• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New barrel for my old .308......6.5 Cr or 6 Cr ? Which would you suggest?

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
Sending out my receiver to be rebarreled....i just can't tolerate the .308 with my spine.
As such I need a choose the best caliber that would satisfy the following criteria:

readily available commercially
good for up to 1300 yards so i can take some long range classes
shooting only steel or paper (not planning to hunt)
easy to reload for
2000 + round barrel life with standard commercially available ammunition

thank you

The 6mm cm has a little better ballistics but not much. The 6.5 cm will last much longer. If I had to choose I’d get the 6.5 cm. If you have a Remington action or clone buy Remage style prefits and get both with the money you save by not using a Smith. That’s what I did anyway. There’s a good guy here on the hide that has great prices on remage prefits. His screen name is redeye and I got a remage barrel in 6.5cm and barrel nut from him for $260. I got my 6mm cm from northern shooters supply for about $450 with cerakoting. I can swap them in just a few minutes too. Just something to consider especially if you shoot much. Those gunsmith fees can add up fast.

thank you both...appreciate the information and recommendations. It's an older Tikka that they don't make anymore, a M595.
Great to know about the more reasonably priced barrels available for the Remington format. Never realized how expensive nice barrels were.

I have both a 6.5 cm and 6 cm in bolt rifles. I vote for 6.5 cm for slightly better barrel life. It was a bit easier to develop a hand load for compared to the 6 cm.

260 rem is what I use and I like it quite a but
698B313A-90AD-4D30-94C6-C143E5789DBB.jpeg

thanks everyone.....rifle was shipped out to be rebarreled in 6.5 Cr.

I checked with our local shop as well..... they don't anticipate carrying the 6 or the 260 or if so only rarely or by special order...I just didn't want to take the chance though it was very tempting.

fingers crossed with these lighter recoiling rounds i'll be able to participate in this sport for another few years.

Reactions: jcmullis2