• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Action Coming Soon...Falkor Viper

I’ll be interested to see what it offers over anything else. Obviously competition can be good for the consumer, as it drives the price down, but at face value this feels like a band wagon of an action. But who knows, maybe they did something spectacular. At the very least I hope they hold tolerances well enough for shouldered profits.

I’ll be interested to see what it offers over anything else. Obviously competition can be good for the consumer, as it drives the price down, but at face value this feels like a band wagon of an action. But who knows, maybe they did something spectacular. At the very least I hope they hold tolerances well enough for shouldered profits.
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Reactions: SonoranPrecision
giphy.gif

Hmmm....Will be interesting to see. Always nice seeing more options on the market. Falkor hasn't really made anything that hasn't been quality. Price point will be the most concerning part.

Reactions: jhutch3313
I will add, if they do this right, they could have a real winner. For example, feeding, ejection, and bolt lift as smooth as an impact, tl3, defiance, etc. threaded trigger pins, tool-less bolt disassembly, an already established prefit tenon pattern (tl3, origin, impact, whatever). AND price it in the $800-$1000 range, then they might stand a chance at breaking into the market in a big way. I still have a feeling they didn’t do that, but only time will tell.

Reactions: CStroud
I will add, if they do this right, they could have a real winner. For example, feeding, ejection, and bolt lift as smooth as an impact, tl3, defiance, etc. threaded trigger pins, tool-less bolt disassembly, an already established prefit tenon pattern (tl3, origin, impact, whatever). AND price it in the $800-$1000 range, then they might stand a chance at breaking into the market in a big way. I still have a feeling they didn’t do that, but only time will tell.

Sub $1k with a machined in recoil lug and scope rail...

Yeah that would be cool, but I'm not getting my hopes up as there is an awful big raw material cost doing an action that way

I know threaded trigger pins are in the process of being/ if not already trademarked by Zeu

I'll bet its another "me too" action being made by Defiance and branded for Falkor. Quality will be excellent but probably nothing new as far as features. They can throw their Dracos barrel on it and give it their lifetime warranty.

I'll bet its another "me too" action being made by Defiance and branded for Falkor. Quality will be excellent but probably nothing new as far as features. They can throw their Dracos barrel on it and give it their lifetime warranty.

Doesn't look like anything Defiance produces.

Falkor has their own manufacturing capability, they've been in the manufacturing game for a long time. There's zero reason or advantage for them to source out manufacturing to another US based manufacturer.

Reactions: muzzletalk
I always enjoy seeing new products come out. I'll watch this one, but it's getting harder and harder to break into the precision rifle action market.

Unless they offer new features that shooters find desirable, or come in at an excellent price point, I think Falkor is going to find that it's going to be a tough grind to get market share, especially when we have the plethora of established brands we have today.

I'm all for more competition, but I hope they offer something more then just another ~$1200-1300 push feed R700 variant.

@kthomas
@Winny94

Possibility of me talking out my ass? VERY high. I'm not trying to shit talk on Falkor, it just feels like 5 years ago when everybody was bringing out their own "original" AR receivers. There are truly innovative actions out there - Defiance has been doing it for a very long time, ARC, Bighorn, KRG, Curtis, Cadex, etc (not to mention many others). The hype here tends to provoke a big "yawn" from me.

See the link to the new Defiance Ruckus, to my eye there are many similarities. If I am mistaken and this is a real "game changer" I'm happy to eat crow.

DFM_2019_Ruckus_right_9003-1024x453.jpg

@kthomas
@Winny94

Possibility of me talking out my ass? VERY high. I'm not trying to shit talk on Falkor, it just feels like 5 years ago when everybody was bringing out their own "original" AR receivers. There are truly innovative actions out there - Defiance has been doing it for a very long time, ARC, Bighorn, KRG, Curtis, Cadex, etc (not to mention many others). The hype here tends to provoke a big "yawn" from me.

See the link to the new Defiance Ruckus, to my eye there are many similarities. If I am mistaken and this is a real "game changer" I'm happy to eat crow.

View attachment 7286878

I never said it was going to be a game changer. Or any different from the other R700 variant push feed actions currently out there. That I don't know.

What I do know is that Defiance doesn't currently manufacture anything that exactly resembles the new Falkor action, from a machining standpoint.

It doesn't make any sense for Falkor to have Defiance machine these actions, when they have the means to produce it themselves. Defiance makes actions for other companies, as do other companies such as Mack Bros. Making actions for other companies happens, and has been for a while. I'm not arguing with you on that. But from what I see, this Falkor action does look new and produced in house.

But hey, let's ask Defiance themselves. @Defiance Machine, are you making this action for Falkor?

I never said it was going to be a game changer. Or any different from the other R700 variant push feed actions currently out there. That I don't know.

What I do know is that Defiance doesn't currently manufacture anything that exactly resembles the new Falkor action, from a machining standpoint.

It doesn't make any sense for Falkor to have Defiance machine these actions, when they have the means to produce it themselves. Defiance makes actions for other companies, as do other companies such as Mack Bros. Making actions for other companies happens, and has been for a while. I'm not arguing with you on that. But from what I see, this Falkor action does look new and produced in house.

But hey, let's ask Defiance themselves. @Defiance Machine, are you making this action for Falkor?

Not trying to put words in your mouth, just my off the cuff reaction to what feels like more of the same. Every manufacturer tries to hype their stuff and tell us what a game changer their product is, and even the very best rarely are.

I'm with with you on more competition being better for the consumer. Now if any of these guys would manufacture something to similar tolerance so I could use pre fits from AI, Curtis, ARC, or some of the other actions that would give me something. If I decided I didn't like my (insert brand here) action anymore and could take my barrel that shoots well but isn't worn out and throw it on their action and continue shooting....

What’s that little angle port on the receiver in front of the bolt On the Falcor?

I believe it’s a vent in case of an over pressure incident/case head separation/bore obstruction. Give the gas somewhere to go instead of pushing the bolt through your jaw (and yes, while extremely rare, this has actually happened).

While you are correct in the Defiance doesn't make the Falkor action, you'd be surprised what's out there that Defiance makes and you wouldn't necessarily recognize the work by just looking at it.

Eberlestock Action 2.jpg

Eberlestock Action.jpg

@kthomas
@Winny94

View attachment 7286878
Theres a canyon between spec'ing out a private label action and being a game changer - all we're saying is Defiance is absolutely not manufacturing the Falkor

Reactions: kthomas
Saw this pop up on instagram yesterday. I like that more and more action options are coming out, I think more competition is good for everyone. Would have been nice to see a little more information on the features and whatnot, especially because one of the posts said "feel free to ask questions" and a some of those questions were vaguely answered. Mostly I'm just curious if it is going to turn out that the only "neva been don befo" feature is the scope leveling notch.. I guess the answers will come in time. Looking at the action, I'd say its going to fall into the $1200-$1400 range, though they hinted at a offering pre-order that would blow us away.

What’s that little angle port on the receiver in front of the bolt On the Falcor?

If used by Navy SEALs it would obviously be used as a forward tube for deploying like really, really small torpedoes.

. . . . never before been seen on an action.....

./

Hey man,
I work for Falkor first off, so its clear to everyone, and just to answer your questions, we have wanted to expand into the bolt action space for a long time, the owners were both predominantly bolt gun shooters before starting Falkor, but we did not want to have too many irons in the fire per say, as you know some times companies spread themselves too thin, resulting in a decline in quality of products, or spotty testing. With our actions we started with quality metal, as every other good manufacture does, and we spent a lot of time on tolerances and testing for the most functionality and smoothest operation possible. We are offering different coating options on our bolts as some prefer DLC and others Nitrite, the rail is 20MOA and integrated, and the recoil lug is also integrated, we integrated a scope leveling system into our action as well. One of the biggest things that we did was changing the bolt stop from horizontal to vertical to make it much more sturdy as that was a huge complaint from shooters of horizontal styles failing. We are following a popular thread tenon so that our actions can accommodate pre fits. We contacted a lot of the top gunsmiths and PRS shooters in the country to get their input on the features of this action, a lot of manufactures have been making great actions for years, but they have not improved or changed them in the last decade, we catered to the end user in designing this product.

Hey man, although there are a lot of manufactures that have variances done, we are not one of them. I don't think that there is anything wrong with other companies doing it if they are not capable of producing a type of product, but we take pride in manufacturing our products in house. We even picked up a wire EDM just to be able to cut the best raceways possible in these actions, and not have to outsource a process. Yes there are a lot of actions on the market and some are better than others, we have put a lot of time into developing these to be one of those "better" companies. We consulted many shooters and gunsmiths alike to add the strengths they wanted, one of the biggest complaints we heard was big companies failing to listen to the needs of the end user. All the specs are on the website, but if you do have any questions, feel free to ask. Have a good one.

Hey man,
I work for Falkor first off, so its clear to everyone, and just to answer your questions, we have wanted to expand into the bolt action space for a long time, the owners were both predominantly bolt gun shooters before starting Falkor, but we did not want to have too many irons in the fire per say, as you know some times companies spread themselves too thin, resulting in a decline in quality of products, or spotty testing. With our actions we started with quality metal, as every other good manufacture does, and we spent a lot of time on tolerances and testing for the most functionality and smoothest operation possible. We are offering different coating options on our bolts as some prefer DLC and others Nitrite, the rail is 20MOA and integrated, and the recoil lug is also integrated, we integrated a scope leveling system into our action as well. One of the biggest things that we did was changing the bolt stop from horizontal to vertical to make it much more sturdy as that was a huge complaint from shooters of horizontal styles failing. We are following a popular thread tenon so that our actions can accommodate pre fits. We contacted a lot of the top gunsmiths and PRS shooters in the country to get their input on the features of this action, a lot of manufactures have been making great actions for years, but they have not improved or changed them in the last decade, we catered to the end user in designing this product.

Oh good, someone who can answer questions. So are shouldered prefits going to be available? Does it share headspace specs with another action (can I use prefits from an existing action)? Can the bolt be disassembled/serviced without the use of tools? I’ve never heard of modern custom action having rampant issues with the bolt stops failing, as you seem to insinuate. What makes this action better than an Impact, TL3, Terminus, Defiance, etc? I’m not trying to be an ass, but in my minds eye it seems like the only functionally better part about this action is the scope leveling feature.

Oh good, someone who can answer questions. So are shouldered prefits going to be available? Does it share headspace specs with another action (can I use prefits from an existing action)? Can the bolt be disassembled/serviced without the use of tools? I’ve never heard of modern custom action having rampant issues with the bolt stops failing, as you seem to insinuate. What makes this action better than an Impact, TL3, Terminus, Defiance, etc? I’m not trying to be an ass, but in my minds eye it seems like the only functionally better part about this action is the scope leveling feature.
Yes shouldered prefits will be available, it does share the same headspace as other actions, this action matches impact and loan peaks head spacing. So you can use prefits from those existing actions, the reason for doing it this way is to give customers more options, as well as us doing our part to help standardize tenon and head spacing in the custom action world. As for bolt release failures this is extremely common in the competition circuit, and we addressed the issue based on the amount of shooters and gunsmiths that said it was a failure point, as well as seeing it ourselves during the initial testing. "What makes it better?" this is a subjective answer, when you compare our action to the named above there are a lot of similarities across the board on all of these actions, fluted bolts, tight tolerances, good materials, American made. There are a few features that set us apart such as the bolt stop and self leveling system and matching popular tenon length. I can tell you that with Falkor you will have the same quality action with the same and more features for a lower price, shorter lead time, and customer service that answers the phone when you call. Hope this answers your questions sir.

Will there be 30 and or 45 MOA bases down the road? Two big draws to having bases that aren’t integral are:
Inclination options
An action that can be made much truer much more easily as it only needs to be turned, rather than 3D or 5 axis machined

Will there be 30 and or 45 MOA bases down the road? Two big draws to having bases that aren’t integral are:
Inclination options
An action that can be made much truer much more easily as it only needs to be turned, rather than 3D or 5 axis machined
Yes down the road we will be offering larger MOA in our rails. We are also currently working on bringing out the left handed short action, and long action is right behind those, over the next 6 month to a year we will be offering several additional configurations, and actions, as well as more chassis too.

Reactions: Tokay444
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Curtis actions use a vertical bolt stop. So my statement still stands.. vertical bolt stop does not mean inherently better than a horizontal stop.
The difference is that a horizontal is only supported by a small pin, and nothing else, when the pin gives out the bolt stop breaks often times with part of the pin stuck in the action, although it is possible to break the vertical stop, the way it is made, the bolt stop is actually supported by the material of the receiver body, and a horizontal pin so that its not just the support of a small vertical pin making it a much stronger design. Side note, but we actually made the bolt stop itself a few rockwell hardness points softer than the bolt, to avoid bolt damage after extended use.

Correct.
Instead of beating on a pin or screw you’re beaating on a softer piece of steel and slowly wearing it down which is what happened to mine.
I think a vertical is a better design as long as the contact point with the bolt is large enough it won’t be beaten down over time like the vector.
I agree!

Reactions: rydah
I had a chance to handle and shoot a Falkor action in one of their chassis a month ago at the Big Medicine PRS match. It was an incredibly smooth action. Nothing to complain about. Felt like a Defiance with a little more bolt body to action clearance.

The difference is that a horizontal is only supported by a small pin, and nothing else, when the pin gives out the bolt stop breaks often times with part of the pin stuck in the action, although it is possible to break the vertical stop, the way it is made, the bolt stop is actually supported by the material of the receiver body, and a horizontal pin so that its not just the support of a small vertical pin making it a much stronger design. Side note, but we actually made the bolt stop itself a few rockwell hardness points softer than the bolt, to avoid bolt damage after extended use.
How does your bolt stop compare to the American Rifle bolt stop? Its hard to imagine a bolt stop more robust than the ARC, but im totally open to have my mind changed.

Reactions: Chillertech
I just listened to the new PRM podcast about Falkor, and they talked heavily about this action. I have to say that I'm excited to see this get to the market, more excellent options are always good for the consumer.

I own a Falkor ar15, and the machining on it is top notch. I have no doubt that the quality of this action will be every bit as good as anything currently out there. Based on what I see with their machining, and their comments on the podcast, they definitely value tight tolerances where they count. I really like the fact that these actions will be able to use prefits for Impact and LP Fuzions, more standardization is great. The nit-picking on the bolt stop above is funny, as an overbuilt bolt stop is just one less thing to worry about. I don't see why that is a problem. However, I don't think bolt stops fail to the frequency on high end actions where it's really a problem, but hey, I won't complain about an overbuilt bolt stop.

Curious to hear what end users think as they become available on the market. One thing that is yet to be seen is how well they will perform in shitty conditions. There is a lot of well thought out features on this action, I would strongly consider this action if I was in the action market, as long as it performs as well as say an LP Fuzion or Impact for handling debris.

One question for Falkor/@jhutch3313, is the cocking 50/50, 100/0?

I just listened to the new PRM podcast about Falkor, and they talked heavily about this action. I have to say that I'm excited to see this get to the market, more excellent options are always good for the consumer.

I own a Falkor ar15, and the machining on it is top notch. I have no doubt that the quality of this action will be every bit as good as anything currently out there. Based on what I see with their machining, and their comments on the podcast, they definitely value tight tolerances where they count. I really like the fact that these actions will be able to use prefits for Impact and LP Fuzions, more standardization is great. The nit-picking on the bolt stop above is funny, as an overbuilt bolt stop is just one less thing to worry about. I don't see why that is a problem. However, I don't think bolt stops fail to the frequency on high end actions where it's really a problem, but hey, I won't complain about an overbuilt bolt stop.

Curious to hear what end users think as they become available on the market. One thing that is yet to be seen is how well they will perform in shitty conditions. There is a lot of well thought out features on this action, I would strongly consider this action if I was in the action market, as long as it performs as well as say an LP Fuzion or Impact for handling debris.

One question for Falkor/@jhutch3313, is the cocking 50/50, 100/0?
I don't know that I'd say there is nit-picking, so much as Falkor came out of the gate claiming a lot of innovation, and the market has been asking what those features are with not a lot of info for quite awhile now.