• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Daystate PCP air rifle

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
Pretty slick the exotic air guns available these days. This one has a electronic firing system.
crazy.gif

I was privileged to be offered a sponsorship to shoot for Daystate air rifles and Airguns of Arizona in 2012.

So here's my new toy. A Daystate Panther. I'm happy to report it's as accurate as it is sexy. I tested 4 different heavy .177 match pellets at 45Y for groups. One type shot some sub 1/4" vertical 5 shots groups. The horizontal from the wind was 1/2". Plenty accurate enough to win a FT match.
grin.gif

http://daystate.com/mk4.htm

025.jpg

Re: New Daystate PCP air rifle

Congratz on the sponsorship Steve! Is all of the shooting done offhand?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> tested 4 different heavy .177 match pellets at 45Y for groups. One type shot some sub 1/4" vertical 5 shots groups. The horizontal from the wind was 1/2". Plenty accurate enough to win a FT match.
grin.gif

</div></div>

heck, that's good enough to win a ARA benchrest competition!

neat rifle. airguns sure have come a long way

Nifty. Congrats on the sponsorship too!

How are the ergonomics on that stock?

While I can't fault Daystate for their fit, finish, or accuracy, I'd like to have an Airwolf but the stock just doesn't fit me. The cheekrest (or lack thereof) with the normal stock keeps me from diving in-- it's too low for me. If Daystate were to offer the Airwolf with an adjustable stock similar to the Mk4 I might have to pick one up. I suppose I could also carve up the stock and add my own adjustable cheekrest to the standard walnut stock...

Don't you also have a Mac1 USFT? If you don't mind (and won't get in trouble with your sponsors) what are your thoughts comparing the Mk4 and the USFT?

Thanks guy's.

I'm tired and will giving my daughter a ride to the airport tomorrow but I'll let you know my initial impressions first chance I get.

Congrats on being selected Steve. If I may ask,what type of Scope and what is the power you using for the FT matches ?

Thanks...

Congrats! I was eyeballing those but got a .22 Daystate AirWolf instead. I bought it strictly for hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ta2dtrent</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That thing is neat looking. Its crazy the technology they have now days </div></div>

I agree, especially considering it's just a pellet gun. Imagine the engineering that went into it???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terror!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congratz on the sponsorship Steve! Is all of the shooting done offhand? </div></div>

Thanks Terror!,

In FT we shoot in all 4 positions occasionally. The target setters will obscure a target to force a position.

We primarily shoot in the sitting position. Except we modify the position so that we brace the rifle off our knee's.

Like this.

http://accurateshooter.net/GOTW/fieldtargettop600.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> tested 4 different heavy .177 match pellets at 45Y for groups. One type shot some sub 1/4" vertical 5 shots groups. The horizontal from the wind was 1/2". Plenty accurate enough to win a FT match.
grin.gif

</div></div>

heck, that's good enough to win a ARA benchrest competition!

neat rifle. airguns sure have come a long way </div></div>

Yeah, If could I could repeat those results "all day long" as they say, that would be really cool! But I'll settle for here and there and be happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nifty. Congrats on the sponsorship too!

How are the ergonomics on that stock?

While I can't fault Daystate for their fit, finish, or accuracy, I'd like to have an Airwolf but the stock just doesn't fit me. The cheekrest (or lack thereof) with the normal stock keeps me from diving in-- it's too low for me. If Daystate were to offer the Airwolf with an adjustable stock similar to the Mk4 I might have to pick one up. I suppose I could also carve up the stock and add my own adjustable cheekrest to the standard walnut stock...

Don't you also have a Mac1 USFT? If you don't mind (and won't get in trouble with your sponsors) what are your thoughts comparing the Mk4 and the USFT? </div></div>

Thanks Kiba!

I love the ergo's on this stock! It's comfortable and the weight is well centered. It balances right at the knee. The cheek peace has a slight depression in it and is adjustable for height, movement left or right a 1/2", forward or rearward 1" or so and can be angled radially a little.

I know what you mean with the Airwolf and to me anyways, most stocks out there. I've been trying my best to buy rifles with adjustable stocks so I didn't have a have custom stocks made for me.

IMO in some ways the USFT and the Panther are polar opposites.

The USFT is incredibly simple and overbuilt. It has a long lock time and a long barrel so shooting it requires very smooth follow through. The trigger is good but not excellent. It has no regulator and a huge air reservoir so not much to go wrong. It's on the heavy side which helps in the FT position and has fully adjustable ergo's. A very solid and dependable PCP and has never failed me.

So far...

The MK4/Panther is a state of the art electro mechanical machine. It has batteries that have to be charged. LCD display. A brain to warn you with a beep if you get low on air, the mag is low/out, low voltage. The gun even turns itself off after 15 minutes.
The lock time is incredibly fast and the barrel is short. I noticed right off the bat that it is much easier to fudge a shot some and still make a hit. The trigger action is as good as it gets and fully adjustable. It came set at 6oz but I am looking forward to setting it at a crisp 3oz. It's got a device called a air stripper on the muzzle. It can be adjusted in and out like a barrel tuner. I haven't had time to experiment with it yet so I'm curious if it will improve accuracy. My favorite thing about the rifle is the firing impulse's feel. The gun hardly moves and I can see the pellet strike most of the time. I can't do that with the USFT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AML50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on being selected Steve. If I may ask,what type of Scope and what is the power you using for the FT matches ?

Thanks... </div></div>

It's a Bushnell 3-12x44. It used to be on my Hunter Field Target rifle which in the rules allows 12x max mag. I put it on temporarily until I get something else with higher mag. Actually I just sold it today. Been a great scope.

I might try a Falcon 5-25. Still deciding. My USFT has a 45X Leupold which has worked out well for me. I'd prefer a variable for the Panther with a minimum of 24X on the high mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats! I was eyeballing those but got a .22 Daystate AirWolf instead. I bought it strictly for hunting. </div></div>

Thanks VYD. I'd like a AirWolf too
wink.gif

How many ftlbs energy did you end up getting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How many ftlbs energy did you end up getting? </div></div>

36 FPE on high and 29 on low settings.

Thanks for your thoughts on the stock ergos. If Daystate comes out with an adjustable stock for the AirWolf I'll probably pick one up-- the power/shot count ratio on that rifle is fantastic. Currently I'm on the waiting list for a pair of new R3 Edguns (one .22 and one .25, replacing my current R2 .22) but I would still like an Airwolf.

Good info comparing the USFT vs the Mk4. When I use my air rifles they're about 70% hunting & pest control / 30% target use but I still am interested in the FT game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The MK4/Panther is a state of the art electro mechanical machine. It has batteries that have to be charged. LCD display. A brain to warn you with a beep if you get low on air, the mag is low/out, low voltage. The gun even turns itself off after 15 minutes. </div></div>

That is the biggest appeal and drawback of the electronically valved guns IMO. They're great on air use, shot consistency, and the lock time is amazingly quick but if you ever forget to charge the battery or have a bad battery pack your day of shooting might be shorter than anticipated...

Let us know how it does in the FT matches!

Yep I'll be making sure the rifle is charged for sure.

In the future I'll post some more pics and more thoughts as I use the rifle in FT matches.

Post some pics and commentary about your R3's when you get them. I'd like to get one of those some day. I shot Mark B's Edgun once. Reminded me of a FN P90. Sure would be a good backpack air rifle.