• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

ebcc66a3f664b989f5ae653682e550b3_zps0d493621.jpg

Woot woot! Finally finished this rifle over the weekend with Robert Gradous. Very promising thus far.

Lucky bastard!!!!! I am right behind you with mine. :p

How many 6.5 SAUM shooters are pointing their VLD's or Scenars? Sounds like the 130 VLD G1 gains about .5 when pointed putting the G1 at .600. I would prefer not to have to add this extra step so am looking for feedback on results on Pointing vs Not Pointing. Thanks!

How many 6.5 SAUM shooters are pointing their VLD's or Scenars? Sounds like the 130 VLD G1 gains about .5 when pointed putting the G1 at .600. I would prefer not to have to add this extra step so am looking for feedback on results on Pointing vs Not Pointing. Thanks!

Pointing is a simple process and for the gains it gives me down range I always have my bullets pointed if it benefits the caliber. Gaining .5 mils in elevation on an already super flat round, is amazing.

IMO it's a significant increase in BC. It only takes 30 min to point 100 bullets. And that's with pointing, trimming, pointing once again.

All the talk about meplat trimming and bullet pointing has me wondering if pointed bullets (Berger Hunting VLD's) will expand reliably down to the velocities the state for an unmodified bullet? Has anyone thats pointing them seen a differance on game?

Not disagreeing with you, but would like to point out Berger's stated position on the subject:

"Note that it is not recommended to close the points on bullets used for hunting because it may have adverse effects on the terminal performance." — http://www.bergerbullets.com/change-to-6mm-105-grain-vld-target-bullet/

I would like for them to explain to me how it has "adverse affects on terminal ballistics" when the pointing process increases their BC and every single shot I have ever taken with a pointed 130gr bullet drops animals in their tracks.

They are clearing saying that as to not get sued by someone like PETA or some other liberal hippie faction.

Very interested to see how 6.5 saum performs on big matches like Vortex Extreme or GAP Grind. Would a low capacity mag be a problem?

VYD, have wondered this as well. I shot with George Gardiner at the 2013 SHC, it obviously wasn't a big deal as he won and I''m pretty sure he shot the SAUM.

Very interested to see how 6.5 saum performs on big matches like Vortex Extreme or GAP Grind. Would a low capacity mag be a problem?

VYD, have wondered this as well. I shot with George Gardiner at the 2013 SHC, it obviously wasn't a big deal as he won and I''m pretty sure he shot the SAUM.

Alpha makes a 10 round WSM mag, i'm pretty sure that is what he has said he was using.

I would like for them to explain to me how it has "adverse affects on terminal ballistics" when the pointing process increases their BC and every single shot I have ever taken with a pointed 130gr bullet drops animals in their tracks.

They are clearing saying that as to not get sued by someone like PETA or some other liberal hippie faction.

Berger advises that, apparently, the pointing process may have "adverse effects on terminal performance." Which I took to mean reliable penetration and expansion, rather than BC. Perhaps that has more to do with individual variances/skills in the pointing technique than lawsuits. But like I said, I'm not disagreeing with you.

Well just for a laugh and the fact that I can't get any sensible accuracy from 140 gr 6.5 projectiles, with the possible exception of Berger 140gr Hunting Vld's I tried some Hornady 95gr Vmax.

My first concern was whether they would stay together so the first was shot with the Oheler, and it stayed together at 100 yards. The second one registered 3640 fps (56786 psi) which is exactly what QL predicted. Going on that basis I should be able to make 3800 fps, personally I think it will go to 3750fps.

Next step it to see if the Vmax stays together at 300 yards, if they do I will shoot for groups.

Barrel twist is 1-8.

Last edited:
Well just for a laugh and the fact that I can't get any sensible accuracy from 140 gr 6.5 projectiles, with the possible exception of Berger 140gr Hunting Vld's I tried some Hornady 95gr Vmax.

My first concern was whether they would stay together so the first was shot with the Oheler, and it stayed together at 100 yards. The second one registered 3640 fps (56786 psi) which is exactly what QL predicted. Going on that basis I should be able to make 3800 fps, personally I think it will go to 3750fps.

Next step it to see if the Vmax stays together at 300 yards, if they do I will shoot for groups.

Barrel twist is 1-8.

You can't get any 140gr 6.5 projectile to shoot accurately?

I can give you a tip, it's not the bullets fault…. I usually stick with Berger or JLK. I have never had a problem with getting either of those bullets to shoot accurately in any 6.5 caliber.

That sounds like a barrel or load problem to me but you might want to try a 140 hybrid or 139 scenar if you haven't. It's usually very easy to find a good load with those.

Barrel twist is 1-8.

Bullets tried are

140 JLK
140 Hybrid
139 Scenar
142 SMK
140 Amax
140 Vld

I have tried H1000 mostly, RL25 and N165, N165 has worked the best.

I'm not bothered by it any more and I'm going to have some fun and see what else it can do as 200-300 yard rifle.

got the call that my etreme hunter is shipping out, cant wait to get some trigger time with it and see what all the hype is about after reading over these 51 pages a few times.

I have a question. Anyone try out the Nosler Custom SAUM brass yet as well as the NORMA brass. Able to compare the 2? I searched long and hard and i found out that in the SAUM offerings, NORMA manufactures the NOSLER brass. I cant get any NORMA brass in Canada, but REMINGTON and NOSLER are plentiful since it's not a popular cartridge here for some reason. I blame the WSM's. What I want to confirm, is if the NOSLER brass is identical to NORMA. NOSLER brass is $2 a piece so I'm hesitant to just try it out without finding out all i can. I have some REMINGTON brass now, but want to see what else I can use.

Last edited:
As expected the 95 gr Vmax disintegrated some where between 100 and 300 yards, it's either that or a missed a 2fy x2ft piece of paper at 300 yards!

Thinking out loud...

Xtreme Hunter in 6.5 saum (7.5lbs) vs. Non-Typical in 6.5 saum (8.5lbs). I understand there is nothing to gain here except for 1 extra pound, but this route is a lot cheaper. What am I missing?

Thinking out loud...

Xtreme Hunter in 6.5 saum (7.5lbs) vs. Non-Typical in 6.5 saum (8.5lbs). I understand there is nothing to gain here except for 1 extra pound, but this route is a lot cheaper. What am I missing?

B&C Stock and no DBM, also no Vais muzzle break or Talley rings.

Last edited:
My 260 nontypical is lighter than my Extreme Hunter by a couple ounces. I went with the McMillan Hunters edge stock on the nontypical. Both have 24" barrels, the XH has a fluted barrel. Both have APA bottom metal and talley 30mm lightweights.

B&C Stock and no DBM, also no Vais muzzle break or Talley rings.

What is "wrong" with B&C stock? Dont know much about it.
Received my Hospitaller couple of months ago and really am enjoying Manners stock but for a hunting rifle Non Typical is, Manners is too heavy/bulky.
Not really concerned about DBM on hunting rifles. Been digesting all the info here about 6.5 SAUM but really like the Non Typical
model. The same accuracy guarantee and I could spend the $ difference on reloading equipment.

Sounds badass, can't wait to see it!! I think I want to get an elite filled T5. My T5A is a little heavy but I love the fit and ergonomics!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is "wrong" with B&C stock? Dont know much about it.
Received my Hospitaller couple of months ago and really am enjoying Manners stock but for a hunting rifle Non Typical is, Manners is too heavy/bulky.
Not really concerned about DBM on hunting rifles. Been digesting all the info here about 6.5 SAUM but really like the Non Typical
model. The same accuracy guarantee and I could spend the $ difference on reloading equipment.

I dont think there is anything "wrong" with it at all, just pointing out some of the differences in the rifles. Common differences could include different construction, fill, color, production method, finish, etc. I will defer to those with first hand knowledge for specific details.

Myself, I might find an FN SPR in 300 WSM as a donor and re barrel it in 6.5 SAUM when I find out if I am headed to the west for my last few years in the mil.

I still am thinking on taking a Kimber Montana 300 WSM and rebarreling with a Brux #2 in 6.5 SAUM. Talk about a lightweight long range hammer!

For those fortunate shooters of the 6.5 saum , who has the highest number of rounds through their barrel and how is that barrel holding up accuracy wise ?
I'm REALLY thinking about a custom build in this cartridge and will most likely hold off till things become more affordable and available but would like any information on barrel longevity before I commit what little funds I have !

Anyone shoot any of the copper creek loaded ammo? Or know what it's loaded with?

Nice!! Been messing with the new Accubond LR's seems they have a long bearing surface and dont make the speed of the bergers without pressure going way up.

Talked to Pat last week his rifle has 2800 rounds on it now and still hammers!! lost a little speed but accuracy is still there!

I don't have 2,800 on mine but I'll trust what these guys say and do...

Pointing is a simple process and for the gains it gives me down range I always have my bullets pointed if it benefits the caliber. Gaining .5 mils in elevation on an already super flat round, is amazing.

Are you using a Whidden die?

Sadly my 6.5 SAUM is still just a reamer sitting in a box, too many other projects ahead of it. I do need to get a barrel at some point.

The Copper Creek ammo shoots extremely well. View attachment 47950 This go up was shot at 1100 yards with a GAP rifle.

nice shooting, mine doesn't seem to like it at all. just got the gun and ran 35 rounds down it and nothing better than 1 inch at 100 and most were more like 1.5 inch. guess i will shoot up the other 15 and start trying some loads.