from Paul as well. I just got an update from him stating that he ran out of blanks from Rock Creek and doesn't have a backorder date so my 22" won't be coming any time soon. However he said he had a 20" ready to go, so think I'm going to go that route.

I posted velocity data somewhat further up out of an 18" Bartlein from Craddock with the factory ammunition, and it's > 1200fps beyond 1000 yards, so a 20" should be fine with factory 108 ELD-M ammunition. You can go crunch the numbers with the loads you plan on using, but I'm personally happy with my 18" at 1000, and a 20" would give me even more of a velocity margin.

Reactions: LongRangeAggie
20" vs 22" - what say you, 50fps of MV less?
Before I ordered, I was torn for a little while between a 20 or a 22”. I will deer hunt with it (hopefully tomorrow) and thought maybe 22” would be more awkward in a stand etc than 20”. But I went 22” because I shoot occasionally at a (really low key) match where the longest target is 1190-1200. Not many gas guns there! 22” should get me past 1200 with factory ELD -M 108’s or hand loaded 109 Berger LR hybrids if I get them moving 2650+. I expect approx 2700 out of the 108 ELD’s when I get a chance to run them by the Magneto.

FWIW, if 1000 is the outer limit you intend to shoot, I think 20” is they way to go - especially if it gets into your hands faster.

20" vs 22" - what say you, 50fps of MV less?
Cartridge was designed around an 18"barrel, You are not really going to gain much if anything going longer, nothing that you will notice anyways. I have both 18 and 20 and can't tell any difference in the two Faxon barrels. Now my 18 Odin barrel is a different story, it gives 20 velocity and is a solid tack driver, but it is a match barrel with a custom gas system and tight chamber.

Well, Glory Hallelujah! I got notice today that my 18” Odin barrel / BCG shipped. Looks like I’ll be building a new rifle for Christmas.

They are still out of stock on the website, though.

Reactions: jcoolhand5
Before I ordered, I was torn for a little while between a 20 or a 22”. I will deer hunt with it (hopefully tomorrow) and thought maybe 22” would be more awkward in a stand etc than 20”. But I went 22” because I shoot occasionally at a (really low key) match where the longest target is 1190-1200. Not many gas guns there! 22” should get me past 1200 with factory ELD -M 108’s or hand loaded 109 Berger LR hybrids if I get them moving 2650+. I expect approx 2700 out of the 108 ELD’s when I get a chance to run them by the Magneto.

FWIW, if 1000 is the outer limit you intend to shoot, I think 20” is they way to go - especially if it gets into your hands faster.

There's a post with my velocity data in an 18" and 10.5" earlier, I averaged 2643fps on a new 18" Bartlein from Craddock with the factory 108 ELD-M, measured with a Labradar. I'll have more velocity data with reloads + LVR soon. That said, with factory ammunition, I'm at 1253fps @ 1000, I'm down to 1148fps at 1100, and at 1078fps at 1200. I like to try and stay above 1200fps to avoid transsonic behavior at distances I intend to shoot often. This rifle was setup for 1000 max; anything beyond that is just for fun.

With a 22" you'd really need to get up to 2900fps to keep it above 1200 fps at 1200 yards, and that's not really feasible even with bolt gun pressures. That's not to say you won't be able to hit steel reasonably well at that distance, just that bullets _may_ behave strangely depending on what's going on downrange once they cross into the transsonic region. Truthfully, I rarely have problems even at 1100fps with most bullets, it's just something to be aware of. I'm sure you'll ring steel just fine at 1200 with your 22". That said, I really see this cartridge as more of a very efficient 1000yd and in tool, and an 18" barrel gets you there relatively safely with any of the heavier/higher-BC bullets.

Well, Glory Hallelujah! I got notice today that my 18” Odin barrel / BCG shipped. Looks like I’ll be building a new rifle for Christmas.

They are still out of stock on the website, though.

Did you backorder or were they in stocks be what was your wait time?

I went 22" from Craddock. Went together nicely. Old lower I used on a Krieger barreled 223. Fresh upper. Hoping to sight it in on Thursday. Hoping the long wait was worth it. I have a case of 108 Match ammo to run. Will report back after a break in period.

Which barrel brand did you go with?

Last edited:
So I'm curious, where is this cartridge standing so far? Is it meeting expectations? It looks great on paper, but then so did .224 Valkyrie.

So I'm curious, where is this cartridge standing so far? Is it meeting expectations? It looks great on paper, but then so did .224 Valkyrie.
Even before 6.5 Grendel was SAAMI-approved, we already knew how 6mm Grendel wildcats performed, and it was excellent out of the gate.

That included the 6mm AR, 6mm AR Turbo, and 6mm AR Turbo 40 Improved.

You had light recoil, great selection of high BC 6mm bullets, and some great medium game and varmint bullets for hunters.

It’s already been performing optimally in the AR-15 for well over a decade.

It’s basically a 6mm PPC with more case capacity, and tighter twist rates.

Hornady’s recent work in taking the cartridge to SAAMI just brings us factory ammo and brass now.

There is no guesswork, hype, or all the problems with the Valkyrie.

Proof Research. Can't speak for stock/availability but they hammer.

FWIW, based on the suggestion of a few here, I have a Bootleg adjustable BCG here to try next to the Superlative Arms AGBs. I picked up a few fixed gas blocks, so I'll toss some on the barrels with the Bootleg and see how it performs.

Reactions: Henryrifle
Very curious to hear how the Bootleg BCG performs. Have used the Rubber City Armory adjustable gas key which, works great but, it is more of a set it and forget it solution as it is not readily field adjustable.

Henryrifle

7 small to medium-small doe between 80 and 250 yards in Georgia a few weekends ago. 108 ELD-M at 2670 FPS muzzle velocity. Dead on the spot!

Reactions: LongRangeAggie
I've smoked a bunch of raccoons and a coyote. A friend has killed a couple of deer. 108's at 30-250yd; everything has worked well. The deer were one and done. Coyote dropped like a sack of potatoes. Raccoons obviously don't stand a chance.

87 v-max is a stone cold killer on coyotes.
I've only shot the 108 out of my 6 Creed, and that destroys too. No reason to think it wouldn't also work at the slightly lower 6 ARC velocity.

Reactions: RMB
I just read through all 26 pages of this, and bolt issue keeps nagging at me. With rounds like 450 Bushmaster, 458 socom that have a larger .473 head dia, vs the 6arc .441. Is the bolt for 458 socom bolt physically larger in diameter compared to a standard bolt. Thus if a 458 bolt was cut to 6arc spec, would that give us a bolt strong enough to run with the bolt action guys?

Or are the 458 bolts just milled to within an inch of their lives because the rounds only run at 32-40k psi?

I just read through all 26 pages of this, and bolt issue keeps nagging at me. With rounds like 450 Bushmaster, 458 socom that have a larger .473 head dia, vs the 6arc .441. Is the bolt for 458 socom bolt physically larger in diameter compared to a standard bolt. Thus if a 458 bolt was cut to 6arc spec, would that give us a bolt strong enough to run with the bolt action guys?

Or are the 458 bolts just milled to within an inch of their lives because the rounds only run at 32-40k psi?

You called it, except your dependency ordering is reversed. The cartridges are limited to those pressures due to the amount of material that has to be removed from the bolt.

:poop:...it's frustrating to already have all of the pieces for an upper build but can't get ammo, ARC or 6.5G brass, most +90gn bullets, or preferred powders. It's beginning to look like it will be after the hunting season before much of anything MIGHT become readily available, probably at inflated pricing too! The good thing :rolleyes: is more users will be posting their data & experiences in the meantime that should help in buying decisions. My goal is to hopefully have a 1000yd possible lighter, smaller AR15 format rig to replace my AR10 rig. I was hoping to see some posts of folks using AR-Comp, but so far none. I can't just run down to a LGS, I have to rely on online sources and trans-pacific shipping...

:poop:...it's frustrating to already have all of the pieces for an upper build but can't get ammo, ARC or 6.5G brass, most +90gn bullets, or preferred powders. It's beginning to look like it will be after the hunting season before much of anything MIGHT become readily available, probably at inflated pricing too! The good thing :rolleyes: is more users will be posting their data & experiences in the meantime that should help in buying decisions. My goal is to hopefully have a 1000yd possible lighter, smaller AR15 format rig to replace my AR10 rig. I was hoping to see some posts of folks using AR-Comp, but so far none. I can't just run down to a LGS, I have to rely on online sources and trans-pacific shipping...

The powder is available in quantity, you can buy LVR on a number of the major sites right now. Here's one for you: https://www.natchezss.com/hodgdon-leverevolution-spherical-rifle-powder-1-lbs.html --- not sure how trans-pacific shipping will work on this, though.

If you need brass, just go shoot these: https://www.milehighshooting.com/hornady-81608-6mm-arc-108-gr-eld-match-20-box/ --- same concern on shipping, no idea there.

Can't help on the bullets right now, I'd have to go dig through all my bookmarked sites. You can generally backorder them, though. Primers are also tough if you're not stocked up already.

Good luck, and happy shooting.

RE: AR-Comp, I gave it a go and it didn't work for me velocity-wise. I gave up on temp-stable powders for this cartridge, for now, with the velocity I want out of my 10.5" and 18" barrels. Last I talked to Hodgdon they were discussing the potential for a different variant of Staball that might be a better fit, but it was over a year out.

Reactions: LRBuck
Brownells has cfe223 in 8lb jugs right now too. I stocked up on LVR and will probably pass on getting one of these.

I am currently going the route of factory ammo from MHS to get brass and enough to shoot next year. Shipping and tax kind of sucks from them but it is what it is right now. I am a dumbass and dont have enough primers.

I've had one on back order for months at midsouth, maybe it'll come in finally...should have gotten grendel one and resized it in my die

I've had one on back order for months at midsouth, maybe it'll come in finally...should have gotten grendel one and resized it in my die

Just cancel it and order from Midway if you want to be sure to receive it soon.

I just made my own modified case, took a fired cartridge from my rifle and drilled out the case head with a #7 drill bit and tapped it with a 5/16 36 tap. You then have the ultimate modified case because it is sized to your chamber because it was shot from it.

Reactions: RMS6
if I would have invested in a tap in die set awhile ago, then I'd go that route, but not sure how much I'd use it beyond a few projects like this. I get that a case from my chamber would tighten things up but the pre made gauge gets me close and then fiddle around with seating depths anyway.

Just purchase a single tap, you would not get that tap in a set anyways, it is a obscure size.

You would then have it to make other case's with. Tap is about 15 bucks for a good one.

Then again I'm a tool freak, I would rather buy a tool and do the job myself rather than pay someone else to do it. Even if it is a tool that I know I may never use again... but you never know.

Found a way to leave work early yesterday and ran out to the range before dark to try the factory 108’s in my 22” Craddock Rock Creek barrel.
It shot the ELD’s very well. I need practice as I hammered the trigger and pulled shot #4 in the 5 shot group. But I love the 4 shot group!
It was about 50 deg. and they averaged 2690 on the Magneto. SD of 8.1. Min 2680 Max 2698. I have now run 60 rounds total through it.
Rushed over to the 1000 yard range and worked out to 600 confirming dope before it got dark.
Hoping to bust a couple of does tomorrow and Saturday!
1A84E43F-DC21-4430-933A-1C63F89C108C.jpeg

There is a limited group buy on Lilja barrels being delivered end of December. Last I saw there are still some 16” and 12.5” available. It is on the 65grendel forum under group buys.

Reactions: verdugo60
Spent some time at the range today testing and had a few rounds to try with LEVERevolution. I have been using 29 grains of CFE 223 with the 108 ELDs and getting 2660 +/- 5 FPS out of my 21.75" barrel.

From the early load data provided by Hornady, it looks like you get equivalent speed out of LEVERevolution with about .6 grains more powder than with CFE 223. As I am close to the published max load with CFE 223, I decided to load 29.6 grains of LEVERevolution, just 1/10th shy of the published max load. I expected to get very similar velocity as with CFE but, was very pleasantly surprised to see 2720 FPS and 2723 FPS on both 5-shot groups! The temperature today was 63 degrees, within 3 degrees of where I have done all previous testing using CFE so, temperature was not a factor. SDs were 4.5 and 9.7. The first group was a tight .47 MOA at 100 and the second was a not so tight .98 MOA with two shots out of the group. I didn't pull either of those shots but, am looking forward to retesting the load over the weekend to see which group repeats.

I guess I am going to have to pick up a few more pounds of LEVERevolution now. Wish I had started with that powder--there was a lot of advice to do so on this board.

If you are just starting out with 6mm ARC and are looking for what looks like a great powder, consider LEVERevolution. Looks like it is going to be a winner.

Will check back in on Sunday with an update.

Hope y'all have a great weekend,
Henryrifle

Spent some time at the range today testing and had a few rounds to try with LEVERevolution. I have been using 29 grains of CFE 223 with the 108 ELDs and getting 2660 +/- 5 FPS out of my 21.75" barrel.

From the early load data provided by Hornady, it looks like you get equivalent speed out of LEVERevolution with about .6 grains more powder than with CFE 223. As I am close to the published max load with CFE 223, I decided to load 29.6 grains of LEVERevolution, just 1/10th shy of the published max load. I expected to get very similar velocity as with CFE but, was very pleasantly surprised to see 2720 FPS and 2723 FPS on both 5-shot groups! The temperature today was 63 degrees, within 3 degrees of where I have done all previous testing using CFE so, temperature was not a factor. SDs were 4.5 and 9.7. The first group was a tight .47 MOA at 100 and the second was a not so tight .98 MOA with two shots out of the group. I didn't pull either of those shots but, am looking forward to retesting the load over the weekend to see which group repeats.

I guess I am going to have to pick up a few more pounds of LEVERevolution now. Wish I had started with that powder--there was a lot of advice to do so on this board.

If you are just starting out with 6mm ARC and are looking for what looks like a great powder, consider LEVERevolution. Looks like it is going to be a winner.

Will check back in on Sunday with an update.

Hope y'all have a great weekend,
Henryrifle

Great news, I'm glad to hear it's off to a good start for you! I agree, I should have listened to forum advice and started there myself. I've run a half dozen powders now and ended up on LVR myself. I'll be working on loads soon, just waiting on a few new parts so the rifles are static before I put a bunch of time into it. I've got a bunch of once-fired brass that's annealed/FL resized/expander-mandrel ID neck sized/trimmed/chamfered/debured/neck-turned/primer pockets uniformed/flash holes reamed and ready to go. It got the full precision rifle treatment, so it better not let me down. I'm cheating and cranked my TT diamond down to 1.5lbs, so it's all on the rifle build/barrel/myself at this point.

If you already are printing 5-shot .47MOA groups on a fresh load with no workup, that's impressive! Go find your mid-point powder weight node, then tinker with seating depth, and finally do a final powder charge tune, and it sounds like you'll have a heck of a shooter. Hope I luck into a 1/2 MOA group to start!

Yeah, I'd say that is full match prep! I rotated some Hornady brass back into my available stash before going to the range today. It was brass last used in original barrel and the shoulders needed to be pushed back a couple of thousandths. The brass had already been annealed and sized so, I took the expander ball out of the die and just pushed the shoulders back. I trimmed before loading. I did notice that when seating the bullets there was that distinctive increase in pressure required as if pushing past a donut. I think I am going to neck turn as well. That was 6mm ARC brass from the factory with 4 firings on it--not converted Grendel brass.

Your rifles are perfect. Let go of your OCD and go shoot them! Your data is going to be valuable.

Henryrifle

Reactions: RMB
Thanks for the updates. Getting my 6 ARC out tomorrow with a 20” SS Proof.
Hodgson has LEVERvevolution in stock on there website right now.

Here is a fun update on 6ARC terminal ballistics. My son and I had the mission of getting rid of our Halloween/Thanksgiving pumpkins (they were not carved, so they last a long time). We filled them with water and grabbed our ARs. See the damage below.

Right to left, all at 100yds with 1 round in each:
- 22LR
- 223 Rem (69gr SMK at 2600ish)
- 6ARC (105gr Berger at 2600ish)

The two hit w/ 22 cal were turned around to show exit holes. The 6mm cal was just 'gone'

1607819915496.png