• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

Thanks for the heads up on the 300 win mag mags, I will have to look into that, I am still going to run my Creedmoor as my match gun for now until I get some more rounds through this one and see how it is going to pan out/get solid dope for it. This one will primarily be my long range hunting rig for now and maybe will see some duty as a match gun if we have a match that is primarily prone...I am a lefty, so the right handed bolt doesn't play well shooting positional on the clock!

Ladder test from a r93 Blaser with 26inch tube

2217 (h1000) .. 130 vld seated at 2.93oal

60.5 at 3162
61 at 3184
61.5 at 3194
62 at 3121
62.5 at 3242
63 at 3252 . . . . Sniper's hide load
63.5 at 3276
64 at 3294
64.5 at 3325
65 at 3356

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

George, I been wanting one of these. I have a surgeon that I want to turn into a switch bbl rig. Can I send yall complete rifle and get back a rifle that accepts both bbls in the same bedding? I'm sure you can but wanting to know. I'm pretty sure that the surgeon in the McMillian A5 is nothing more than a rebbl with shipping the old bbl back. Never done one halfway in the guns life so thats why I'm asking.

60.5 at 3162
61 at 3184
61.5 at 3194
62 at 3121
62.5 at 3242
63.5 at 3276
64 at 3294
64.5 at 3325
65 at 3356

Tui-man,

How did you get a Blaser R93 barrel? Did you rechamber a 264 Win Mag or a 6.5x55? Or is there someone out there making Blaser barrels from scratch?

Tui-man,

How did you get a Blaser R93 barrel? Did you rechamber a 264 Win Mag or a 6.5x55? Or is there someone out there making Blaser barrels from scratch?

Making receivers so can change barrel like a normal bolt action, then opens up so many more options

Making receivers so can change barrel like a normal bolt action, then opens up so many more options

I would love to know where you can get that done. I have a couple of R93's in the safe.

I just spent the last hour re-reading this thread..I have to say I am very impressed with the performance of the 6.5 SAUM. The .243 build in mind may have to wait, you guys have convinced me to rethink my caliber choice. I am going to get a 6.5mm barrel and go this route instead. This is a sickness!

Bartlein lists a 8 & 8.5 twist for 6.5mm barrel, is there much difference between the two with 130 or 140's?

60.5 at 3162
61 at 3184
61.5 at 3194
62 at 3121
62.5 at 3242
63.5 at 3276
64 at 3294
64.5 at 3325
65 at 3356

Which of those was your most accurate?

Great looking rig! I will be looking for one of these for my next build.

I started turning the necks on my 7saum/300saum brass that had been sized down to 6.5. (Thanks George) I'll say that if you can stick with 7saum brass, and only have to size down once to 6.5, it's much more noticeable/smoother when turning the necks. If I get some free time I'm thinking about helping others out and sizing down/turning, say 100 pieces for some cash. Shoot me a message if you need some help.

Last edited:
Anyone built one with the 0.298" neck yet? I have the parts on the way and cannot wait to get this thing together! A week ago I was checking out Hognut's 6.5 SAUM, then he directed me toward this thread... Monday I was on the phone with PTG..

I did manage some brass though! Thank you Dale!

60.5 at 3162
61 at 3184
61.5 at 3194
62 at 3121
62.5 at 3242
63.5 at 3276
64 at 3294
64.5 at 3325
65 at 3356

Did you really gain 121 FPS from 62 to 62.5 grains? Seems like a hell of a gain for .5 grains.

George, I been wanting one of these. I have a surgeon that I want to turn into a switch bbl rig. Can I send yall complete rifle and get back a rifle that accepts both bbls in the same bedding? I'm sure you can but wanting to know. I'm pretty sure that the surgeon in the McMillian A5 is nothing more than a rebbl with shipping the old bbl back. Never done one halfway in the guns life so thats why I'm asking.

No Problem!! my match rifle is a 6mm Creedmoor and a 6.5 4S just swap the barrel Bolt and Mags and its ready takes me about 3 min to make the swap and oddly mine has Zero impact shift at all when switching calibers. which is not the norm.

mcdogs019.jpg

Got a chance to try out the new March 3-24X42 with the FML-1 reticle. So far, I like it.....a lot!! Amazing scope for it's size and weight.

These shots were taken at 15X. The last two were up in the head area and were by design.....grin! I was getting about .6 or.7 drift. The ten shot string measured 5.5".

Waiting for fall black bear, antelope, deer and elk.......

I"m just waiting for GAP to call me back to place a order. Hoping it won't be long as I have been ready for a couple of days to get it done!!!
Thank you Scott and Pat for the info and getting back to me.
I found 200 pcs new 7mm-saum today from a guy and purchased them.
Looking forward to this!!!!

So just to be absolutely certain, you can run this in a Surgeon 591R as long as you have a magnum bolt face and it will feed without OAL issues? Swap barrel, bolt and mags and you are GTG?

No Problem!! my match rifle is a 6mm Creedmoor and a 6.5 4S just swap the barrel Bolt and Mags and its ready takes me about 3 min to make the swap and oddly mine has Zero impact shift at all when switching calibers. which is not the norm.
That's pretty convenient.

My Surgeon 591 is already a switch hitter w/ 308, 6.5CM, and 223 Rem. Adding a 6.5 4S barrel would make this rifle a triple crown for me. I would need the WSM 591 bolt to make the 6.5 4S work. Do you have any at GAP or would I need to order the new bolt from Surgeon and send the new bolt with my receiver for the barreling job?

What contour barrel do you use on your match rifle? (I presume it's not the #3 that's on the Extreme Hunter) I'm debating between Rem Varmint (#13) and M24 (#14).

Pat, are you switching from the S&B 10x42 to the March for full time use on your 6.5? Great looking piece of glass....

The shooting wasn't bad either :D

I run the Bartlein #14 contour with heavy flutes. All of my barrels have shot lights out when chambered by GAP.

I was getting 3260 fps today with Copper Creeks 130gr Berger loads in Remington brass.

I run the Bartlein #14 contour with heavy flutes. All of my barrels have shot lights out when chambered by GAP.

I was getting 3260 fps today with Copper Creeks 130gr Berger loads in Remington brass.
A fluted #14, finished at 26-27" is what I'm leaning towards, and dropping it into my MCM A5 that's hogged out for a MTU contour.

Do you use 140s at all? What is the avg speed you get with them? I'm interested in running some numbers in JBM against other calibers I'm more familiar with.

A fluted #14, finished at 26-27" is what I'm leaning towards, and dropping it into my MCM A5 that's hogged out for a MTU contour.

Do you use 140s at all? What is the avg speed you get with them? I'm interested in running some numbers in JBM against other calibers I'm more familiar with.

All my barrels are 27". I do run the 140 Hybrids as well. I have them at 3150 fps, same load that George runs. I run these loads as they were intended for the caliber. Plenty of speed, hits like a ton of bricks downrange and apparently 4000-4500 barrel life.
What is not to like about that? :D

marchsc003.jpg

That is a 10X42 S&B PMII. Great scope! Rugged, fairly light and not overly large, and above all, proven. They have been my go to big game hunting scope for many years without a single snafu.

I just swapped it with the March 3-24X42 a few days ago(pictured above). I'll T&E it for the next few months. So far, I really like it.

Pat, I have been following this thread ( especially your contribution as a hunter) since it started and of course I am really wanting this caliber for my go to hunting rifle. Now I was all set with the S and B you used and have been looking for one and now you jump on the march scope...lol slow down and let us NOT-IN-THE-KNOW catch up...

If you feel the need to lose one of those S and B 10x42...let me know :)

thanks for your reviews

That's all I ended up doing cause I couldn't wait for the "proper" dies to come out- you just need the following parts to swap out (assuming your dies are Reddings):

Redding part no. 11263, 6.5mm Decap assembly
Redding part no. 09167, VLD micrometer seating assembly
Neck bushings of proper size

question for your guys regarding dies, would it be possible to use my 7 saum bushing die with a 6.5 bushing?

Alright. I'll bite. I'm quite intrigued with this cartridge in a chambering from GAP. Questions for my adaptation would be:

Can my Templar SA run the AIAW mags required for the cartridge length? Also, can I add a magnum bolt to my Templar SA?

My apologies if this sounds too noob, but I'm learning.

Yes, And Yes, you need a new bolt and different mags your action will work just fine.

Alright. I'll bite. I'm quite intrigued with this cartridge in a chambering from GAP. Questions for my adaptation would be:

Can my Templar SA run the AIAW mags required for the cartridge length? Also, can I add a magnum bolt to my Templar SA?

As George has said already, they can get you a new bolt and you will run the Alpha Mags. They make a WSM magazine that has never given me an issue.