• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

It was worth it to me to buy ammo from Copper Creek.

I'm saving my brass and loading my own, of course. Time is very valuable to me. Easy decision.

I think the $5/round is a short lived phenomenon. Brass availability will catch up with demand.

Is it the scarcity of brass that has the round price so high? Just trying to figure out how to get this caliber. RG

Actually, it's probably more the lack of caliber specific factory brass for this round. All the brass for this round has to be converted from 7mm SAUM or 300 SAUM. I was shocked when I saw the asking price for processed brass. BUT after having done 100 rounds of prep - I can fully understand the cost. It is time consuming. Of course it's been proven that you can get at least 16 firings from each piece so the cost per round fired does go down from the initial round.

It was worth it to me to buy ammo from Copper Creek.

I'm saving my brass and loading my own, of course. Time is very valuable to me. Easy decision.

I think the $5/round is a short lived phenomenon. Brass availability will catch up with demand.

I was just looking at that and came here to see if my eyes were deceiving me on the price tag. $230 for 50 rounds? Santa Maria, Jesus! Is it just because of their labor for the brass prep, or is the brass that rare->expensive?

I was just looking at that and came here to see if my eyes were deceiving me on the price tag. $230 for 50 rounds? Santa Maria, Jesus! Is it just because of their labor for the brass prep, or is the brass that rare->expensive?

I would assume labor is a large part of it, cause components don't even add up to half that cost. The best thing for this round will be if George can get some factory brass made.

For 50 rounds its a little less than 100 bucks for components but there is a ton of labor in the first round of firing. It costs a company a lot of money to oay someone for brass prep then actually loading the rounds. The good news is after you buy the rounds copper creek will reload them for much cheaper. The cost is in the brass prep. Having to use bushing dies to step the neck down then turn the necks then anneal clean etc takes time. When you out it in perspective of the other high end cartridges the price isnt too bad. 338LM and any of the big bore weatherby cartridges are going to cost you damn near the same.

Once George gets factory brass made this cartridge is going to skyrocket. Thats the main thing I'm waiting on. Its not that I cant do the brass prep but I've got plenty of other cartridges to keep me busy at the moment. Lets hope George can work out a deal for a run of brass. The brass life of this cartridge is awesome while slinging the heavier 6.5 bullets well past what the 6.5cm does.

I just ordered one of the xtreme hunters and am trying to decide what brass to go with, is there much difference in the remington vs norma as far as case capacity and load data? which do you prefer

bullets.com just added Norma 7mm SAUM brass in stock today!! I placed my order but don't know how much they have.

Got the email yesterday that mine is in the mail! FedEx website says delivered tomorrow. Last day of MD rifle deer season on Saturday...hoping my load development goes as smoothly as everybody else's so far.

I just ordered one of the xtreme hunters and am trying to decide what brass to go with, is there much difference in the remington vs norma as far as case capacity and load data? which do you prefer

I've heard the Norma has less capacity...seems like everyone is running the Rem brass, but I would wait for either George, Pat, or Scott, to shed more light... I bought a bunch of Nosler 7 SAUM, and wish I had the Remmy....

Given the choice, I would always pick Remington Brass. Seems to be holding up the best and it will hold a little more powder if need be. My second choice is Nosler.
I am more then confident George will land a manufacturer to make properly head stamped brass, but you all will need to be patient. This will not be an overnight thing. It will take some time.
This caliber is already taking off, factory brass or not the 4S flat out performs. And it is proving itself.

Be patient, buy your prepped brass from Copper Creek or have him load you some ammo. The initial cost stings a bit but once you are shooting you will see why all of us are so high and mighty on it!
Copper Creek can also order you some very nice Redding Dies, once you go thru your first firing, start loading your own.

I have just been buying my prepped brass from Copper Creek and it is the same price as buying un-prepped 300 SAUM Nozzler brass. (unless its gone up since my last order) I think I was paying around $2.00 ea

***I have also been buying up 300 SAUM brass when I find it, so that if things get rough I can start forming my own***

Given the choice, I would always pick Remington Brass. Seems to be holding up the best and it will hold a little more powder if need be. My second choice is Nosler.
I am more then confident George will land a manufacturer to make properly head stamped brass, but you all will need to be patient. This will not be an overnight thing. It will take some time.
This caliber is already taking off, factory brass or not the 4S flat out performs. And it is proving itself.

Be patient, buy your prepped brass from Copper Creek or have him load you some ammo. The initial cost stings a bit but once you are shooting you will see why all of us are so high and mighty on it!
Copper Creek can also order you some very nice Redding Dies, once you go thru your first firing, start loading your own.

Will do! Your right! I've started ordering the bits and pieces already. Can't wait to be playing/hunting with this new round. RG

novmd014.jpg

From this buck.....Nice shot Kent!!!

Guys who have and have not posted. What speed are you getting with Berger 140 hunting VLDs and H1000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 grains H1000 and the 140 Berger HVLD will get you 3080 in a 26" Barrel

61.5 will get you 3100

63 will get you 3210 but raises the pressure outside what we are trying to do here and will torch the barrel.

63 grains of H1000 and the 130 Berger HVLD will get you 3220 and stay withen the pressure were trying to keep.

Are most people running the .002" neck clearance, or are some turning a little thinner to give more clearance for a field/hunting rifle? I was thinking of turning to .0145" just to give another thousandths clearance, and using a .290 bushing for .003" neck tension.

Are most using a Large Rifle or a LR Magnum primer for their loads? I have both Fed 210m and 215m. I probably missed this post somewhere. I know I read Pat used Tula LRM but said they were similar to 210M?

Alan

61.5 will get you 3100

63 will get you 3210 but raises the pressure outside what we are trying to do here and will torch the barrel.

63 grains of H1000 and the 130 Berger HVLD will get you 3220 and stay withen the pressure were trying to keep.

I see the velocities posted are for a 26" barrel, yet on the website the Xtreme Hunter comes with a 24" barrel. Does it cost anymore for a 26" barrel?

By the way I love my Gap-10 .308, thanks George.

Just curious, Can anyone tell me what the water capacity is of a fired case with Norma brass from the turn neck chamber??

Are most people running the .002" neck clearance, or are some turning a little thinner to give more clearance for a field/hunting rifle? I was thinking of turning to .0145" just to give another thousandths clearance, and using a .290 bushing for .003" neck tension.

I measured 25 pieces Norma brass that I got from Josh@ Copper Creek and the are .0147 to .015" so I am turning mine .01475". Then I will anneal because of the 5 steps down (like josh) and will load up some dummies to see but I think I will be using .291 bushing for a .002" neck tension as that's what I run on all my bolt guns. I know on my tight neck .260 GAP it liked .002-.0025 clearance.

Are most using a Large Rifle or a LR Magnum primer for their loads? I have both Fed 210m and 215m. I probably missed this post somewhere. I know I read Pat used Tula LRM but said they were similar to 210M?

Alan

Use the Fed 215M!

I see the velocities posted are for a 26" barrel, yet on the website the Xtreme Hunter comes with a 24" barrel. Does it cost anymore for a 26" barrel?

By the way I love my Gap-10 .308, thanks George.

You're only looking at maybe a 25 fps difference. I think that is fine to run a 24" barrel considering you are packing around a hunting rifle. He is going for a lightweight AND packable rifle system. I have had some time with George's Extreme Hunter and it is very nicely done, great balance of weight and size. I would stick with the way he has it listed, at least that's how mine is coming and all his test rifles were built.

On my heavier guns, I run a 27" barrel. That gives me plenty of barrel to set back once if I really want to.

This is what a Pointed 140gr Berger Hybrid does at 120 yards:

8whxg4.jpg

2d0j8f7.jpg

61.5 will get you 3100

Hey George if and when you get 6.5 SAUM head stamp brass made like you did for the 6mm creedmore. What size neck will it come with. Are you going to run a standard neck or tight neck with the new brass?

Hey George if and when you get 6.5 SAUM head stamp brass made like you did for the 6mm creedmore. What size neck will it come with. Are you going to run a standard neck or tight neck with the new brass?

He said earlier in the thread that it would be the tight neck dimension.

I received my 6.5 SAUM about 4 weeks ago. Barrel break-in was as good or better than any previous new rifle. Accuracy is great as expected and shown by many others. Balance and practical hunting use criteria are second to none. Expectations were high and they have been met with room to spare. Thank you to George and others for their efforts to prove this fine cartridge.

I have both 7mm & 300 brass to convert, but got started with Copper Creek 130 VLD-H ammo. What MV's out of 24" barrels are others getting with the Copper Creek 130's?

Last edited:
Made a huge leap towards Head stamped brass today. It will still be a ways off as the industry is still swamped with ammo orders from this years unprecedented ammo buying spree.

on another note!! ---

Also got the Final Production version of the Bushnell LRHS scope in. Its going to change the playing field for a tough rugged easy to use LR Scope purpose built for LR hunting. Working on a great post announcement for it and a Group Buy for the first 200 scopes.

Made a huge leap towards Head stamped brass today. It will still be a ways off as the industry is still swamped with ammo orders from this years unprecedented ammo buying spree.

on another note!! ---

Also got the Final Production version of the Bushnell LRHS scope in. Its going to change the playing field for a tough rugged easy to use LR Scope purpose built for LR hunting. Working on a great post announcement for it and a Group Buy for the first 200 scopes.

Count me in! I've loved all the Bushy's I've got from you....anxiously awaiting this one!!!

Good work!

Bushnell LRHS Specs
3x12 power
First Focal Plane
22oz
13.4" long, comes with 2" sunshade
30mm Tube
44mm OBJ
1/10th Mil/Mil adjustments
10 MIL per rev low profile elevation knob
24 mils of travel
Zero Stop (Easy to Set!!)
10 mil per rev windadge , capped
side focus 20ft to INF
great field of view
great eye box
Glass on par with $2500+ scopes

Bushnell let Myself and Pat Sinclair spec this scope out completely. lots of the features were formulated from Pats experience in big game hunting and predator hunting. We thought of lots of little things that would be perfectly combined into the ultimate LR Hunting scope. From large numbering and a zero Indicator to easy to use elevation knob and zero stop, capped but useable/zeroable windadge knob. Easy to adjust power ring. Newly designed LR huntind reticle.

About the reticle, the G2DMR reticle was redesigned for better use as LR Hunting reticle. The bars filled in and brought in closer to the center, more defined center for better low light use, a 4 Mil halo around the center for rapid centering and use as a donut of death on low power, the same mil grid for elevation holdover and wind hold-off as the Original G2. Behold the G2H!!

This scope is going to Debut at the Shot Show and I will have the first 200 units on April 10th of 2014. A few will go out to testers, and Pat will update everyone on his use of it and the testing he is doing with it already. Earlier prototypes have already proven worthy on some LR Antelope and Deer.

Im working the details on a SH inaugural group buy on it that will be up soon for the first 200 units.

This will be the start to a line of LR Hunting scopes Bushnell has plans to offer, Ideas coming - MOA version, 4x16x50 model for 2015, LR varmint model???

This scope is also the perfect optic for a Precision AR type rifle. Bushnell will be offering a FDE Model called the LRS for this purpose as well in the fall of 2014.

A big thanks to Tim Tanker and Tom Fuller of Bushnell for seeing this thing through!!

408381044.jpg

408381047.jpg

408381050.jpg

408381051.jpg

408381053.jpg

408381055.jpg

408381066.jpg

408381074.jpg

408381076.jpg

408381084.jpg

Last edited:
3135 fps here with the 130's 24" barrel

I received my 6.5 SAUM about 4 weeks ago. Barrel break-in was as good or better than any previous new rifle. Accuracy is great as expected and shown by many others. Balance and practical hunting use criteria are second to none. Expectations were high and they have been met with room to spare. Thank you to George and others for their efforts to prove this fine cartridge.

I have both 7mm & 300 brass to convert, but got started with Copper Creek 130 VLD-H ammo. What MV's out of 24" barrels are others getting with the Copper Creek 130's?

I really like the feature set on that scope. Particularly mil/mil, 10 per turn on the elevation, low pro windage that can run capped or not with the easy to read markings. Well thought out and functional. 44 mil lens will still let you mount it low and and the weight and size are reasonable too.

A friend who sells optics asked me a few months back what i'd like to see in a lr hunting scope and my list read much like this.

So turrets can be functional without being over an inch tall. I don't dial wind a lot so I see no point in having a big tall turret blocking my loading and ejecting port.

I'm not use to that busy if a reticle but I could learn to like it with all those other features. I'd like to see the same in a 4-16x44 to instead of 50.

Bb

Last edited:
Any idea on projected price?

Edit - nevermind, just saw the thread in the scope section.

Last edited:
Side focus parallax from 20 feet, very nice! The whole concept, everything about this scope is what I've wanted for all these years! It's a perfect 3-12!

Thanks so much George - Pat and Bushnell!

This will have to be my first bushy. Been running the zeiss z800 that George sold me so far 5 coues deer 1@674 3@500 1@400 and a lot of p-dog at 800+ love this style reticle for hunting and very easy my wife and 2 boys understand it.One question is the circle for ranging ourposes

Being first focal plane the circle becomes the aiming point when on low power. Also 2 mils is a good lead on a Trotting Deer!!

This will have to be my first bushy. Been running the zeiss z800 that George sold me so far 5 coues deer 1@674 3@500 1@400 and a lot of p-dog at 800+ love this style reticle for hunting and very easy my wife and 2 boys understand it.One question is the circle for ranging ourposes