• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build which 6mm?

They all meet someones numbers. The question is which dies match those reamers.
I got Tubb's sizing die. I didn't intend to re-barrel the rifle until after a December match. It will be a caliber change and I have no other 6xc barreled rifles. It will be after then that I find out whether I have any problems.

The XC and Creedmoor are more similar than just about any of the 6mms. Loads are within a grain of each other. The only difference is brass availability and the multiple versions of XC reamers out there causing die incompatibility problems.
I’ve noticed better barrel life with my xc’s. Brass availability is good straight from David Tubb, and affordable. I stick with Tubbs reamer specs and have great luck.

I think my mind is finally made up... the rainbow tiger it is. After a lot of reading I think it will fit me well and has basically everything I’m looking for. Now I just need to figure out what action and barrel I want to run.

Why do you hate 6 creed and 6br? and since you have had a variety of them which ones do you like?
I shot 243ai in AU-PRS matches for a long time. Loved the longer cartridge for feeding and ease of (re)loading and data. I can make the same velo as any other 6mm with less pressure. Thus, my last barrel in 243ai went 2992 rounds before I pulled it.

6br don't feed for shit. People who profess they do, ask them if they have special mags or have modded mags to make them work. Yes they are accurate, yes they are stupid easy to find a good load, but to get solid velo you have to push them hard. They also require a small firing pin because of primers, and not all actions have it, so you need your 'smith to sleeve the pin.

For those who say "get a 6bra / dasher" well that's all good and fine, but you still have mag issues.

6xc is REALLY impressive. If anyone wants to debate 6xc-1 VS 6xc-2, ignore them. The standard is 6xc-2, or just called 6xc. The xc-1 was Dave Tubbs prototype which a few people got a hold of reamer specs and pre-jumped the train. Every reamer, dies, brass or whatever you buy now is 6xc-2.

They are (basically) 22-250 necked up, and fired. Really solid. Feeds good, great body preportions, shoots insanely well, great barrel life, there's a few brass offerings, or just buy 22-250 and run it thru your FL sizing die.

6SLR is great if that's your thing.

6cm is ..... Boringly reliable. They work, they are accurate, they feed, they tick all the boxes (barrel life, velo, reamer prints all over the place for custom throat depths, etc). They just don't excited me. I've built too many to be interested now.

Currently I shoot a 6x47. I'm seriously looking at 6xc as the last few I built for customers were crazy accurate.

That or a 6brx purely to piss people off so I can steal their range brass and resize / shoot it, but they can't shoot / chamber mine.

I thought the 6xc issues were in the past too. I don’t now. I also don’t shoot one anymore. Creed does the same thing without any risk of confusion.

Reactions: generalzip
I shot 243ai in AU-PRS matches for a long time. Loved the longer cartridge for feeding and ease of (re)loading and data. I can make the same velo as any other 6mm with less pressure. Thus, my last barrel in 243ai went 2992 rounds before I pulled it.

6br don't feed for shit. People who profess they do, ask them if they have special mags or have modded mags to make them work. Yes they are accurate, yes they are stupid easy to find a good load, but to get solid velo you have to push them hard. They also require a small firing pin because of primers, and not all actions have it, so you need your 'smith to sleeve the pin.

For those who say "get a 6bra / dasher" well that's all good and fine, but you still have mag issues.

6xc is REALLY impressive. If anyone wants to debate 6xc-1 VS 6xc-2, ignore them. The standard is 6xc-2, or just called 6xc. The xc-1 was Dave Tubbs prototype which a few people got a hold of reamer specs and pre-jumped the train. Every reamer, dies, brass or whatever you buy now is 6xc-2.

They are (basically) 22-250 necked up, and fired. Really solid. Feeds good, great body preportions, shoots insanely well, great barrel life, there's a few brass offerings, or just buy 22-250 and run it thru your FL sizing die.

6SLR is great if that's your thing.

6cm is ..... Boringly reliable. They work, they are accurate, they feed, they tick all the boxes (barrel life, velo, reamer prints all over the place for custom throat depths, etc). They just don't excited me. I've built too many to be interested now.

Currently I shoot a 6x47. I'm seriously looking at 6xc as the last few I built for customers were crazy accurate.

That or a 6brx purely to piss people off so I can steal their range brass and resize / shoot it, but they can't shoot / chamber mine.

In my experience, BR based cartridges aren't difficult to get feeding properly given the right mags and/or mag kits.

Yes, you shouldn't expect success with a regular stock AICS mag. But the kits work reliably (I use Primal Right kits), as do the MDT 6BR mags.

I've also found in my very limited testing that the ARC mags work for feeding 6BRA - out of both control round feed and push feed actions with no modifications. Came as a surprise to me, as they don't work at all in my rifles with 6.5 Creedmoor or .308, but seemingly run 6BRA without issues.

In my experience, BR based cartridges aren't difficult to get feeding properly given the right mags and/or mag kits.

Yes, you shouldn't expect success with a regular stock AICS mag. But the kits work reliably (I use Primal Right kits), as do the MDT 6BR mags.

I've also found in my very limited testing that the ARC mags work for feeding 6BRA - out of both control round feed and push feed actions with no modifications. Came as a surprise to me, as they don't work at all in my rifles with 6.5 Creedmoor or .308, but seemingly run 6BRA without issues.
You made my point when I said you needed to run special mags or kits. As for the CRF on ARC mags. Interesting. I've never tried a comparison on push vs control round feed on BR. It does make a bit of sense on how the rim releases from the mag feed lips, and ARC were designed for the mausingfield which is CRF. Hmmmm

All the Dasher shooters tries the ARC mags when they came out three or four years ago. They are the classis mag that works well on the bench or in your living room but once they get sandy or dusty the BR based cartridges start to nose dive in them. I think it has to do with the taper in the mag body and the way the cases have to transition from double stack to single feed and rub on the magazine wall. The ultimate BR/ Dasher mag still remains the AICS mag with Primal Rights kits, with or without the Core +2 BR bumper pad.
Personally had more luck with MDT Br mags over the aftermarket “kits” fwiw

You made my point when I said you needed to run special mags or kits. As for the CRF on ARC mags. Interesting. I've never tried a comparison on push vs control round feed on BR. It does make a bit of sense on how the rim releases from the mag feed lips, and ARC were designed for the mausingfield which is CRF. Hmmmm

If dedicated mags or mag kits are a deal breaker, then BR cartridges are a no go. Personally I don't think it's a big deal, it's easy to put in a mag kit and they have been 100% reliable for me.

I haven't played with the ARC mags too much, but the little I have, they do work with 6BRA. I bought them when they first came out to use in my 6.5 Creedmoor, but couldn't even get them to work in the living room, so they've been collecting dust until very recently.

I've taken them to the range a few times lately to try out with 6BRA, both with a Mausingfield and LP Fuzion, and they've been surprisingly flawless so far. However, ARC mags have a reputation for failing when they get dirty, and I can't say I've used them in conditions yet which would test that.

ARC was supposed to update their followers to remedy the reliability issues, but I don't believe they ever did. LRI has made aftermarket followers, but even they aren't 100% reliable. I know one of my friends had extensive issues with their ARC+LRI mags at the 2018 Quiet Riot, which was an extremely dusty and windy match.

Long story short: I'm cautiously optimistic about the ARC mags, but very hesitant to suggest that they will work in adverse conditions.

6BR is nearly unbeatable for ease and accuracy out to at least 600 yds and will easily reach 1200. Dasher or 6 BRA are just as good/maybe better but a little more complicated. 6CM can be bought at any sporting goods store if you don’t want to reload. .243 is an excellent choice but factory offerings aren’t as “precision” focused…more hunting. And it will burn up barrels faster.

Theres really very little argument against 6BR, in my opinion. Best barrel life of the bunch, dumbass easy to reload, super accurate, good powder choices (although powder is the hardest component to find right now) and it uses the least amount of powder so more loads per pound. After that, my order of preference would go 6BRA, 6CM, 6Dasher, 6x47, .243Win. With 6CM and dasher being interchangeable at the number two spot depending on your passion for factory ammo.

This

I shot 243 for most of my adult life, not a bad round. Had 3 of them.
Tried 6mmRem which was a good varmint round as well.
Went to 6x47L which is a fantastic round! Got many wins back in the day. Only problem was barrel wear anxiety which made me not want to practice as much. I found 1700 rounds was average by the time the barrels lost it. It was enough that I....

Settled on 6mmBR. It truly is the easy button for a bunch of reasons, one of which is long lasting Lapua brass but the other is low ES. One time I got 1.5" vertical for 9 shots at 1000Y which is a fond memory as well as out shooting the guys with the big guns that day even though it was kinda windy.
I hadn't shot mine in 3 months until yesterday but it was the same old boring deal. I love this cartridge!

If it's REAL windy I get out the 6.5 Saum instead.

I have built rifles in 6mmBR
I have built rifles in 243 win
I have built rifles in 6mmRem

For the best groups I would got 14" twist in 6mmBR with 65 gr Vmax
For big game hunting I would go 8" twist in 6mmBR with 95 gr Nos bal tip

Attachments

• buck antelope 6mmBR Rem700 2016.jpg
    buck antelope 6mmBR Rem700 2016.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 6mmBr100Yards0.3inchesSav99Vmax65gr33.5grW748@3150fpstiny.jpg
    [email protected]
    37.8 KB · Views: 62
6GT is just easymode. No mag issues, Can run H4350 or Varget, No fireforming, recoil reduction compared to Creed and every load I have whipped up has shot sub 1/2 MOA, with most in the .3-.4's. Using a Bartlien MTU chambered to Stutesville, off the shelf prefit. With Berger 109s they are very jump tollerent and dont really care where you seat them. By far the easiest round I have ever loaded for. Just pick a velocity and go shoot.

I back loads down to 2950 to preserve barrel life and help with trace. 36.7 grains H4350 over 109 Hybrids with Alpha Brass.

Took my 6BR to the range yesterday and shot a 0.376" (0.164 MOA) group @ 200M (219 yards).

This is zero load development beyond trying 3 different powder charges (still haven't played with seating depth / neck tension etc).

105 hybrids @ 0.075" jump / 30.4gr Varget / 0.002" neck tension set on new Lapua brass with a mandrel / CCI450. This load runs at 2850 or maybe a hair slower depending on conditions so I'm expecting good barrel life.

I haven't seen anything I dont like about this caliber

I think my mind is finally made up... the rainbow tiger it is. After a lot of reading I think it will fit me well and has basically everything I’m looking for. Now I just need to figure out what action and barrel I want to run.

For a action/barrel recommendation, I'd say take a hard look at an Origin (and not just for the money either), with either a Proof prefit (about as good or better than anything else, better than most at less than $500) or you can spin on anything that uses Savage threads.

IMHO 6GT is a solid choice. It is certainly looking in theory like the new standard PRS/NRL 6mm cartridge, especially with Hornady doing factory ammo for GAP and all... but it is unquestionably the new defacto cool kid on the scene.

That said, 6GT reminds me of .40S&W in that it's sort of an answer looking for a problem...

IMHO it's popularity has way more to do with it being "new" more so than anything else really. If you want something that uses less powder there's already 6BR/A/X and Dasher. If you're not into mag kits and/or fond of the 35deg shoulder, 6x47 has been around for a minute now (and is literally the same charge grain for grain, according to Hodgdon, with a 105 using Varget and/or H4350).

...JMHO here, but I sort of think Mr. Gardner knows our crowd pretty well... and maybe knows there are a bunch of fickle rifle guys who like to buy stuff, especially new stuff, who maybe wished they could dump their stale-ass-uncool Creedmoor's (even though a young girl is whipping most of the field with one) for a sexy wildcat like the cool kids run (but without any of that PIA/caveman/scary fire-forming crap)...

Last edited:
I have proof prefits and I have bartlien prefits from top smiths. The Bartliens ALL shoot better than the proofs. Proof barrels really are not that great and you get what you pay for. Trying to save $200 on a barrel or $300 on an action when there are real benefits is not a wise decision IMO. By the time its all said and done these are rounding errors in total cost of this hobby.

6GT is not a fad for a few good reasons:
-As easy to load for as BR/A/Dasher. Pick a velocity and go. I dont mess with tuning loads or seating depth. Jump a berger .02-.05 and send it. Everything I have tested so far as been sub 1/2", with my current load running between .2 and .3's.
-Can use Varget or H4350, which in these times is very valuable depending on what you can source.
-Higher velocity to take advantage of Berger 109s with better and more consistent BC
-Better barrel life than the 6 creed assuming you don't push it super hard but a little less and the BR/Dasher.
-Any mag will run. No dicking with mag kits or tuning mags. Take mag out of wrapper, stick in gun shoot match. Its that easy.
-No fireforming. Granted you can now get 6 dasher brass and Peterson 6x27 Lapua, but this wasn't always the case.
- Both Hornady and Alpha brass available, with factory ammo from Prime and Hornady coming.
-Don't deal with mag length issues you have with creedmoors if you are running a long throat. Can run the shorter cartridges as long as you want and they still fit in a mag.

Its a great round that just does everything easy and well. For someone not already invested into the other legacy calibers, its kind of a no brainer if you are getting started into PRS/NRL. Type shooting.

I went .308>.260>6.5CM>6Dasher>6GT and don't see myself switching anytime soon.

Reactions: BuLLet
People on Snipers Hide on barrels: "I can't live with Proof accuracy. I must have Bartlein accuracy."

The same people on Snipers Hide regarding load development: "I'm not trying to waste components doing tons of load development for 2 moa targets in a barricade shooting match. 1/2 moa is plenty good enough"

I feel like us shooters, and I include myself in this, are almost dogmatic and religious about our barrels.

Sometimes I catch myself thinking that a Krieger is the only way to go for my next 6BRA barrel, to replace the current Krieger when it dies. As if a Bartlein, Brux, Rock Creek, etc. can't fill the same shoes.

It's pretty silly, when you take the time to look at it pragmatically.

Reactions: Jas1984$
For a action/barrel recommendation, I'd say take a hard look at an Origin (and not just for the money either), with either a Proof prefit (about as good or better than anything else, better than most at less than $500) or you can spin on anything that uses Savage threads.

IMHO 6GT is a solid choice. It is certainly looking in theory like the new standard PRS/NRL 6mm cartridge, especially with Hornady doing factory ammo for GAP and all... but it is unquestionably the new defacto cool kid on the scene.

That said, 6GT reminds me of .40S&W in that it's sort of an answer looking for a problem...

IMHO it's popularity has way more to do with it being "new" more so than anything else really. If you want something that uses less powder there's already 6BR/A/X and Dasher. If you're not into mag kits and/or fond of the 35deg shoulder, 6x47 has been around for a minute now (and is literally the same charge grain for grain, according to Hodgdon, with a 105 using Varget and/or H4350).

...JMHO here, but I sort of think Mr. Gardner knows our crowd pretty well... and maybe knows there are a bunch of fickle rifle guys who like to buy stuff, especially new stuff, who maybe wished they could dump their stale-ass-uncool Creedmoor's (even though a young girl is whipping most of the field with one) for a sexy wildcat like the cool kids run (but without any of that PIA/caveman/scary fire-forming crap)...

Thank you for the info! I’m actually eyeing a TL3 or a Defiance action I think, I use proof barrels on 2 of my other rifle and I’m definitely a fan of there barrels. This build probably won’t start till after the first of the year, just trying to get a price list on everything as of right now.

Reactions: CK1.0 and kthomas
The 243 win. great choice. my 243 is a tac driver. I will tell you this, drop the velocity to save the barrel. I was shooting a 107gr. at 3060, a friend & amazing long the range shooter told me to drop the velocity, cut it to 2914. Still shot great & I had over 2200 rounds in before I replaced it. (Barrel still shot good, but would throw one some times, so I replaced it). Now I'm shooting a berger 109 at 2880, super accurate. Good Luck, I like the 6mm Creedmoor also.

Reactions: reubenski