• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear New Caldwell Radar Chronograph "VelociRadar" (LabRadar competitor?)

No idea. Probably more to do with global supply chain issues, or potentially it was a leaked prototype which wont see the light of day because of other issues. Maybe patent, maybe electronic (emits radiation and makes your eye bleed) or maybe they are working to repackage and it looks nothing like the pics.

Product development cycle for smaller companies is 18-24 months. Bigger companies can stretch 3 years. Blame bean counters for that (insurance, public liability, return on investment, product life, etc).

Mitsubishi cars were in Australia for years. They were profitable. They went to the south aus government and said "pay us 10million or we will leave".
They were investing 80mil a year and turning over 120mil. They budgeted on 140mil. So said we want a hand out or we leave. Govt said go pound sand.

They left, took that 80mil and invested it in consumer electronics (tv apparently) and makes 150mil a year. So it was a smart business move.

This is how companies are run. Instead of making a really good product, its only about profits, not the end user.

I could see them not bringing out a new product if they can't deliver on it. Polymer beads/pellets have turned into a huge issue through all this. It makes me wonder what's happening with labradar as well...

I could see them not bringing out a new product if they can't deliver on it. Polymer beads/pellets have turned into a huge issue through all this. It makes me wonder what's happening with labradar as well...
Labrador seems to be out of stock just about everywhere so you can guess production is not going quite as planned.

I wrote Caldwell and here's what I received:

"Thank you for reaching out. That is something we have in the works. Unfortunately, we do not have a time frame as of yet, but I'd say we should have some more information this summer coming out.

Obviously, they're not going to tell some Joe-Shmoe writing them out of the blue anything but it doesn't sound like it's very close. Companies must be having fits trying to bring new products to market.

I wrote Caldwell and here's what I received:

"Thank you for reaching out. That is something we have in the works. Unfortunately, we do not have a time frame as of yet, but I'd say we should have some more information this summer coming out.

Obviously, they're not going to tell some Joe-Shmoe writing them out of the blue anything but it doesn't sound like it's very close. Companies must be having fits trying to bring new products to market.
Well, now that I bought a Magnetospeed, Caldwell will release it tomorrow.

m

So much so that Labradar is now making a non blue tooth version
Bluetooth is pretty useless on the Labradar until they improve the App and fix a couple of debilitating bugs. It works OK to arm and disarm ... but that's about all the App is good for ... IMHO. At least until they fix it. I pull all my data directly from the SDcard.

I just want a cheaper lab radar without the lcd or Bluetooth or anything fancy. Just give me a USB cable or 3.5mm input to connect to a phone or laptop and save me 300$

I just want a cheaper lab radar without the lcd or Bluetooth or anything fancy. Just give me a USB cable or 3.5mm input to connect to a phone or laptop and save me 300$
Doubtful that removing those features will save that much. Do you have any indicators yet regarding the street price of the Caldwell solution? If they price it to the market, it'll probably only be $75-$100 less than the Labradar. That's my guess.

Doubtful that removing those features will save that much. Do you have any indicators yet regarding the street price of the Caldwell solution? If they price it to the market, it'll probably only be $75-$100 less than the Labradar. That's my guess.
No idea. But I would like a stripped version even if the saving are little.

No idea about the Caldwell unit but unless it’s significantly cheaper than the Labrador I’d stay with the proven system.

No idea. But I would like a stripped version even if the saving are little.

No idea about the Caldwell unit but unless it’s significantly cheaper than the Labrador I’d stay with the proven system.
Agreed. I love my Labradar ... I just hate the phone App.

Labradar is due for an upgrade,

I like the concept, but my unit has been broken 3x now and never gets used anymore.

They need to upgrade that system in several ways
My original MS3 is still absolutely going strong (it's probably 6-7 years old) and they fixed my display unit which broke couple of years ago (for free) but not gonna lie, when doing load dev with hunter/sporter barrel, it's nice that you can work up a ladder with the Labradar and not have to worry about poi/group size difference when attaching the bayo.

Yes I'm aware that there are attachment solutions to fix that issue but they're expensive to the point that you're almost in lab radar territory when all said and done.

But yeah Labradar is due for a newer gen unit. No doubt.

No,

Mine has been back for repair twice, it needs to go back again it's a garbage design.

There is no amount of lipstick to make this pig pretty, you can get numbers from drop too

Indeed the blue tooth feature might cost 20$ in chinesium at best but it's about having parts at all

I think I will wait for the Andi Scan and see what turns out like. I have a Lab Radar that I am getting ready to post for sale for a friend that passed in Jan. Until the Andi comes out I will stay with the magneto speed.

Reactions: M77
My original MS3 is still absolutely going strong (it's probably 6-7 years old) and they fixed my display unit which broke couple of years ago (for free) but not gonna lie, when doing load dev with hunter/sporter barrel, it's nice that you can work up a ladder with the Labradar and not have to worry about poi/group size difference when attaching the bayo.

Yes I'm aware that there are attachment solutions to fix that issue but they're expensive to the point that you're almost in lab radar territory when all said and done.

But yeah Labradar is due for a newer gen unit. No doubt.
I paid for the grey ops mount and even though it basically comes out the same price as a lab radar I would rather use the ms3 + mount.

Honestly, they're all kinda cheaply made for what you pay. Sounds like competition is at least coming so just maybe we'll see a push for quality and innovation.

With that said I see it as more of a reloading tool vs a shooting tool. Quick load development is a huge money saver.

My 2nd magnetospeed is going back.

I'm happy to see other manufacturers come on to the scene. LabRadar will never get any better, never release updates or new versions without competition pushing them.

Reactions: category_theory
Like Tesla , missing some chips don't worry we got you :ROFLMAO:

Labradar Lite MSRP 559.95$ so its like 40$ less than Labradar standard

''As most of you are aware, there is a global computer chip shortage that has affected virtually every manufacturer of electronics. While we have been able to maintain a certain level of production, Labradar has also been affected by this shortage.
In an effort to continue to support the shooting sports with the best possible equipment, we will be introducing a new version of Labradar. The new model, Labradar Lite, will become available from dealers starting in mid-May.
The Labradar Lite will be the same device as the current model and will offer the same performance, except it will not have Bluetooth compatibility to communicate with the mobile App. Labradar Lite will not be adaptable to Bluetooth in the future.
All the other features will be present and you can count on your Labradar Lite to precisely measure the velocity of your projectile over the same range.''

280122896_1922696084589385_4301930923370386882_n.jpg

Last edited:
someone forgot to edit that out haha when they photoshopped the new logo on a current labradar
So their marketing department is just as shitty as their software development department.

Last edited:
I know there are a lot of complaints here about defective Labradars, but frankly, except for the app that just doesn't work ... my Labradar has worked perfectly for almost 3 years. And I use it a lot. The one caveat is that the JKL Precision Labradar Trigger is pretty much a "mandatory" addition to get every shot recorded accurately. I'm content ... sounds like many are not. I'll continue to baby it and make sure it's used gently ... hoping to get many more years from it.

I'll continue to baby it and make sure it's used gently

That's the (real) problem.

Mines been back twice because the internal PCB board is easily dislodged. I've since taken to opening it up myself and tightening screws.

Like Tesla , missing some chips don't worry we got you :ROFLMAO:

Labradar Lite MSRP 559.95$ so its like 40$ less than Labradar standard

''As most of you are aware, there is a global computer chip shortage that has affected virtually every manufacturer of electronics. While we have been able to maintain a certain level of production, Labradar has also been affected by this shortage.
In an effort to continue to support the shooting sports with the best possible equipment, we will be introducing a new version of Labradar. The new model, Labradar Lite, will become available from dealers starting in mid-May.
The Labradar Lite will be the same device as the current model and will offer the same performance, except it will not have Bluetooth compatibility to communicate with the mobile App. Labradar Lite will not be adaptable to Bluetooth in the future.
All the other features will be present and you can count on your Labradar Lite to precisely measure the velocity of your projectile over the same range.''

280122896_1922696084589385_4301930923370386882_n.jpg
Less functionality at the same price.....

1653016547795.png

Anymore word on these? I really want a Doppler chrono but don’t want to spend the kind of money on a labradar

Keep smoking if you think someone is going to release a product that is half the price of the LR.
ECON101: You charge what the market will bear, and right now, that's $750 for a LR and the accessories needed to make it a functional device.

Its going to be vaporware. Theres a few other radar chrony's out now, or just finishing beta development.. they are SMALL. Rifle mounted small.

I cant see caldwell releasing this.

Its going to be vaporware. Theres a few other radar chrony's out now, or just finishing beta development.. they are SMALL. Rifle mounted small.

I cant see caldwell releasing this.
If Caldwell were smart they would approach the Professor that is behind Andi Scan , pay for the development ,tooling needed to take it into large scale production and take over the market.

Reactions: Demthios
Caldwell isn't smart through.
It's the business model of essentialy the lowest Chinese bidder to mfg at scale.

Still nothing. Really wish someone would actually challenge LabRadar to build a better product at this point.

Vaporware. It wont ever be released. Too many in the market now. They missed their oppertunity.

Vaporware. It wont ever be released. Too many in the market now. They missed their oppertunity.
Haha, you do know how markets and competition works no? Caldwell comparatively is much larger than anyone else putting these types of devices out. They have scale (if they can source components they don’t produce in house) to severely undercut the cost far more than the mom and pop folks already in market. And let’s be honest these parts arent too expensive! Nor is the RnD here. I build something similar in my garage in a weekend. If they came out with anything even close to what’s out already but was half the cost they’d eat everyone’s lunch!

Link. FYI here is a WAY overpriced version of a raspberry pi Doppler.

Reactions: iceng
Completely agree with you, and i (hope) i know how marketing and competition works.
My opinion was suggesting that they missed their window to capitolise on the "new kid on the block" with a great new design... marketers dream.
Because it took so long, do they invest 250k to make a product which will see 350k return over 18 months, or do they invest 250k in something else, and see 400k return in 12 months ?

Theres lots of competing products now, and do they want to try to get in this late ?

I Hope they do. However be aware that firearms owners do like expensive top shelf gear, which moves slower than cheaper lower end with less feature gear, which yields faster turn over based on price. Soooo develop a GREAT product and price it crazy high because of development, or bottom dollar to make it move, and be riddled with software bugs because it was not tested properly and uses junk 3rd parts parts from chyna.

Sorry for the long post.

Edit:
@category_theory thanks for the link. The ras-pi addon only does 348mph, or about 510fps. Could be fun with arrows ??

Last edited:
Completely agree with you, and i (hope) i know how marketing and competition works.
My opinion was suggesting that they missed their window to capitolise on the "new kid on the block" with a great new design... marketers dream.
Because it took so long, do they invest 250k to make a product which will see 350k return over 18 months, or do they invest 250k in something else, and see 400k return in 12 months ?

Theres lots of competing products now, and do they want to try to get in this late ?

I Hope they do. However be aware that firearms owners do like expensive top shelf gear, which moves slower than cheaper lower end with less feature gear, which yields faster turn over based on price. Soooo develop a GREAT product and price it crazy high because of development, or bottom dollar to make it move, and be riddled with software bugs because it was not tested properly and uses junk 3rd parts parts from chyna.

Sorry for the long post.

Edit:
@category_theory thanks for the link. The ras-pi addon only does 348mph, or about 510fps. Could be fun with arrows ??
If they release a truly finished product at $400 or less they will sell a ton of them.

Reactions: iceng and Dawhit
And i will be the first to buy... or order, i just cant see it happening anymore.

*sad velocity noises*.

I was hoping we would hear something by now to force LR to improve a product that does need several improvements. One being it’s size and second being a Bluetooth that’s faster and doesn’t disconnect after every shot. The LR is due for a refresh. I’ve been very disappointed with LR and their reaction to feedback.

I don’t think the newer radar chronos help all that much to force improvement on LR due to them not being priced competitively.

Reactions: iceng
I think the ballistic radar manufacturers have been fighting with the FCC on the new rules for 60GHZ Field Sensitive Devices, just recently approved.
Small footprint systems for single short range readings have different field strength required than larger footprint 100 yard range units.
A long read, but this details what has been going on for the last year or so:

24GHZ units, Garmin probably being the last, will give way to 60GHZ units, like the LabRadar LX and soon the Caldwell. I think LARGE antenna arrays are needed for narrow longer range beams.

Large antenna 24GHZ LabRadar,
Small antenna 24GHZ Garmin Zero,
Small antenna 24GHZ Andi-Scan,
Small antenna 60GHZ LabRadar LX
Large antenna 60 GHZ Caldwell.

Upgrading the old school LabRadar will mean a total replacement of internal radar components.

Last edited: