New Action Coming Soon...Falkor Viper

SonoranPrecision

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
I’ll be interested to see what it offers over anything else. Obviously competition can be good for the consumer, as it drives the price down, but at face value this feels like a band wagon of an action. But who knows, maybe they did something spectacular. At the very least I hope they hold tolerances well enough for shouldered profits.

One1Bravo

Ops4
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
I’ll be interested to see what it offers over anything else. Obviously competition can be good for the consumer, as it drives the price down, but at face value this feels like a band wagon of an action. But who knows, maybe they did something spectacular. At the very least I hope they hold tolerances well enough for shouldered profits.
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Reactions: SonoranPrecision

rydah

Moons out goons out.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2019
The angled cut outs in the pic rail for a levelling wedge for your scope are interesting.

jscheider45

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2019
Hmmm....Will be interesting to see. Always nice seeing more options on the market. Falkor hasn't really made anything that hasn't been quality. Price point will be the most concerning part.

SonoranPrecision

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
I will add, if they do this right, they could have a real winner. For example, feeding, ejection, and bolt lift as smooth as an impact, tl3, defiance, etc. threaded trigger pins, tool-less bolt disassembly, an already established prefit tenon pattern (tl3, origin, impact, whatever). AND price it in the $800-$1000 range, then they might stand a chance at breaking into the market in a big way. I still have a feeling they didn’t do that, but only time will tell.

Reactions: CStroud

goosed

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
May 11, 2014
MN
I will add, if they do this right, they could have a real winner. For example, feeding, ejection, and bolt lift as smooth as an impact, tl3, defiance, etc. threaded trigger pins, tool-less bolt disassembly, an already established prefit tenon pattern (tl3, origin, impact, whatever). AND price it in the $800-$1000 range, then they might stand a chance at breaking into the market in a big way. I still have a feeling they didn’t do that, but only time will tell.
Sub $1k with a machined in recoil lug and scope rail...

Yeah that would be cool, but I'm not getting my hopes up as there is an awful big raw material cost doing an action that way

Reactions: SonoranPrecision

Sogan

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 11, 2013
I know threaded trigger pins are in the process of being/ if not already trademarked by Zeu

Long Range 338

Professional Ammo Waster
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jul 10, 2012
Out West
I'll bet its another "me too" action being made by Defiance and branded for Falkor. Quality will be excellent but probably nothing new as far as features. They can throw their Dracos barrel on it and give it their lifetime warranty.

Reactions: JeffLebowski

kthomas

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I'll bet its another "me too" action being made by Defiance and branded for Falkor. Quality will be excellent but probably nothing new as far as features. They can throw their Dracos barrel on it and give it their lifetime warranty.
Doesn't look like anything Defiance produces.

Falkor has their own manufacturing capability, they've been in the manufacturing game for a long time. There's zero reason or advantage for them to source out manufacturing to another US based manufacturer.

kthomas

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I always enjoy seeing new products come out. I'll watch this one, but it's getting harder and harder to break into the precision rifle action market.

Unless they offer new features that shooters find desirable, or come in at an excellent price point, I think Falkor is going to find that it's going to be a tough grind to get market share, especially when we have the plethora of established brands we have today.

I'm all for more competition, but I hope they offer something more then just another ~$1200-1300 push feed R700 variant.

Long Range 338

Professional Ammo Waster
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jul 10, 2012
Out West
@kthomas
@Winny94

Possibility of me talking out my ass? VERY high. I'm not trying to shit talk on Falkor, it just feels like 5 years ago when everybody was bringing out their own "original" AR receivers. There are truly innovative actions out there - Defiance has been doing it for a very long time, ARC, Bighorn, KRG, Curtis, Cadex, etc (not to mention many others). The hype here tends to provoke a big "yawn" from me.

See the link to the new Defiance Ruckus, to my eye there are many similarities. If I am mistaken and this is a real "game changer" I'm happy to eat crow.

DFM_2019_Ruckus_right_9003-1024x453.jpg

kthomas

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
@kthomas
@Winny94

Possibility of me talking out my ass? VERY high. I'm not trying to shit talk on Falkor, it just feels like 5 years ago when everybody was bringing out their own "original" AR receivers. There are truly innovative actions out there - Defiance has been doing it for a very long time, ARC, Bighorn, KRG, Curtis, Cadex, etc (not to mention many others). The hype here tends to provoke a big "yawn" from me.

See the link to the new Defiance Ruckus, to my eye there are many similarities. If I am mistaken and this is a real "game changer" I'm happy to eat crow.

View attachment 7286878
I never said it was going to be a game changer. Or any different from the other R700 variant push feed actions currently out there. That I don't know.

What I do know is that Defiance doesn't currently manufacture anything that exactly resembles the new Falkor action, from a machining standpoint.

It doesn't make any sense for Falkor to have Defiance machine these actions, when they have the means to produce it themselves. Defiance makes actions for other companies, as do other companies such as Mack Bros. Making actions for other companies happens, and has been for a while. I'm not arguing with you on that. But from what I see, this Falkor action does look new and produced in house.

But hey, let's ask Defiance themselves. @Defiance Machine, are you making this action for Falkor?

khuber84

Aim small, miss small
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2008
Montana
Falkor is 5 mins from my house, Defiance 10. I was in the Defiance facility a month ago, full shop tour, saw nothing that resembled this action. After the covid bs is done, I'll head to falkor and play with one. Hopefully it's as nice my impact.

Long Range 338

Professional Ammo Waster
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jul 10, 2012
Out West
I never said it was going to be a game changer. Or any different from the other R700 variant push feed actions currently out there. That I don't know.

What I do know is that Defiance doesn't currently manufacture anything that exactly resembles the new Falkor action, from a machining standpoint.

It doesn't make any sense for Falkor to have Defiance machine these actions, when they have the means to produce it themselves. Defiance makes actions for other companies, as do other companies such as Mack Bros. Making actions for other companies happens, and has been for a while. I'm not arguing with you on that. But from what I see, this Falkor action does look new and produced in house.

But hey, let's ask Defiance themselves. @Defiance Machine, are you making this action for Falkor?
Not trying to put words in your mouth, just my off the cuff reaction to what feels like more of the same. Every manufacturer tries to hype their stuff and tell us what a game changer their product is, and even the very best rarely are.

I'm with with you on more competition being better for the consumer. Now if any of these guys would manufacture something to similar tolerance so I could use pre fits from AI, Curtis, ARC, or some of the other actions that would give me something. If I decided I didn't like my (insert brand here) action anymore and could take my barrel that shoots well but isn't worn out and throw it on their action and continue shooting....

SonoranPrecision

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
What’s that little angle port on the receiver in front of the bolt On the Falcor?
I believe it’s a vent in case of an over pressure incident/case head separation/bore obstruction. Give the gas somewhere to go instead of pushing the bolt through your jaw (and yes, while extremely rare, this has actually happened).

Ordnance Locker

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2019
While you are correct in the Defiance doesn't make the Falkor action, you'd be surprised what's out there that Defiance makes and you wouldn't necessarily recognize the work by just looking at it.

Eberlestock Action 2.jpg
Eberlestock Action.jpg

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Nov 19, 2013
@kthomas
@Winny94

View attachment 7286878
Theres a canyon between spec'ing out a private label action and being a game changer - all we're saying is Defiance is absolutely not manufacturing the Falkor

Reactions: kthomas

Meety Peety

It's possible
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2017
San Diego
Saw this pop up on instagram yesterday. I like that more and more action options are coming out, I think more competition is good for everyone. Would have been nice to see a little more information on the features and whatnot, especially because one of the posts said "feel free to ask questions" and a some of those questions were vaguely answered. Mostly I'm just curious if it is going to turn out that the only "neva been don befo" feature is the scope leveling notch.. I guess the answers will come in time. Looking at the action, I'd say its going to fall into the $1200-$1400 range, though they hinted at a offering pre-order that would blow us away.