• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision New Armasight Units (Sidekick and Jockey 640s)

I'm kind of surprised to hear that, everything I do see online of the other contractor 640 units, the image doesn't look good to me. I don't know if its the way they've filmed it or what but detail seems very lacking for a 640 unit compared to its competitors

It’s the file format forcing image compression of the onboard video. The only way to get a sense of the true image quality is through the ocular.

If you add a raven bridge to your order, yes (most people are).

Reactions: stefan73
Thanks to the boys at SOK, I'll be doing a very detailed breakdown of the side kicks as both a bino and dual band configuration. I'll be comparing it to a voodoo s as my "control" for a perfect monocular.

I'm very excited for these, and represent the best unit coming out in this category since the Breach. I'm positive these will be the new standard for a lightweight 640 high FOV monocular.

There is a drop down on the product page to select which bridge you want.

Dual band or dual thermal.

They are $375 extra
Ordered with the Raven Bridge back in June. Just confirming the bridge will be shipped at the same time.

Looking forward to finally getting to run this gaer and adding this to my kit.

Ordered with the Raven Bridge back in June. Just confirming the bridge will be shipped at the same time.

Looking forward to finally getting to run this gaer and adding this to my kit.
Correct. Have had the bridges waiting for the Sidekicks. They will ship together.

Thank you for your business!

The 5.56 limit will definitely reduce the potential sales. The entire design concept of the Jockey seems so limited. It appears to be designed almost solely for ARs in 223/5.56 with an LPVO. And while there are plenty of those around, there are a lot of other potential users/rifles that don't fall into this category.

Reactions: mikefraz
Thanks to the boys at SOK, I'll be doing a very detailed breakdown of the side kicks as both a bino and dual band configuration. I'll be comparing it to a voodoo s as my "control" for a perfect monocular.

I'm very excited for these, and represent the best unit coming out in this category since the Breach. I'm positive these will be the new standard for a lightweight 640 high FOV monocular.
Can't wait!!!!!

Reactions: NHPiper
Our thoughts on sidekick vs N18 haven't changed since April, we're still waitin for the sidekicks to show up so we can compare em ! :D

Comparing UTC/x to Contractor 4.8 (I got to take the 4.8 outside for a whole night). My expectations were exceeded. So I'm hopeful. But with a given core, different lens sizes, seem to match up better or worst to the "sweet spot" of the core, so we can't really compare until we have them side by side.

And to really compare one thermal to another, is not a linear thing. Some are better in some circumstances and worse in others. And you really need to compare them side by side around the seasons at least in the latitudes I find myself.

The UTCs can be fantastic one night and then awful (requiring lots of nuks and/or turning up the gain) the next, as an example. Water in the air, messes with all thermals, but some more than others. And I want to look across the distances and across the magnifications. Not just what does it look like under ideal conditions, at low magnification at short distance. Almost all thermals look great in those circumstances.

Our thoughts on sidekick vs N18 haven't changed since April, we're still waitin for the sidekicks to show up so we can compare em ! :D

Comparing UTC/x to Contractor 4.8 (I got to take the 4.8 outside for a whole night). My expectations were exceeded. So I'm hopeful. But with a given core, different lens sizes, seem to match up better or worst to the "sweet spot" of the core, so we can't really compare until we have them side by side.

And to really compare one thermal to another, is not a linear thing. Some are better in some circumstances and worse in others. And you really need to compare them side by side around the seasons at least in the latitudes I find myself.

The UTCs can be fantastic one night and then awful (requiring lots of nuks and/or turning up the gain) the next, as an example. Water in the air, messes with all thermals, but some more than others. And I want to look across the distances and across the magnifications. Not just what does it look like under ideal conditions, at low magnification at short distance. Almost all thermals look great in those circumstances.
My big thing is if I can dual band or walk around with just a thermal on (if my head doesn't like dual band) just run it as a single.
I am also excited about the Jockey.

I cant wait to see the review. One of the 640s is on my short list if it is better then the breach and more modern than the SKEETs. The only bonus would be an IR laser on them to designate critters, but that can be done with other tools.

Get that review out! Hahaha

Lookin at the 640 Sidekick screenshots and videos posted on ar15.com by Will at TNVC, I was less than impressed with the thermal screen image compared to something like the RH25. Looked like a slightly upgraded Breach to me. Hopefully it was just that the images were super compressed, and the actual image is better. With that being said, the price point is lower than the competition, so not sure what to expect.

The images looked super compressed and taken out of focus with an older phone. I would imagine they are 100x better in person.
I hope you’re correct. I’ve got high hopes for the Jockey, and when saw above that the Contractor had an image similar to the UTCx and then seeing the images posted on the other forum for the Sidekick just seemed worlds apart.

Well I was wondering if this day was ever gonna come, but it FINALLY did ...

:love:

53380518931_b180074276_h.jpg

"it happened"

Open the big boxes, remove the little boxes, put them in other little boxes and ship.
Two big boxes worth, more to come next week !

... SOK. Have you all been able to take a look through the sidekicks yet? We need a sitrep ...

Negatif, all the units we received today had been sold (paid for) before we received them, so we shipped them straight out. We wouldn't open your unit and we wouldn't delay you receiving your unit - if you had paid for it. We would ship it immediately! We treat every body like that !

We are supposed to receive another shipment next week. That one is currently not sold out yet. If any unsold units remain when we receive that shipment, we will peal one off and test it.

Negatif, all the units we received today had been sold (paid for) before we received them, so we shipped them straight out. We wouldn't open your unit and we wouldn't delay you receiving your unit - if you had paid for it. We would ship it immediately! We treat every body like that !

We are supposed to receive another shipment next week. That one is currently not sold out yet. If any unsold units remain when we receive that shipment, we will peal one off and test it.
Roger that. Thought maybe that you all had ordered one for testing. I am definitely waiting to read your report on these. A dual setup for scanning would be awesome.

What we ordered was count(x), what we received was count (_y), what people prepaid for was count (z). And with all the variables, it wound up that ...

count(_y) < count(z) < count(x) i.e. received < paid_for < ordered

We are supposed to get weekly shipments until received_count = ordered_count.

We've already placed a second order, but again, it might arrive in several shipments as well.

Last edited:
What we ordered was count(x), what we received was count (_y), what people prepaid for was count (z). And with all the variables, it wound up that ...

We've already placed a second order, but again, it might arrive in several shipments as well.
100% respect that you guys shipped all those orders out immediately. You guys rock. Really looking forward to seeing the performance as people start getting these. I have one on my short list.

I’m hoping that these rock! Dual HMT at a fraction of the costs for a pair of Skeeter’s would be phenomenal

How would you answer this question? "The sidekick is a direct competitor to (fill in the blank)?

How would you answer this question? "The sidekick is a direct competitor to (fill in the blank)?
The nox 18/skeet X/MTM Pi based on the FOV. No other thermal monocular besides those above have that wide of FOV in a small package with a 640 core and 1x optical magnification to my knowledge.

The one to one direct competitor would be a Nox 18 because both have a 24.16⁰ horizontal FOV.

Not yet, I'll have one on Monday from a buddy and two from SOK to test. Sounds like there are a lot of image optimization features to play with from those reporting on the units from the first shipment. I'll have a detailed video break down a couple of days after I get it and use it in different configs/environments. The voodoo s will be my "control" sample for an ideal image and smooth panning. I'll be honest about my thoughts and post them here as I use/learn it.

You have yours in hand yet?
Negative, it arrives next week. Didn't realize next day shipping was not selected when ordering.
The nox 18/skeet X/MTM Pi based on the FOV. No other thermal monocular besides those above have that wide of FOV in a small package with a 640 core and 1x optical magnification to my knowledge.

The one to one direct competitor would be a Nox 18 because both have a 24.16⁰ horizontal FOV.
Understood, the FOV presents a product with potential to be great for scanning and a HMT. Just curious as to whether the image clarity is similar to the Skeet or Voodoo.

Reactions: mikefraz
Really excited that we can collimate to run easier with a bridge 14. That feature is present on a COTI and makes a big different. An outline mode or patrol mode would be awesome here.

Really excited that we can collimate to run easier with a bridge 14. That feature is present on a COTI and makes a big different. An outline mode or patrol mode would be awesome here.
The right bridge would be crucial in making this work. Both the Raven Bridge and Noise Fighter Pano Bridge are the only ones currently identified to work with a pvs14 and Sidekick.

Hope either works toward creating atlaest a partially acceptable overlay.

Here’s another few at the wide end of the chart - I just got the AGM StingIr from a buddy and it’s a bit narrower, but also supports clipon use. Looking forward to taking a closer look.
IMG_6851.jpeg

The right bridge would be crucial in making this work. Both the Raven Bridge and Noise Fighter Pano Bridge are the only ones currently identified to work with a pvs14 and Sidekick.

Hope either works toward creating atlaest a partially acceptable overlay.
It looks like the Sidekick uses a mini-rail attachment. When you get yours in hand, check how the rail is attached to the housing and whether it can be removed.
I don't think I can get the Sidekick in Europe, but maybe I can work with someone in the US to make a dovetail adapter for it.

I have been wondering about the mounting system too. It is hard to tell from limited pics, but I’m hoping it is like the MUM-14 and the Breach. I have a KVC Bridge that would work perfectly if compatible.

I calculate the 640 Sidekick as 1 pixel sampling 5.54 Square Inches at 100 yards. I do it a slightly different method.

The Jockey 640 will be 1 pixel sampling 3.00 Square Inches at 100 yards. So quite a bit stronger with longer Detection, Recognition and Identification distances.

Both with excellent FOV for their purposes.

This image quality though.....I don't know

Looks like he used the internal recording feature which is super compressed according to armasight. I have one coming in today and two more later this week. I'll take some pictures through it immediately.

The weather in my area is crap and tomorrow its going to be great thermal conditions, so ya'll will be able to see both.

Last edited: