• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report New Bullet Data Page: 230 grain Hybrid

BryanLitz

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
As stated in the subject line, the data page for the Berger 230 grain Target Hybrid is up:

wp0a637c83.png

This bullet is fairly new and didn't make it into the second edition of my book. Here's a link to this specific bullet page:
http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/berger230tgt.html

And to the list of other bullets with data pages available:
http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/Bullets.html

-Bryan

Re: New Bullet Data Page: 230 grain Hybrid

Hello Mr. Litz. I am curious about this bullet for short range purposes. what stability factor can I expect from a 1/10 twist barrel. To me it seems like it achieves around 1.4 at "normal weather". Is this assumption correct or have I done something wrong in my calculations?

Kind regards!

/Scratch

These are great additional data pgs Bryan. I enjoyed reading your comments a lot. You should add those comments to the bullets in the book (just kidding, I understand that would be a lot of work). Thanks for all your efforts on behalf of the long-range shooting community!

scratch,

This much bullet isn't really necessary for most short range applications. Under 600 yards I would choose a different bullet to get the job done without beating yourself up with recoil. This 230 grain beauty really shines for 1000+ yard shooting.

Having said that, there's no reason you <span style="font-style: italic">couldn't</span> shoot it at short range. You can see a stability map for several environmental conditions and barrel twists at the bottom of the bullet data page:
http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/berger230tgt.html

Take care,
-Bryan

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bryan</span>

Sorry now I feel kinda stupid, I didnt see the twist data when I looked through the page even though it was just in front of my eyes, gotta invest in som glasses it seems
blush.gif

Looks like a badass bullet I must say
smile.gif

Kind regards!
/scratch

Might make a great subsonic bullet for the 300 Blackout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mooner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might make a great subsonic bullet for the 300 Blackout. </div></div>

You'd hafta spin the piss out of it. I've heard of some people trying it in the blackout and getting suppressor strikes and poor accuracy due to high initial yaw rates, and I think those were 1:8" barrels. This bullet was definitely not designed for subsonic.

I am working on a subsonic design for .30 cal. It will probably end up ~200-220 grains with a flat base and short nose.

-Bryan

Thanks for the update sir! Now any word on those 284 195s we are hearing about... <insert evil laugh here>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the update sir! Now any word on those 284 195s we are hearing about... <insert evil laugh here></div></div>

They're in the works, I think the production schedule has them coming out this summer. However, I will say that due to the length of these bullets, I wouldn't be surprised if some manufacturing challenges arise, especially with the jacket drawing.

-Bryan

I can't wait to test the new 230's. I've been real happy with the OTM's in my 300 NM Imp so far. They are beating my ballistics calculator by a far margin out to 2400 yards.

Hey Brian,

I've got great news!

I tried the stepped BC's for the 230 hybrids last weekend in my 30-375R in conjunction with your Shooter program on my droid. I was in a hurry and was only able to fire 8 shots, 3 at 1185Y with a hit on the last shot and 5 at 2165Y with the last 2 being hits. The dope was seriously absolutely perfect! This is the first time my dope has lined up perfectly at ELR distances with no additional turret adjustment
grin.gif

Bryan, Is there similar data anywhere for the 230 otm tactical? Did it make it in the second edition? Also is the 185 juggernaut the same as the lrbt?