• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision New Armasight Units (Sidekick and Jockey 640s)

Would love to see a comparison of before the upgrade and after if that is available?
I think you could pull some of the videos that people first initially posted, then compare to some of the videos (yathermalboi on YouTube) that John put up shortly after. His settings were manually tweaked but supposedly that is where Armasight had targeted the tweaks.

I think you could pull some of the videos that people first initially posted, then compare to some of the videos (yathermalboi on YouTube) that John put up shortly after. His settings were manually tweaked but supposedly that is where Armasight had targeted the tweaks.
@SkyScrapin
NH's recommendation is solid. I hadn't had my caffeine yet when I posted that. I'll look for some post updated videos to see what the difference is.

I'm just getting a better feel for the unit before I order one.

Thanks guys

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Yeah but, JStokes (yathermalboi on Youtube) was not using a Sidekick that has a 2 point calibration nor the new updated software per my understanding when he made those videos. I might be wrong but pretty sure that was not an updated unit.

Stokes just knows how to work thermal adjustments pretty good to get a unit to perform its best per his great thermal acumen.

Yeah but, JStokes (yathermalboi on Youtube) was not using a Sidekick that has a 2 point calibration nor the new updated software per my understanding when he made those videos. I might be wrong but pretty sure that was not an updated unit.

Stokes just knows how to work thermal adjustments pretty good to get a unit to perform its best per his great thermal acumen.

You'd be correct.

I'm saving my pennies for the jockey, after someone does a review of course.
Just run down to the Border over into Mexico for a day and come right back and tell Buck Fidens lackeys you are seeking asylum from Timbuktu and they will give you north of $5,000 a month and you can use that as your Thermal Buying Spree money and stack all you want up.

Just run down to the Border over into Mexico for a day and come right back and tell Buck Fidens lackeys you are seeking asylum from Timbuktu and they will give you north of $5,000 a month and you can use that as your Thermal Buying Spree money and stack all you want up.
Dang, they get that much??

Reactions: Maddog51
As to questions about the sidekick upgrade process, we've sent out emails (last week) to all our customers who bought Sidekicks from us, so everyone has been notified about the process (who bought from us). If you bought from another dealer, they should notify you similarly.

Basically, you contact Armasight support, get an RMA and send your unit back for the upgrade, then they'll turn it around and send it back to you. This upgrade will improve the image and mitigate the "lag" ( or "jerkyness" ). This includes putting the latest version of the firmware on the units. Right now AFAIK we all have version 5052.
I purchased my 640 from SOK but didn't get a notification.

I still have the original box with the serial number on it, what are the chances I'm screwed here?
Well, being they are brand new units that are for sure under warranty and also Armasight is doing an upgrade I would say you will probably be ok. Just tell them what happened and all should be good I would think.

Reactions: No_Zero
My kid peeled the damn serial number sticker off my unit. I hope it doesn't become a problem sending it in for the upgrade.

This is a first for me.

I still have the original box with the serial number on it, what are the chances I'm screwed here?

0% chance.

ETA: I see the fellas replied no fewer than 12 hours before my response. Got to love the hide.

what's the verdict on the improvements?

They sent me a couple of units with the solution to lag before the roll out -- they fixed it. I can't tell a difference between it an SkeetIRx in that regard. All the units we sell have this update as well as the newest software.

The updated software improves image quality and out of the box settings. Another big improvement for immediate usability requiring fine adjustments if the end-user wants to make tweaks.

I'm sure their are other updates, but these are the two that end-users wanted fixed asap. ArmaSight listened.

TBD since I haven't checked - video recording at the updated frame rate. The display has higher resolution than the sensor offers and there for will show a lower quality image because of the fewer pixels.

Overall usability out of the box is much better. They're lining out some additional improvements as software updates come out. These will be end-user serviceable / upgradable.

So as I decipher that. We got a nice TURBO CHARGER and a SUPER CHARGER is coming down the road.

Skeet & Voodoo, hold my beer please, while I order another Sidekick. :)

Took the P51 a few revisions but she finally became: "The Cadillac of The Skies"

Last edited:
Reactions: ST42
So as I decipher that. We got a nice TURBO CHARGER and a SUPER CHARGER is coming down the road.

Skeet & Voodoo, hold my beer please, while I order another Sidekick. :)

Can't speak to the future, but I can tell you ArmaSight is very conscious of the end-user and is keeping a close eye on feedback. They're not sitting on their heals selling the same ole unit that's good enough, but rather constantly looking for improvement.

There's another something something we discussed in a future release that might be a first for a HMT or a commercial product for that matter. Idea is to give end-users more options based on their environment to improve performance.

JW my Snowflake sensitive side has been triggered. Might have to retreat to my safeplace.

Lets call it upgraded instead of repaired. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: hmjgriffon
Can't speak to the future, but I can tell you ArmaSight is very conscious of the end-user and is keeping a close eye on feedback. They're not sitting on their heals selling the same ole unit that's good enough, but rather constantly looking for improvement.
Armasight was a great solid and innovative company back in the day so to speak.

I have confidence that its rebirth post Flir DEE~~ Vorce with be be very successful, responsive and innovative.

JW my Snowflake sensitive side has been triggered. Might have to retreat to my safeplace.

Lets call it upgraded instead of repaired. :ROFLMAO:
lol I’ve held my tongue while waiting for the fixes… when I buy a “60fps” thermal and it’s clearly only showing me 38fps at the eyepiece when checked with high speed video… I get grumpy faced 😬

But the guys at Armasight have been pretty receptive to the long list of feedback items I sent over, thanks to the collaboration I received from SOK, so I had no reason to put them on blast while things were playing out.

Looking forward to seeing how the updates worked out tomorrow night.

That is some great technical analysis JW. You have the skill and equipment to vett this stuff out pretty good.

Mine seems to be running fairly decent with just a little lag (not bad) but a great image. I can only image how well it will do once they get the bugs fixed.

Thanks for the data point. That is interesting and looking forward to your analysis tomorrow night. (y)

Reactions: NHPiper
lol I’ve held my tongue while waiting for the fixes… when I buy a “60fps” thermal and it’s clearly only showing me 38fps at the eyepiece when checked with high speed video… I get grumpy faced 😬

But the guys at Armasight have been pretty receptive to the long list of feedback items I sent over, thanks to the collaboration I received from SOK, so I had no reason to put them on blast while things were playing out.

Looking forward to seeing how the updates worked out tomorrow night.
Luckily we have guys like you to point this stuff out because it's my first thermal and I have no idea how to tell what fps it's actually running at, ha.

Mine is supposed to be in here from SOK tomorrow! I waited until the updates were done to order one so I don't have a comparison to how it was before. My first thermal was an IR Patrol 300. Looking forward to comparing this against it. It's like 1/3 of the size.

I told my wife I was getting it and basically her first reaction was, great we can find studs in the wall much easier now lol.

Personally I'm looking forward to going and finding some porcupines in the backyard and disposing of them before the dog finds them.

Yep, I'd definitely say she is a keeper for sure. (y) You are blessed.
One day when I was at the office, about 6 months into us dating, I called her to see what she was up to. “I am out walking the dog with your PVS1531s.”

I about shit a brick. I mean she could have grabbed a PVS14. Nope, went for the good stuff. Knew she was a keeper.

Hopefully JW got his unit back today, has it on the dyno, and we will be getting some feedback from him if we lucky tonight.

One day when I was at the office, about 6 months into us dating, I called her to see what she was up to. “I am out walking the dog with your PVS1531s.”

I about shit a brick. I mean she could have grabbed a PVS14. Nope, went for the good stuff. Knew she was a keeper.
Yes, that is absolutely priceless. I doubt anybody else with NODS could say the same.

speaking of walking the dog, I'm looking for a good vis/IR beacon for my dog's collar.

Reactions: ST42
Just got back from shooting some 5 stand under NODs and unboxed the Sidekick. Not seeing a huge change in lag or frame rate - the comparisons to a SKEET seem a little off-base for my particular unit, at least in the area of display responsiveness. Will have to find some more live targets this weekend to see about the image quality updates after the two-point calibration.

When I film the eyepiece at 240fps, it's very consistently taking about 5.5 frames to change images, or somewhere in the 43-44fps range. Still doesn't feel like my 60fps units just yet. Gave it a good 10min to warm up too.
Showing FW # 5064 and the onboard video recordings are still 512x384 at 21fps, or about half the display fps I'm experiencing and half the horizontal resolution of the display.

Will keep playing with it in the coming days.

Last edited:
speaking of walking the dog, I'm looking for a good vis/IR beacon for my dog's collar.

Too funny, I just did the same. I slapped one of the vis beacons on Brodie this week. I like the vis so I can see him wander at night even if I don't have NODS on but to each their own. Cheap enough you can get both. I run it on blink.

When I film the eyepiece at 240fps, it's very consistently taking about 5.5 frames to change images, or somewhere in the 43-44fps range. Still doesn't feel like my 60fps units just yet. Gave it a good 10min to warm up too.
Showing FW # 5064 and the onboard video recordings are still 512x384 at 21fps, or about half the display fps I'm experiencing and half the horizontal resolution of the display.
Excellent work JW. (y)

Sounds like they have some more "tooning" to do. Hopefully in the next revision coming out in a few months per their latest information will remedy the fps issue.

the comparisons to a SKEET
Po mans SKEET.

That's a little different than a rich man's SKEET. :ROFLMAO:

But my reality is that 1 of anything is none and 2 is one. I like to have multiples of a device so cost to benefit ratio is huge for me.

The Sidekick (the one I have has not been updated yet) fills its role at an excellent price and appears to be a very durable built unit and performance is pretty good. When I slap a 3x Magnifier on it I am getting some really nice long range images. Get really good closer images without the magnifier also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog51